2015 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Now is probably a good time to look at the finals fixturing which was disappointing. I see 2 issues that need addressing:

1/ SANFL GF at Adelaide Oval, VFL GF at Etihad, QAFL GF......at Yeronga???. If a Gold Coast team finishes higher it has to be on the coast most people know an extra thousand people would have watched the GF on the Coast, also it is too much of a home ground disadvantage making the Coast side travel and please can it be a full size oval, kiddies ovals are for junior games.Neutral observers coming to Yeronga for the first time from the coast and interstate were not complimentary about facilities, let me put it nicely.

2/ If the ground is good enough to play on during the year it is good enough for finals unless something happens to change it, weather event etc.

These issues need to be addressed before the season starts.

thunderdoc

Team Captain
May 27, 2010
dimboola
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Now is probably a good time to look at the finals fixturing which was disappointing. I see 2 issues that need addressing:

1/ SANFL GF at Adelaide Oval, VFL GF at Etihad, QAFL GF......at Yeronga???. If a Gold Coast team finishes higher it has to be on the coast most people know an extra thousand people would have watched the GF on the Coast, also it is too much of a home ground disadvantage making the Coast side travel and please can it be a full size oval, kiddies ovals are for junior games.Neutral observers coming to Yeronga for the first time from the coast and interstate were not complimentary about facilities, let me put it nicely.

2/ If the ground is good enough to play on during the year it is good enough for finals unless something happens to change it, weather event etc.

These issues need to be addressed before the season starts.

No different to Brisbane sides having to travel to Carrara in past.
Zillmere v Southport at Carrara 2006.
Yeronga is a neutral venue and home of QAFL

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No different to Brisbane sides having to travel to Carrara in past.
Zillmere v Southport at Carrara 2006.
Yeronga is a neutral venue and home of QAFL

the point being, if a a GC side finishes top, then the GF should be played on the GC (not at their home venue) and vice versa for a Brisbane based side.

The fact that not only was the GF played at Yeronga, but Morningside got to play there 3 weeks in a row and fully familiarise themselves, while Labrador played there for the first time on GF day.

Totally agree that if a ground is good enough for a home & away game, its good enough for a final. Ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

The_Sherrin

Debutant
Apr 3, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Like it or not Yeronga is the Home of the QAFL, that's where the QAFL Grand Final should be played. Even though Coorparoo is a better option for parking and public transport.

I don't understand why anyone would feel sorry for Club that bought a Premiership! How times have changed!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blackdog32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Like it or not Yeronga is the Home of the QAFL, that's where the QAFL Grand Final should be played. Even though Coorparoo is a better option for parking and public transport.

I don't understand why anyone would feel sorry for Club that bought a Premiership! How times have changed!!!!

Have you ever thought of taking up debating?? Your thorough and sound justification of Yeronga being the logical choice is breathtaking.

I don't see anyone feeling sorry for 'the premiers' on here, just a discussion on GF location.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would imagine, unlike any of the other finals, that GF day needs to be organised more than 7 days in advance. Yeronga is the obvious choice. It isnt a kiddies oval LAB being the home of Qld footy - might be a bit smaller than say Southports but not ridiculous in size. FFS, if we can play an AFL final at the SCG reckon Yeronga's oval is plenty big enough.
As for the facilities - well QAFL isnt the #1 comp in Qld unlike VFL, SANFL, WAFL and I think if you go to watch say the NFL A grade final or the EDFL or EFL finals or just a top country league in Vic then the facilities are pretty well no different to what you get at Yeronga give or take some bigger grandstands but then they get 3x the crowd we would.
The major downfall in the fixturing of this years finals in nearly all grades from what i can tell is the lack of use of the local footy clubs themselves as venues. I've said it for a while but the only game that should be locked in is GF day, every other game the higher ranked team gets to play it at their home ground irrespective of facilities. Finals are a great money spinner for local clubs and this should be forefront of AFLQ's minds imo as it assists everyone including the AFLQ as clubs might pay their subs on time!!
Like a few of you have said, it is good enough for H&A and I'm not sure anyone in the QAFL for instance has really poor facilities bc this was supposed to be one of the pillars used to obtain entry to the QAFL 2 years ago!! If this was the case then Morningside would not have played 3 games at Yeronga. If there is real dispute about the standard of facilities then the fallback position would be Yeronga in Brisbane or say Surfers paradise / Broadbeach at the GC.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Its the home of the cronies that work there, not the home of the game.

I didn't see too many genuine Morningside Juniors running around for them either...

Their 250 game heroes in Doc and Abey are just recruits, live with the reality son.

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would imagine, unlike any of the other finals, that GF day needs to be organised more than 7 days in advance. Yeronga is the obvious choice. It isnt a kiddies oval LAB being the home of Qld footy - might be a bit smaller than say Southports but not ridiculous in size. FFS, if we can play an AFL final at the SCG reckon Yeronga's oval is plenty big enough.
SMY I thought I would have a look at playing surface size just in case you were right.

MCG 160m x 141m
Gabba 156m x 138m
Southport 165m x 140m
Broadbeach 171m x 131m
SCG 155m x 136m
Leyshon Park 160m x 124m

if you did the Ellipse area calculations it is very small,
EllipseArea530x409JPG.jpg

the only major oval i can find anywhere near that narrow is :

Subiaco 175.6m x 122.4m but as everyone knows it is very long.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good research there LAB but I think it would be fair to say that it isnt ridiculously short at all but like you said narrow compared to many others. Surface area would be less than all those mentioned above. I would still argue large enough to play a GF on - its when the 50m arc nearly hits the centre square that you are in trouble :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back