2015 QFA North

Remove this Banner Ad

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been told by numerous source TT that live on the sth side and watch a few games and then come and watch the odd north game. And not that it is a magnificent rule of thumb but Maroochy absolutely belted Coorparoo at the start of the year..
Would be interesting to pit the best sides together next year but the AFLQ in their wisdom think better of it...
So, in summary, you've based your opinion on hearsay and one practice match, fair enough then. Having read many of your posts before, I realise that you're an intelligent person with good ideas and reasoned judgement, so it surprised me to see you make such a claim with no real evidence to support it. As you say, we will never really know for sure anyway so it's a moot point really.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watched both leagues regularly this year and last year.

Last year Springwood and Mayne were clear standouts in both divisions, I would have found it hard to say who would have been stronger - but probably leaning towards Springwood.

This year, Mayne are a better side than they were last year, as are Noosa and Maroochydoore. While Springwood have gone backwards significantly, but are still a potential Premier.

From what I have seen, if you combined the 2 divisions, the ladder would go Mayne, Noosa, Maroochy, Coops, Springwood. Nth top 3 are far stronger.

Johnny Demon

Debutant
Apr 21, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watched both leagues regularly this year and last year.

Last year Springwood and Mayne were clear standouts in both divisions, I would have found it hard to say who would have been stronger - but probably leaning towards Springwood.

This year, Mayne are a better side than they were last year, as are Noosa and Maroochydoore. While Springwood have gone backwards significantly, but are still a potential Premier.

From what I have seen, if you combined the 2 divisions, the ladder would go Mayne, Noosa, Maroochy, Coops, Springwood. Nth top 3 are far stronger.

I agree that the five teams are the standouts in both comps, maybe not in that order, but it would be the making of a state league div 2 and allow the other teams in the QFA North and South to develop and provide a better comp for the top QFA north and South sides. Maybe even be apart of a relegation promotion between State League and a division 2, just a thought.

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
Determining leagues purely on geography is a nice idea in theory, but at this level all it's done is create horrendously lopsided competitions. If clubs are prepared to spend big on top tier talent, they should also be willing to travel in order to face opposition of similar quality. You can't have it both ways.

I haven't seen any QFA South games this year, so this is based purely on ladder positions. But would something like this make for more evenly-matched comps?

QFA Div 1
Noosa
Maroochydore
Mayne
Coorparoo
-----
Yeronga
Kenmore
Springwood
Burleigh

QFA Div 2
Nambour
Caloundra
Moreton Bay
Aspley
-----
Alexandra Hills
Coomera
Robina
Coolangatta-Tweed

Play every team your side of the division three times, and all the teams the other side twice, making 17 games in total.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Determining leagues purely on geography is a nice idea in theory, but at this level all it's done is create horrendously lopsided competitions. If clubs are prepared to spend big on top tier talent, they should also be willing to travel in order to face opposition of similar quality. You can't have it both ways.

I haven't seen any QFA South games this year, so this is based purely on ladder positions. But would something like this make for more evenly-matched comps?

QFA Div 1
Noosa
Maroochydore
Mayne
Coorparoo
-----
Yeronga
Kenmore
Springwood
Burleigh

QFA Div 2
Nambour
Caloundra
Moreton Bay
Aspley
-----
Alexandra Hills
Coomera
Robina
Coolangatta-Tweed

Play every team your side of the division three times, and all the teams the other side twice, making 17 games in total.
I agree Danny. Geographical divisions are treat for purely amateur footy but not for the top sides in these comps.
Add caloundra in to the div 1 mix, they would be as good as the 5th best Sth team. And yep, play everyone twice h&a and the teams in your region 3x so 17 game session. Basically means u travel a substantial distance 4x for the year and even then unless it Is to to the gold/Sunshine Coast not horrendous distances.
Not perfect but better than travelling 15min to win / lose by 150 pts.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And great win by maroochy today v noosa. Was reasonably even up to half time although maroochs kicking for goal was ordinary. After half time all one way traffic.
Sets up a ripper GF v mayne next week.

abcd1

Rookie
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nambour only has a few low paid players the teams made up of juniors and locals. Change to a lower division would suit them better.

From the boundary

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2012
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
Phew fort u got this one wrong mate!

And I did not even get to see it.
The Old Boy (87) wanted to go to watch the Lions a bit hard to say know especially this weekend. He got a bit carried away with the led changing so many times but still managed to have a beer or two when he got home.

Now can I jump on Maroochydore for next week.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And I did not even get to see it.
The Old Boy (87) wanted to go to watch the Lions a bit hard to say know especially this weekend. He got a bit carried away with the led changing so many times but still managed to have a beer or two when he got home.

Now can I jump on Maroochydore for next week.

Blood oath mate. :)

sexualninja

Senior List
Aug 23, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Sydney
That's a great idea Danny. Yeronga may only last the maiden season and be replaced by Caloundra or perhaps even MB with some more development.
It's the answer to more competitive footy. How much longer will Nambour, Cooly, Alex Hills get belted before they see mass exodus of players looking for just a wiff of a win here and there.

Geography didn't work. How much longer will AFLQ flog the dead horse, that's the 64k question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Demon

Debutant
Apr 21, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
That's a great idea Danny. Yeronga may only last the maiden season and be replaced by Caloundra or perhaps even MB with some more development.
It's the answer to more competitive footy. How much longer will Nambour, Cooly, Alex Hills get belted before they see mass exodus of players looking for just a wiff of a win here and there.

Geography didn't work. How much longer will AFLQ flog the dead horse, that's the 64k question.
There is only one way for the South East Qld comp to go and that is Division system, form State league down, with promotion and relegation. Queensland footy can no longer continue to artificially managed by people with invested interests, let the market decide. How about it AFLQ it would be for the benefit of everyone and might even grow the game in Qld instead of relying on the Lions to be successful.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah I can see the geographical argument but I think the ability for clubs to develop it is obviously handy if they aren't getting majorly flogged every week. I agree that a divisional set up is probably the best way to go although it has been good to have some real good local rival battles on the sunshine coast the past couple of years - certainly more $$ are taken..
I just think with the design of the Colts comps where travel is reasonable, that most guys coming thru will accept this is part & parcel of the code and if they don't then there is another comp in their area that will accommodate this.
Certainly I think better than being smashed every week but hey, we only had to travel 15min to achieve this...

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
the issue with pure divisional footy is that teams from places like the Sunny Coast, and possibly Toowoomba in the future turn into pseudo rep teams instead of club teams and certain elements of a footy club are lost in the process.

I absolutely agree with the concept of pure division based football, but its not perfect by any stretch.

It has always been strange that nominal Division 2 footy is geography based, but Div 3 footy isn't.

In hindsight, QFA should be something like Noosa, Mayne, Maroochy, Springwood, Coorparoo, Kenmore, Burleigh, Yeronga and then the rest of the QFA clubs should combine with QAFA A to make a north and south league. Surely would have made more sense??

Clubs interested in promotion from the nth/sth leagues need to meet certain criteria, and relegatin shouldn't be enforced to allow for promotion. (maybe cap QFA at 10 teams?)

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There won't b a Sunshine Coast team from SC I reckon thommo, but a club team. If players want to play they will. The absolute hatred of each other on the coast slowly is dissipating as the older blokes who belted the suitcases out of each other in the 80s move on!!
I agree with your other sentiments too.

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
the issue with pure divisional footy is that teams from places like the Sunny Coast, and possibly Toowoomba in the future turn into pseudo rep teams instead of club teams and certain elements of a footy club are lost in the process.

I absolutely agree with the concept of pure division based football, but its not perfect by any stretch.

It has always been strange that nominal Division 2 footy is geography based, but Div 3 footy isn't.

In hindsight, QFA should be something like Noosa, Mayne, Maroochy, Springwood, Coorparoo, Kenmore, Burleigh, Yeronga and then the rest of the QFA clubs should combine with QAFA A to make a north and south league. Surely would have made more sense??

Clubs interested in promotion from the nth/sth leagues need to meet certain criteria, and relegatin shouldn't be enforced to allow for promotion. (maybe cap QFA at 10 teams?)
Combining the rest of the QFA clubs with qafa a wouldn't work. With the exception of Cooly & Nambour, there's too bigger gap between the other QFA sides and qafa a

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee whiz TT - be careful where you put that statement out... :)
Having been involved in both comps over the last few years, I reckon I'm in as good a position as any to make that call-- also had players who have played in both this year say the same thing.... but I see where you're coming from

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
haha - put that comment on the QAFA (A) site and I will just sit back and read....

Not disagreeing with you, just that good sides in the comps below always think they will be more than competitive in the comps above - I'm sure this mind set exists among some players in Nth/Sth divisions and QAFL too.

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
haha - put that comment on the QAFA (A) site and I will just sit back and read....

Not disagreeing with you, just that good sides in the comps below always think they will be more than competitive in the comps above - I'm sure this mind set exists among some players in Nth/Sth divisions and QAFL too.
Gee thanks SMY, reckon I'd want you in front of me at all times if we were in prison

abcd1

Rookie
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There's only one sure fire way to even up the competitions and that's to take away the geographic location factor and even it up by looking at team results. I'm sure the bottom teams would thrive in a closer competition therefore not minding an hour or more trip. Playing at Nambour all year I wasn't a fan of being belted every game but it was good experience to play in a higher quality competition. I think the teams are just too far apart quality wise.

BigE

All Australian
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
There's only one sure fire way to even up the competitions and that's to take away the geographic location factor and even it up by looking at team results. I'm sure the bottom teams would thrive in a closer competition therefore not minding an hour or more trip. Playing at Nambour all year I wasn't a fan of being belted every game but it was good experience to play in a higher quality competition. I think the teams are just too far apart quality wise.
correct the top 3 were far too good for the rest. Caloundra and MB improved, but still a fair way off them. Im sure teams wouldnt mind the extra travel to play against more evenly matched teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back