2015 QAFL | Page 29 | BigFooty
  1. Are you looking for Players, Coaches or Practice Matches for 2019?

Visit the classifieds board to view and post your requirements.

Dismiss Notice
  2. New Image Editor now Live

A basic image editor is now available to all users. Improvements are still in the works, but it is usable right now. Just hit "Edit Image" when you upload an image into a post. Try It ...

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

2015 QAFL

Discussion in 'Queensland Footy' started by 2010premier, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ablett

ablett Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Perry Mecka to take over at Labrador?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Blackdog32

Blackdog32 Senior List

Essendon
    Labrador Senior B & F results

Adam Clarke B & F 144 votes
    Adam Baird runner up 61 votes
    Billy Hicks & Josh Baxter 57 votes

3. Lifes a Beach1

Lifes a Beach1 Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Yes

4. ark n go

ark n go Team Captain

North Melbourne
    How did the other boys from Tatura go?

5. Lifes a Beach1

Gold Coast
    Young & Ryan had very good seasons, as did Thorsen who is from somewhere near I think.

6. Lifes a Beach1

Gold Coast
    Now is probably a good time to look at the finals fixturing which was disappointing. I see 2 issues that need addressing:

1/ SANFL GF at Adelaide Oval, VFL GF at Etihad, QAFL GF......at Yeronga???. If a Gold Coast team finishes higher it has to be on the coast most people know an extra thousand people would have watched the GF on the Coast, also it is too much of a home ground disadvantage making the Coast side travel and please can it be a full size oval, kiddies ovals are for junior games.Neutral observers coming to Yeronga for the first time from the coast and interstate were not complimentary about facilities, let me put it nicely.

2/ If the ground is good enough to play on during the year it is good enough for finals unless something happens to change it, weather event etc.

These issues need to be addressed before the season starts.

7. thunderdoc

thunderdoc Senior List

Brisbane Lions

No different to Brisbane sides having to travel to Carrara in past.
    Zillmere v Southport at Carrara 2006.
    Yeronga is a neutral venue and home of QAFL

8. Lifes a Beach1

Gold Coast
    Two wrongs don't make a right Doc, and I count 2010 & 2015 now as against 2006.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  9. damochandler

damochandler Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    where do you play it? carara would be stupid with only 2 thousand people just squeezed into one area

10. Lifes a Beach1

Gold Coast
    Probably Southport, but plenty of choice also Broadbeach , Surfers Paradise or Labrador depending on who is playing.

11. Dezario

Dezario Team Captain

Geelong
    Broadbeach is ideal, has the best atmosphere for 360 degree viewing and has had very successful gf days there in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. QAFL_Fan

QAFL_Fan Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    the point being, if a a GC side finishes top, then the GF should be played on the GC (not at their home venue) and vice versa for a Brisbane based side.

The fact that not only was the GF played at Yeronga, but Morningside got to play there 3 weeks in a row and fully familiarise themselves, while Labrador played there for the first time on GF day.

Totally agree that if a ground is good enough for a home & away game, its good enough for a final. Ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

13. The_Sherrin

The_Sherrin Debutant

Brisbane Lions
    Like it or not Yeronga is the Home of the QAFL, that's where the QAFL Grand Final should be played. Even though Coorparoo is a better option for parking and public transport.

I don't understand why anyone would feel sorry for Club that bought a Premiership! How times have changed!!!!

14. Blackdog32

Blackdog32 Senior List

Essendon
    Have you ever thought of taking up debating?? Your thorough and sound justification of Yeronga being the logical choice is breathtaking.

I don't see anyone feeling sorry for 'the premiers' on here, just a discussion on GF location.

15. smy1305

smy1305 Premiership Player

Gold Coast
    I would imagine, unlike any of the other finals, that GF day needs to be organised more than 7 days in advance. Yeronga is the obvious choice. It isnt a kiddies oval LAB being the home of Qld footy - might be a bit smaller than say Southports but not ridiculous in size. FFS, if we can play an AFL final at the SCG reckon Yeronga's oval is plenty big enough.
    As for the facilities - well QAFL isnt the #1 comp in Qld unlike VFL, SANFL, WAFL and I think if you go to watch say the NFL A grade final or the EDFL or EFL finals or just a top country league in Vic then the facilities are pretty well no different to what you get at Yeronga give or take some bigger grandstands but then they get 3x the crowd we would.
    The major downfall in the fixturing of this years finals in nearly all grades from what i can tell is the lack of use of the local footy clubs themselves as venues. I've said it for a while but the only game that should be locked in is GF day, every other game the higher ranked team gets to play it at their home ground irrespective of facilities. Finals are a great money spinner for local clubs and this should be forefront of AFLQ's minds imo as it assists everyone including the AFLQ as clubs might pay their subs on time!!
    Like a few of you have said, it is good enough for H&A and I'm not sure anyone in the QAFL for instance has really poor facilities bc this was supposed to be one of the pillars used to obtain entry to the QAFL 2 years ago!! If this was the case then Morningside would not have played 3 games at Yeronga. If there is real dispute about the standard of facilities then the fallback position would be Yeronga in Brisbane or say Surfers paradise / Broadbeach at the GC.

16. QAFL_Fan

QAFL_Fan Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Its the home of the cronies that work there, not the home of the game.

I didn't see too many genuine Morningside Juniors running around for them either...

Their 250 game heroes in Doc and Abey are just recruits, live with the reality son.

17. Dezario

Dezario Team Captain

Geelong
    Does anyone know when the 2016 draw is released?

18. QAFL_Fan

QAFL_Fan Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    BrotherofChunk likes this.
  19. BrotherofChunk

BrotherofChunk All Australian

St Kilda
  20. QAFL_Fan

QAFL_Fan Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    he would have blown 0.07 at 1/4 time in the QAFL prelim

21. Lifes a Beach1

Gold Coast
    Firstly the AFL does their's then the NEAFL , then the QAFL etc.Last year I think it was around early December.

22. smy1305

Gold Coast
  23. Lifes a Beach1

Gold Coast
    SMY I thought I would have a look at playing surface size just in case you were right.

MCG 160m x 141m
    Gabba 156m x 138m
    Southport 165m x 140m
    Broadbeach 171m x 131m
    SCG 155m x 136m
    Leyshon Park 160m x 124m

if you did the Ellipse area calculations it is very small, [​IMG]
    the only major oval i can find anywhere near that narrow is :

Subiaco 175.6m x 122.4m but as everyone knows it is very long.

24. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Good research there LAB but I think it would be fair to say that it isnt ridiculously short at all but like you said narrow compared to many others. Surface area would be less than all those mentioned above. I would still argue large enough to play a GF on - its when the 50m arc nearly hits the centre square that you are in trouble :)

25. sexualninja

sexualninja Senior List

Sydney
    Lets get serious here. All GF's should be played at Scottsdale Drive. Hitting the powerlines is 3pts and ball returns to the centre for the bounce.

Lifes a Beach1 likes this.