Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of late-blooming Bens in Keays and McKay flying up the list based on their last 15-20 games or so. Noticed there are three outstanding rookie picks in this draft too in Papley, McDonald-Tipungwuti, and Dan Houston.

Couple of late-blooming Bens in Keays and McKay flying up the list based on their last 15-20 games or so. Noticed there are three outstanding rookie picks in this draft too in Papley, McDonald-Tipungwuti, and Dan Houston.

Houston doesn’t get enough credit. Not often you find such a complete player so late in the draft.

Weideman has a long way to go to get close to justifying his selection but we also picked the best player in the draft so not complaining too much.

Callum Mills has been quite good this year too.

Weideman has a long way to go to get close to justifying his selection but we also picked the best player in the draft so not complaining too much.

KPF is a really tough position. Weideman has shown enough to me that he could quite easily switch to CHB and be a very good AFL player.

Would still take Weitering without a second thought but Clayton is awesome.

Hell, I would take Dunkley over Oliver. Has a more flexible game style.
That’s like criticising Sam Mitchell because he was ordinary at centre half forward. Elite players don’t need to play a second position.

That’s like criticising Sam Mitchell because he was ordinary at centre half forward. Elite players don’t need to play a second position.
It’s not necessarily a criticism, just a statement of fact. Or a compliment to Dunkley.

I reckon it would be a legitimate toss of the coin job and you could easily lean towards Dunkley because of his greater versatility and ability to hit the scoreboard.

Hell, I would take Dunkley over Oliver. Has a more flexible game style.
meh

He has pretty much been the best contested player in the league from day 1

Will be AA again this year unless something strange happens which will make it 2 AA's gurnseys & another squad. Whereas Dunkley had an elite 10-12 weeks t the end of 19 and a really good 5 games this year, other than that he has done sweet * all really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, Dunkley's been elite since the middle of 2018.

Both good players in the stoppages, but Dunkley has a better outside running game and more versatility. I'd take him over Oliver in a heartbeat.
was far from elite last year

Dunkley could go past Oliver long term I rate him highly but until he starts chalked up the accolades that Oliver already has I wont rate him higher

Dunkley is a good stoppage player but he is no where near the contested beast that Oliver is (tbf the only one who was close was Cripps until he feel off a cliff so thats no knock on him)

Tough call for me. Oliver has the better body of work but he was just ineffective in so many games last year. Quick kicks to no one have regularly been a feature of his game when it just hasn’t for Dunkley. Oliver also plays under the best rap ruckman in the comp so pulling raw inside stats to say he’s a much better player doesn’t really fly with me.

That being said I’d probably pick Oliver out of the two as I think he’s the better athlete and seems less injury prone.

Tough call for me. Oliver has the better body of work but he was just ineffective in so many games last year. Quick kicks to no one have regularly been a feature of his game when it just hasn’t for Dunkley. Oliver also plays under the best rap ruckman in the comp so pulling raw inside stats to say he’s a much better player doesn’t really fly with me.

That being said I’d probably pick Oliver out of the two as I think he’s the better athlete and seems less injury prone.
I get the argument that Oliver plays under Gawn so his clearance work is helped out. But in 2017 Oliver played without Gawn for more than half a season and his clearance numbers and contested numbers didn't drop at all. His won the b&f and still finished 6th in the coaches votes, how he didn't make the AA team that year is still mystifying

I get the argument that Oliver plays under Gawn so his clearance work is helped out. But in 2017 Oliver played without Gawn for more than half a season and his clearance numbers and contested numbers didn't drop at all. His won the b&f and still finished 6th in the coaches votes, how he didn't make the AA team that year is still mystifying
Oliver in front with the runs on the board but in 2021 there was nothing between them. A few more touches by Oliver off set by Dunkley better ball use. It’s a shame Dunkley is out - he was playing AA standard footy.

Oliver in front with the runs on the board but in 2021 there was nothing between them. A few more touches by Oliver off set by Dunkley better ball use. It’s a shame Dunkley is out - he was playing AA standard footy.
yeah there wasn't much between them this year

Imo Oliver is getting under rated this year on his performances, has been better than Petracca but Petracca gets all of the media love

Parish, Francis, Redman starting to turn into a nice draft for us, all 3 definitely best 22 players with Parish a top 10 player on the list.
I agree except I would place Parish in your top 3 players. I stated just after he made his debut that your mob had drafted a great player. It has taken him a little while to reach that standard but he is there. He will be all Australian if his form continues.

Parish rising. Second in the competition for centre clearances and 5th in the competition for total clearances (only two clearances behind Oliver) despite playing a significant portion of his first two games as a forward.

Good draft for us with Francis, Redman and Walla as well.

Hugh Greenwood deserving of a little more credit in this thread.

48 in the rookie draft as a category B rookie and has led the league in tackles for 2 years now, as well as being top 5 in contested possessions and clearances in the same timeframe.

his only downside is being a mature recruit but he's improved each season he's played.

At this stage, with who Carlton picked up, Silvagni and Cunningham aside, I wouldn't change their order of picks.

Weitering and McKay have extended their rather big gaps separating those 2 and Curnow who's narrowly in front of Jack and Cunningham.

It may or not be their best but, so far, this is the tightest knit that Carlton has drafted for a long time and all 5 players are in their 6th season.

can't think of too many drafts with only one top 10 bust. or 2x top 20 (Kennedy along with Schache)

this was borderline a failure for us for a bit there.
Parish in his right spot
Francis looking confident & building to talent i was pumped for when he was a kid
Redman gives us grunt, run and doesn't mind a goal either!
Tippa....i thought we burned a pick. never thought he'd make it from what i saw at VFL level. Love that i was wrong.

Rory Sloane?

So you reckon he will be a league top 5 midfielder?

Very optimistic imo.

i reckon he will be more at the Zaharakis level. Good walk up best 22 player, but no star

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Never going to threaten the absolute freaks but I think he can get to Lachie Neale/Rory Sloane/Steele Sidebottom type levels who are all probably described as stars by most.

I reckon I nailed Parish’s potential back in 2018. Pat on the back to me.

Lachie Neale improved a bit since then though.

And no. Parish would not walk in to carltons midfield.

Was dumb then even dumber now with the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:
I reckon I nailed Parish’s potential back in 2018. Pat on the back to me.

Lachie Neale improved a bit since then though.

Was dumb then even dumber now with the benefit of hindsight.
I love this - show's who has a chip on their shoulder. Parish would not have walked in to the Carlton midfield when this quote was made; he was bog ordinary back then (after 3 years in the system). Now you roll out the hindsight quote.

Weren't you the one telling the world how average Weitering was and how Carlton had stuffed up the no.1 pick?

Hindsight...the power source of all keyboard warriors...

Good on young Parish, he's certainly taken his opportunity with Shiel's injury and developed in to a very good onballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back