2015 QFA South

Remove this Banner Ad

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Yep well done to Robina, they came up the highway with a plan and they played it to perfection. It wasn't pretty but it was very well executed and they were very disciplined in how they went about it. Some lessons for the Pumas to work on (and they will learn from it and come through the other side better for it and better prepared to deal with that type of game plan) and I reckon this won't be the first upset caused by the Roos this season.

np_#1

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2011
beenleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep well done to Robina, they came up the highway with a plan and they played it to perfection. It wasn't pretty but it was very well executed and they were very disciplined in how they went about it. Some lessons for the Pumas to work on (and they will learn from it and come through the other side better for it and better prepared to deal with that type of game plan) and I reckon this won't be the first upset caused by the Roos this season.

agree, I seen robina play yeronga on a Saturday night and up until the start of the last term roos were well and truly in the game . And only went down by 2 points to kenmore round 1 and kept coorparoo to under 15 goals and be in it late is a feather in there cap . I think when they are back to full strength they will push some sides and could round out the 5 possibly but early days . Coomera wow ... um that's concerning .

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Is the plan you speak of a 9 or 10 person backline from the start of the game?

They started with 9 defenders at the first bounce against the Kings too.

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Is the plan you speak of a 9 or 10 person backline from the start of the game?

They started with 9 defenders at the first bounce against the Kings too.
Haha not quite QAFL Fan but your'e on the right track. Pumas just needed to be smarter and work through that. But as I said well done to them that was their plan and it worked, good on them.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree, I'm sure there is far more to it than that as Pearson is a very good coach who knows what he is doing.

I just had to laugh, because I know a few Kings boys who complained incessantly about Robina playing 9 defenders from the first bounce and 'protecting their percentage' when I know Pearson would have had something a bit more complicated than flooding his backline in mind.

Good on you for not having the same gripe!

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree, I'm sure there is far more to it than that as Pearson is a very good coach who knows what he is doing.

I just had to laugh, because I know a few Kings boys who complained incessantly about Robina playing 9 defenders from the first bounce and 'protecting their percentage' when I know Pearson would have had something a bit more complicated than flooding his backline in mind.

Good on you for not having the same gripe!
No, no gripes at all that's the way footy goes, you play to your strengths and you hope that gets you over the line. The onus is on oppositions to come up with a way to deal with it. Some defensive type games are often the most intriguing, it was certainly exciting with the ball in Springwoods 50 for the last 5 minutes but against 18 Roo defenders! I reckon there was 10ball ups in that last few minutes. That's exactly what I would have done protecting a small lead that late in the game so can't complain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Really? Guy I know from Yeronga said that the 1's side was already organising to use Yeronga 3rds to ensure a game went ahead and that was Thursday..

I know it is a 2 edged sword but you would love to pee off those who just didn't roll up. Not the greatest support of a footy club I've ever heard about..

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really? Guy I know from Yeronga said that the 1's side was already organising to use Yeronga 3rds to ensure a game went ahead and that was Thursday..

I know it is a 2 edged sword but you would love to pee off those who just didn't roll up. Not the greatest support of a footy club I've ever heard about..
Well that would be misinformation as the 1's had a full side named on Thursday. Suspect the yeronga 3rds would have been used to top up the twos.

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
their 2's won't field a team again this year.
What's your source for this info? Stab in the dark? Nobody from the club are saying this. The truth is there may be a couple of future games where the same thing will happen but most games will see two sides run out at this point in time --- once again qafl fan, if you don't know, why comment ?

Last edited:

KP number 4

Senior List
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
What's your source for this info? Stab in the dark? Nobody from the club are saying this. The truth is there may be a couple of future games where the same thing will happen but most games will see two sides run out at this point in time --- once again qafl fan, if you don't know, why comment ?

This man knows he's stuff

commish1234

Debutant
May 11, 2010
brisbane
AFL Club
Fremantle

I heard the same Yeronga 3rds were going to top up the seconds but there was a miscommunication and nothing actually happened .

Gerry4

Senior List
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Now I have the utmost sympathy for the players who were let down by their 'team mates' on the weekend, however in the future should this scenario occur where 15 players or whatever it was just not rock up, shouldn't the club be suspended from the comp for the rest of the season. Surely cancelling the reserves team altogether at this stage seems the right call. Different if half the team came down with gastro and therefore they could guarantee this won't occur again.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I heard the same Yeronga 3rds were going to top up the seconds but there was a miscommunication and nothing actually happened .
Yeah may have been reserves but only 13 blokes rocked up to play A grade.... .
Either way tough times ahead for this footy club. Shithouse situation to be in and haven't even got to halfway in the year.

swamp13

Senior List
Aug 27, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd, San Antonio, taker
We had a full side until we had 9 pull out game day and another 4 just not show, yes ridiculous but it happen,
Wow gotta feel for you guys, such a shame. You guys were making improvement every year in this Comp. are the players that bailed trying to transfer to a different team/league now?

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now I have the utmost sympathy for the players who were let down by their 'team mates' on the weekend, however in the future should this scenario occur where 15 players or whatever it was just not rock up, shouldn't the club be suspended from the comp for the rest of the season. Surely cancelling the reserves team altogether at this stage seems the right call. Different if half the team came down with gastro and therefore they could guarantee this won't occur again.
This club or its players don't need your sympathy, they just need to work through some problems, which I have no doubt they will. This is a club that was only formed 6-7 years ago and in a short space of time, have been enormously successful, winning their way up from 4th division to second division. Yet at the first sign of trouble we have people like you suggesting they should be booted from the comp. Open your eyes and you'll find lots of clubs across all divisions have their problems and/or are struggling. Do we boot them too? Thankfully not everyone thinks like you and other people are offering their support to assist the club through a difficult patch. They're all big boys at the club and I'm sure they'd take your comments with a grain of salt.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
This club or its players don't need your sympathy, they just need to work through some problems, which I have no doubt they will. This is a club that was only formed 6-7 years ago and in a short space of time, have been enormously successful, winning their way up from 4th division to second division. Yet at the first sign of trouble we have people like you suggesting they should be booted from the comp. Open your eyes and you'll find lots of clubs across all divisions have their problems and/or are struggling. Do we boot them too? Thankfully not everyone thinks like you and other people are offering their support to assist the club through a difficult patch. They're all big boys at the club and I'm sure they'd take your comments with a grain of salt.

It's easy for people to criticise a club but you don't see them getting involved to help find a solution.

Coomera is placed in a big growth area with the nearest clubs being Labrador & Beenleigh so numbers shouldn't be an issue, that's not a criticism but a fact, I don't know the inner operations of the club hence I won't comment on them but once a club get the right team of decision makers onboard off the field then the team on the field generally tend to flourish.

Gerry4

Senior List
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Well doesn't sound like there are too many left there to receive my sympathy anyway. What about all the opposition teams you stuff about because half your team can't 'be bothered' showing up? If you can't guarantee two teams for the rest of the season, shouldn't you consolidate the 1 team and not just decide you'll have to forfeit on the day every now and then?

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well doesn't sound like there are too many left there to receive my sympathy anyway. What about all the opposition teams you stuff about because half your team can't 'be bothered' showing up? If you can't guarantee two teams for the rest of the season, shouldn't you consolidate the 1 team and not just decide you'll have to forfeit on the day every now and then?
And the other clubs with similar problems, do we do the same to them as well? Pretty soon you'd end up with even less clubs running around. Ffs it's the first time it's happened at Coomera and you want to kill them off. You obviously don't have much of an idea about the hard work that goes on at every club just to field 2 sides, let alone the off field stuff. Wonder what you'd be saying if it was your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back