2015 QFA North

Remove this Banner Ad

BigE

All Australian
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Its an absolute disgrace Big E. They will not be replaced. While we run with 6 teams the south will have 10. Maybe time the clubs got together and demanded more. Whats more our competition and no offence to her, is being run by someone from surf club background. The competition was once a vibrant, competitive and well run comp, but now seems to be a neglected orphan! The administrators make up the rules on the run to please themselves and pay lip service to our clubs. Very hard to 1. Keep players interested in playing against so few sides and 2. Bring in new ones. Nambour were always going to pull out and Aflq knew it, you would think a smart organisation would have a contingency plan in place!
I agree 6 team comp is not ideal. Minimum of 8 teams or 1 large comp is the obvious choice. Having a QFA comp split by region was always going to be hard to manage

Lensen

You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Other problem AFLQ has is if they decide to go 2 x 8 team comps, the 3 you'd think are contenders to go north - Kenmore/Coorparoo/Yeronga - are 3 of the stronger teams in the south comp, which is already probably weaker than the north comp

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The south comp is far stronger in terms of depth, but the top 2-3 sides in the North are much better.

Kenmore/Coorparoo wouldn't want to go North because they would consider themselves premiership hopes in the South, whereas they wouldn't get near Mayne or Maroochydoore if they go North even though they would still both play finals in either comp

Johnny Demon

Debutant
Apr 21, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other problem AFLQ has is if they decide to go 2 x 8 team comps, the 3 you'd think are contenders to go north - Kenmore/Coorparoo/Yeronga - are 3 of the stronger teams in the south comp, which is already probably weaker than the north comp

I wonder if the Alpha Sports pre season comp structure is a better reflection of the QAFL/QFA/QAFA comps and where teams sit and should sit. Pool A - QAFL, Pool B - Div 2 QAFL (Add in Noosa), Pool C - Div 3 QFA and Pool D - Div 4 QAFA

Blocker Roach

All Australian
Mar 14, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wonder if the Alpha Sports pre season comp structure is a better reflection of the QAFL/QFA/QAFA comps and where teams sit and should sit. Pool A - QAFL, Pool B - Div 2 QAFL (Add in Noosa), Pool C - Div 3 QFA and Pool D - Div 4 QAFA

Problem with that Johny D is that some clubs won't be at full strength with players still committed to cricket and other sports and some clubs will tank to be put in a competition where they think they are chance of winning a premiership .

The sooner all comps are sorted the better and maybe a relegation and going up rule put in place might work.

To many clubs been down the bottom of their respective competition is not good for anyone.

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
AFLQ pushing ahead with six team comp. Unbelievable.

Attachments

• 2016 QFA North Fixture - FINAL (Seniors).pdf
    227.4 KB · Views: 106

Toucan Soup

Team Captain
Mar 22, 2006
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gosh! That is genuinely disappointing.
And 16 rounds for 6 teams?
In a year when the Lions have been allocated an unprecedented number of Saturday afternoon homes games, clubs of all grades will have to get creative with their own games (particularly for the clash games of Hawthorn, West Coast, & Carlton).
There is a risk that both the Lions and the local clubs will suffer as a consequence.

Johnny Demon

Debutant
Apr 21, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Absolutely disrespect to clubs and players
If you go six teams 15 rounds but should be a min of 8 teams but then again AFLQ have other priorities

I think they took the easy option. They would have had a 7 team comp until Nambour dropped out.
They new last year that Nambour was pulling out and did nothing.

joshooaa

Senior List
Feb 23, 2006
Middle Earth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Panton Hill
Can anyone who is unbiased give me an idea of where what the standard of footy is like in this league, compared to various suburban or country leagues.

Would be greatly apprieciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

swamp13

Senior List
Aug 27, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd, San Antonio, taker
...sorry i neglected to say compared to Victorian suburban or country leagues.thanks.
Hey mate. I played the first half of last year with Noosa, and the second half down in the BFL for Barwon heads. They are very similar in skill. There are two differences but. Vic leagues are more physical but the qld leagues are fitter. Hope that helps.

BigE

All Australian
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
I think they took the easy option. They would have had a 7 team comp until Nambour dropped out.
They new last year that Nambour was pulling out and did nothing.
The problem i see is AFLQ are asking south teams to come across. They need to be telling them they are joining the comp. Especially when it will be 1 comp in season 2017

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
The problem i see is AFLQ are asking south teams to come across. They need to be telling them they are joining the comp. Especially when it will be 1 comp in season 2017

Do you know this for sure?

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From what I heard early last year, coorparoo offered to go to the nth div and the league knocked them back!! Can't blame the Sth sides for this ridiculous situation.

BigE

All Australian
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
From what I heard early last year, coorparoo offered to go to the nth div and the league knocked them back!! Can't blame the Sth sides for this ridiculous situation.
If that's correct surely coorparoo should come across for 2016.
If shoe was on the other foot. Sth comp would be pushing for Aspley and Mayne to come across

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would say a few clubs botched it too Damo - cant blame headquarters if clubs insist on playing in a certain division only to be shown that their infrastructure was never going to stand up. Dont worry, I think that there needs to be a bit of steel in the decision making but for every decision made, there will always be someone / some club that is grossly unhappy. For instance I'm not sure the south comp (of which none of this is their making) would be overly happy if a couple of their best sides were to be parachuted north, and maybe some of their players wouldnt either? eg, if kenmore came across then a few blokes nick off to Yeronga.
The bottom line is we are slowly moving back to a model from the mid 90's where the best few sunshine coast teams will play with the 2nd tier Brisbane sides (BAFL) and the gold coast will become one again. The major difference bn then and now is that the gold coast can afford to run their own comp without too much weakening of standard due to the enormous population growth in that region from Beenleigh south. This is an area that is the 7th largest population region in Australia.
The other major difference bn then and now is that the drive between Bris and sunshine coast is significantly faster / easier than it was in the 90's. With toll roads, road widening and the Gateway, most grounds are no more than 90min from each other (Noosa add another 30min). Not sure this is a massive disincentive for players when it occurs less than 1x/mth in the main.
The sooner the 2 comps, nth and sth are combined the better. Should have had wheels in motion at the end of 2015 season but not enough will and with Conlan moving on and changing of the guard, maybe it wasnt a priority, but it is absolute common sense. The AFLQ have made good ground with the QAFL (albeit UQ are still there) but the next tier down needs restructuring which will in turn provide greater strength to the divisions below.

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
Gosh! That is genuinely disappointing.
And 16 rounds for 6 teams?
In a year when the Lions have been allocated an unprecedented number of Saturday afternoon homes games, clubs of all grades will have to get creative with their own games (particularly for the clash games of Hawthorn, West Coast, & Carlton).
There is a risk that both the Lions and the local clubs will suffer as a consequence.

Yeah, let's cannibalise our game by pitting the professional and amateur grades against each other, and forcing supporters to choose. Brilliant! More proof that the VFL brains trust have no idea how cutthroat the market is up here.

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, let's cannibalise our game by pitting the professional and amateur grades against each other, and forcing supporters to choose. Brilliant! More proof that the VFL brains trust have no idea how cutthroat the market is up here.
Maybe it's got to a stage that the market for afl has become so small on the nth side that it doesn't warrant a strictly singular northern competition anymore. Maybe the only answer is to put Mayne and Noosa back into qafl, Maroochydore and Caloundra into QFA and Aspley 3rds and Moreton Bay into qafa a. It's not the perfect solution, but it's better than the current situation. Let's face it, if Moreton & Aspley go through another poor season, they're not going to want stay at that level either ( like Nambour ) and the result will be players leaving those clubs for another club with a better chance of success. Under the current model, you could then end up with 5 or even 4 sides in the nth comp next year. I, for one, really feel for you blokes who love your footy up there, it's a mess, and from what I see, not of your making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back