Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree about lockdown KPDs being overly valuable players. Defending is almost entirely a team based now. The dogs are getting away with playing VFL standard KPDs next to Keath as well as playing Daniel as a defender. Having a good defence is far more out pressuring the ball carrier and getting the number to the contest than it is 1 on 1 defending.

Defenders value lies in their ability to win the ball back from the opposition and be damaging with their disposal.

McKay isn’t in the top 100 for average intercept possessions and sits 89th for contested marks per game. He is just an average user who doesn’t take aggressive options by hand or foot.

His output is comparable to guys like Jordan Roughead and Kyle Hartigan who were picked up for free on average contracts.

Ben McKay should be sent forward like his twin brother where his size and athleticism will be damaging because it’s close to goal.
Disagree. Every team needs the big KPD to stop the big forwards. Team defence helps, but there are many occasions it comes down to a 1-on-1 in the forward line. That is why teams build their lists around their spine.

Disagree. Every team needs the big KPD to stop the big forwards. Team defence helps, but there are many occasions it comes down to a 1-on-1 in the forward line. That is why teams build their lists around their spine.
It depends, i just think you can find pure lockdown defenders later in the Draft or trade for them with low currency. If they can be an offensive threat as well that is where they become huge assets. Ben does his job very well, and if he can keep developing in to a more well rounded game his value would only rise.

That list is pretty good except for Keays, I would not have him in the top 20. Already at his second club and put in a shocker against Essendon.

Reckon right now, on current form and impact, most clubs would take Harry at no 1, with all due respect to Clarry who is a gun.
Bro have you missed the last 18 months Keays has put together?

We are twice the side with Pearce playing. I think it's two fold, you can defend better because you dont necessarily need to go up 2v1 (And therefore leaving someone free on the ground) in aerial contests and you can attack better knowing if you get caught on the turnover, there is a much better chance your KPD will win the contest.

Redrafting the 2015 draft
23 pick Himmelburg original pick 16
22 pick david cunningham 23
21 pick rhys mathieson pick 39
20 pick Mason redman pick 30
19 pick florini pick 20
18 pick matt kennedy 13
17 pick tom phillips 58
16 pick callum ah chee 8
15 pick Jack silvagni 53
Pick 14 sam weideman 9
13 pick wayne milera 11
12 Ben Keays 24
11 matt flynn 41
10 pick charlie curnow 12
9 pick ben mckay pick 21
8 pick Oleg markov 50
7 pick bailey williams 48
6 pick harry mckay 10
5 pick Calum Mills 3
4 pick sam menegola 66
3 pick Parish 7
2 pick clayton oliver 4
1 pick weitering 1

19 pick florini pick 20
18 pick matt kennedy 13
17 pick tom phillips 58
16 pick callum ah chee 8
15 pick Jack silvagni 53
Pick 14 sam weideman 9
13 pick wayne milera 11
12 Ben Keays 24
11 matt flynn 41
9 pick ben mckay pick 21
8 pick Oleg markov 50
6 pick harry mckay 10
5 pick Calum Mills 3
4 pick sam menegola 66
3 pick Parish 7
2 pick clayton oliver 4
1 pick weitering 1

Which footballer have you gotten Oleg Markov confused with?

19 pick florini pick 20
18 pick matt kennedy 13
17 pick tom phillips 58
16 pick callum ah chee 8
15 pick Jack silvagni 53
Pick 14 sam weideman 9
13 pick wayne milera 11
12 Ben Keays 24
11 matt flynn 41
9 pick ben mckay pick 21
8 pick Oleg markov 50
6 pick harry mckay 10
5 pick Calum Mills 3
4 pick sam menegola 66
3 pick Parish 7
2 pick clayton oliver 4
1 pick weitering 1
You missed Josh Dunkley entirely

19 pick florini pick 20
18 pick matt kennedy 13
17 pick tom phillips 58
16 pick callum ah chee 8
15 pick Jack silvagni 53
Pick 14 sam weideman 9
13 pick wayne milera 11
12 Ben Keays 24
11 matt flynn 41
9 pick ben mckay pick 21
8 pick Oleg markov 50
6 pick harry mckay 10
5 pick Calum Mills 3
4 pick sam menegola 66
3 pick Parish 7
2 pick clayton oliver 4
1 pick weitering 1
Oliver is going at 1 if you are doing the drafting on form shown

He has been the best performed player of this draft by a massive margin career wise and if you want to base it only on 2021 form he has still been clearly the best player

But then I see you have Markov at 8, Weideman at 14 and no Dunkley or AMT so I have just realised that you are taking the piss

I’ve said it before and will say it again. Ripping draft for most teams. Top end picks have been great and some great late picks.

Dunkley is easily top 10, borderline top 5.

Redman, Keays, Menegola (granted a mature age selection), Markov, Silvagni, Flynn all great value.

He has been the best performed player of this draft by a massive margin career wise and if you want to base it only on 2021 form he has still been clearly the best player

But then I see you have Markov at 8, Weideman at 14 and no Dunkley or AMT so I have just realised that you are taking the piss
I don't think Oliver would go 1 in a redraft. He's simply a terrible terrible kick of the football. Would go 2-3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Doedee either

I had to look away and look back three times to make sure Markov was actually put at 8

I don't think Oliver would go 1 in a redraft. He's simply a terrible terrible kick of the football. Would go 2-3
hahaha

All 2015 draftees will be 6 years into their careers and the end of this year

2 x club b&f winner (should be 3 at the end of this year)
2 x All Australian (is a shoe in for AA this year)
1 x All Australian squad member
1 x AFLCA Young player of the year
3 x All Australian 22 and under team
3 x top 7 finishes in the AFLCA award

Add in
potentially 1 x AFLCA Award winner in 2021 (currently leads)
potential top 3 Brownlow medal finish in 2021 (3rd favorite and top 2 in most Brownlow predictors)

Is clearly the best contested player in the league and has been in the top 2-3 contested players right from his 2nd year and has played the last 108 consecutive games so he doesn't get too injured and if he does still plays

If someone from the future comes back to draft night and tells you all of the above, you are taking him at number 1.

That is just facts

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact Weitering plays for Carlton. Swap the teams and you'd take Oliver at 1 for sure
Oliver is leading the coach's MVP. Weitering is a gun but Oliver is just ahead.

hahaha

All 2015 draftees will be 6 years into their careers and the end of this year

2 x club b&f winner (should be 3 at the end of this year)
2 x All Australian (is a shoe in for AA this year)
1 x All Australian squad member
1 x AFLCA Young player of the year
3 x All Australian 22 and under team
3 x top 7 finishes in the AFLCA award

Add in
potentially 1 x AFLCA Award winner in 2021 (currently leads)
potential top 3 Brownlow medal finish in 2021 (3rd favorite and top 2 in most Brownlow predictors)

Is clearly the best contested player in the league and has been in the top 2-3 contested players right from his 2nd year and has played the last 108 consecutive games so he doesn't get too injured and if he does still plays

If someone from the future comes back to draft night and tells you all of the above, you are taking him at number 1.

That is just facts
I don't disagree that Oliver has been a top player. But many teams would still rather a high quality Key Forward or Key Back than a very good contested mid who doesn't hit the scoreboard. Doesn't matter who has had a better career to date if its going to a re-draft, Carlton would still take Mckay or Weitering at 1 as would Brisbane, and Melbourne would have at the time too. Top KPP still the most valuable assets in the game as they just don't come around as often.

I don't disagree that Oliver has been a top player. But many teams would still rather a high quality Key Forward or Key Back than a very good contested mid who doesn't hit the scoreboard. Doesn't matter who has had a better career to date if its going to a re-draft, Carlton would still take Mckay or Weitering at 1 as would Brisbane, and Melbourne would have at the time too. Top KPP still the most valuable assets in the game as they just don't come around as often.
Oliver is miles ahead of Weitering, who himself is terrific.

Ben McKay is an excellent full back and he went in the 20s. Its not that difficult to find a really good full back.

Are you taking Ben King ahead of Walsh in 2018?

Oliver is miles ahead of Weitering, who himself is terrific.

Ben McKay is an excellent full back and he went in the 20s. Its not that difficult to find a really good full back.

Big difference between a top 20 defender in the league and a top 3-4 defender in the league. If Oliver could kick and hit the scoreboard more often I'd agree with you but simply put, he doesnt. One of the KPP would go before him in a redraft

Big difference between a top 20 defender in the league and a top 3-4 defender in the league. If Oliver could kick and hit the scoreboard more often I'd agree with you but simply put, he doesnt. One of the KPP would go before him in a redraft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back