Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton can thank Curnow’s drink driving charge on the eve of that draft for being able to land him, on top of the other two.

Would almost certainly have gone top 5-6 had he not gotten busted and scared a bunch of clubs who didn’t have his big brother there off drafting him.

I don’t remember Curnow ever being rated that highly. Dees were keen but Oliver stormed home and the Bombers had their own preferences. Allowed us to take McKay before the Crows but that’s the extent of it I think.

I don’t remember Curnow ever being rated that highly. Dees were keen but Oliver stormed home and the Bombers had their own preferences. Allowed us to take McKay before the Crows but that’s the extent of it I think.
Curnow was firmly in our calculations, depending on the way the chips fell (before the drink driving at least).

Not only busted drink driving but refusing a breath test.

“TOP-FIVE draft prospect Charlie Curnow has apologised after being arrested for allegedly refusing a preliminary breath test.

The 18-year-old, from the Geelong Falcons, has been linked to Melbourne (pick No.3) and Essendon (picks four and five) ahead of Tuesday's NAB AFL Draft in Adelaide.”

Draft profile: Meet Charlie Curnow

“He might have been a clear-cut top-three pick with a full season.”

Hopper, Weitering, Scache, Mills and Parish were the standout 5 IIRC. Oliver was a very late bolter.

A long time ago now.
Francis was in that group. I remember that if you went Schache instead of Weitering he was likely to somehow last to us too.

Hopper, Weitering, Scache, Mills and Parish were the standout 5 IIRC. Oliver was a very late bolter.

A long time ago now.
Much to our detriment.

By all accounts our head recruiter at the time was obsessed with Oliver but didn't think he was any threat of going top 5, so we traded back with Melbourne (this was before trading on draft night was an option)

They ended up with Oliver after he had an unbelievable combine testing, and we ended up with Callum Ah Chee

big sliding doors moment for both clubs.

Francis was in that group. I remember that if you went Schache instead of Weitering he was likely to somehow last to us too.

For mine the three from the draft were Oliver, Francis and Curnow. That's the order I rated them in. They were the could be anything players.

I think Francis could have made it if he was at a club that put the time into him. Had to be one of those guys that you just forced a 100 games into. But Woosha just absolutely ruined him by being so hands off and preaching the philosophy of self driven players. Needed a Mark Williams type to put him under the wing.

For mine the three from the draft were Oliver, Francis and Curnow. That's the order I rated them in. They were the could be anything players.

I think Francis could have made it if he was at a club that put the time into him. Had to be one of those guys that you just forced a 100 games into. But Woosha just absolutely ruined him by being so hands off and preaching the philosophy of self driven players. Needed a Mark Williams type to put him under the wing.
Francis and curnow were the two that made most sense if oliver wasnt there

Though we did need mids, so parish may have been a pick too.

An all-time great draft haul for Carlton. I'd have to imagine it's pretty rare you get potentially two coleman medal winning KPFs and an AA fullback. By the time it's all done, you'd have to imagine it'll be one of the best single drafts for a club ever
I know what getting Franklin, Roughy and Lewis out of one draft did for us...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think Francis could be a damn good defender if he was at a different team with a better system. Seems to have stagnated and regressed at the Dons the past few seasons but he was electrifying early on as that 3rd tall intercepting defender. I just look at Lewis Young for us and Paddy McCartin for the Swans and think most of these aerialists just need a cohesive system around them and some consistency in their role.

Loads of these guys get moved around to cover ruck and forward when needed and it rarely ever works out. Even Weitering was out at sea when Bolton experimented with him up forward and it took him almost 2 seasons to get back on track.

I still think Francis could be a damn good defender if he was at a different team with a better system. Seems to have stagnated and regressed at the Dons the past few seasons but he was electrifying early on as that 3rd tall intercepting defender. I just look at Lewis Young for us and Paddy McCartin for the Swans and think most of these aerialists just need a cohesive system around them and some consistency in their role.

Loads of these guys get moved around to cover ruck and forward when needed and it rarely ever works out. Even Weitering was out at sea when Bolton experimented with him up forward and it took him almost 2 seasons to get back on track.
be interesting to see how we approach.
The spot he'd play was where Heppell was. Heppell is now up on a wing more these days.
Ridley, Laverde, Zerk-Thatcher and eventually Reid and Cox will come through as taller defenders. Add to that Brand & Eyre are also developing as younger options.
We've thrown a bit at our backline. It's a shame cos I'm a massive fan of Francis. I think you may be right that a new environment/opportunity could work out well for him.

Ben McKay really pressing as one of the best KPDs now. Even with being subbed out of 3 games before half time and playing 2 games forward he averages the most intercept marks in the league and is 7th in total despite missing 6 games.

Would love to through him back for the rest of the year if he wasn’t injured.

Geez the fact we picked the drafts best player covers the fact we also had a huge bust in Weideman. Fmd imagine if we took Curnow!
probably a few clubs wondering that.
Blues counting their blessings they had his brother to get some confidence in taking him.

Was keen on the Francis/Curnow combo. Not convinced we'd be playing Charlie as a defender whilst Francis stuggles as a forward tbh.
Took us 5 seasons to realise Parish was a pure mid :/
Would love to through him back for the rest of the year if he wasn’t injured.
back in VFL this week. I think the questions on his second, third efforts are gonna be an issue.
It's a shame. was a gun u18 as an intercept defender.

Team 1:
B: Blake Hardwick (Pick 44) - Ben McKay (Pick 21) - Sam Collins (Pick 55)
HB: Daniel Rioli (Pick 15) - Jacob Weitering (Pick 1) - Jordan Dawson (Pick 56)
C: Ben Keays (Pick 24) - Clayton Oliver (Pick 4) - Callum Mills (Pick 3)
HF: Jade Gresham (Pick 18) - Harry McKay (Pick 10) - Tom Papley (RD Pick 14)
F: Harrison Himmelberg (Pick 16) - Charlie Curnow (Pick 12) - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (RD Pick 22)
R: Mabior Chol (RD Pick 30) - Darcy Parish (Pick 5) - Josh Dunkley (Pick 25)
I: Jacob Hopper (Pick 7) - Mason Redman (Pick 30) - Dan Houston (RD Pick 45) - Nathan Broad (Pick 67)

Team 2:
B: Riley Bonner (Pick 37) - Marcus Adams (Pick 35) - Alex Keath (RD Pick 48)
HB: Ryan Burton (Pick 19) - Tom Doedee (Pick 17) - Bailey Williams (Pick 48)
C: Tom Phillips (Pick 58) - Brayden Fiorini (Pick 20) - Wayne Milera (Pick 11)
HF: Will Snelling (RD Pick 10) - Eric Hipwood (Pick 14) - Darcy Macpherson (RD Pick 21)
F: Daniel Lloyd (RD Pick 26) - Sam Weideman (Pick 9) - Jack Silvagni (Pick 53)
R: Matthew Flynn (Pick 41) - Hugh Greenwood (RD Pick 48) - Matthew Kennedy (Pick 13)
I: Tom Cole (Pick 36) - Ryan Clarke (Pick 31) - Callum Ah Chee (Pick 8) - David Cuningham (Pick 23)

1. C.Oliver
2. H.McKay
3. C.Curnow
4. T.Papley
5. C.Mills
6. J.Dunkley
7. Weitering
8. H.Himmelberg
8. Hopper
9. Gresham
10. Parish

*includes the rookie draft as they were available during the draft.

1. C.Oliver
2. H.McKay
3. C.Curnow
4. Weitering
5. C.Mills
6. Papley
7. Dunkley
8. Parish
8. Hipwood
9. Gresham
10. Doedee

Oliver is one of the top onballers in the AFL. Harry & Charlie Coleman medallist’s. Weitering in the top 3 fullbacks. Mills, Dunkley and parish have developed into very good players. Papley is a brilliant forward pocket. Hipwood and Doedee very good KPP’s.

1-Oliver
2-mills
3-parish
4-burton
5-McDonald-tipungwuti
6-weitering
7-hipwood
8-hopper
9-Hartley
10-Silvagni
over 5 years on
Oliver still #1 & Mills + Parish not far off the mark
Curnow would be my #2 now.

1-Oliver
2-Curnow
3-Mills
4-Parish
5-Weitering
6-McKay
7-Dunkley
8-Papley
9-Houston
10-Gresham

Keays, Redman, Ben McKay, Rioli, Himmelberg Doedee, Hopper not far behind
Still rate Tippa, but let's see how he comes back next year. Career-wise I'd have him top 10 before the injury break/retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back