Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver is a gun and will be better than Curnow but gun forwards are rare to have and he could end up kicking heaps of goals.
Still too inconsistent to be ahead of Oliver - and he's only kicked 3 or more goals 4 times in his career. I would argue Curnow is just a lot flashier than Oliver, but Oliver has been an elite inside mid for almost 2 seasons now.

Oliver is top 10 in the League for:
- Stoppage Clearances (4th)
- Tackles (3rd)
- Contested possessions (3rd)
- Clearances (5th)
- Disposals (7th)
- Inside 50's (10th)
- Handballs (1st)
- Effective disposals (10th)
- Centre Clearances (10th)

Curnow is top 10 in:
- Contested marks (7th)

I’d take Curnow over Oliver but that’s because it’s a lot harder to find a good key forward, and I think there is no doubt Charlie becomes the best Key Foward in the league at one point. Oliver doing amazing things, but yeah, if I’m Carlton im not changing my pick.

Curnow could become one of the best forwards in the league, however Oliver is already one of the best mids in the league.

Oliver is the better player but you can't argue with the fact that tall players nearly always get drafted first

Let this sink in. Clayton Oliver has played only 56 games and in that time has won a club b&f (with a strong chance to win another one), has won the AFLCA young player of the year, finished 7th in the AFLCA award in 2017 and sits 4th in it this year, also add to the fact he will be in the AA team this year.

Those credentials would be great for a player who has played 250 games but for a kid who has played just over 50 games that is insane

Curnow could become one of the best forwards in the league, however Oliver is already one of the best mids in the league.

Oliver is the better player but you can't argue with the fact that tall players nearly always get drafted first

Let this sink in. Clayton Oliver has played only 56 games and in that time has won a club b&f (with a strong chance to win another one), has won the AFLCA young player of the year, finished 7th in the AFLCA award in 2017 and sits 4th in it this year, also add to the fact he will be in the AA team this year.

Those credentials would be great for a player who has played 250 games but for a kid who has played just over 50 games that is insane
I think Oliver is already elite, but don't think he will ever top 5 in AFL material.

He's a younger version of JPK in his prime, which is great.

Is he worth pick 1? Yes he is.

However, he just doesn't seem to absolutely crush opponents and win games single handedly the way players like:

1. Dustin Martin
2. Patrick Dangerfield
3. Nathan Fyfe
4. Lance Franklin
5. Jack Riewoldt
6. Josh Kelly
7. Robbie Gray
8. Jordan De Goey

I'm not saying De Goey is a better player than Oliver, because he is not right now. However, De Goey has single handedly won us about 5 games this year, and will end up with 15 votes from 17 games playing sometimes as midfielder, sometimes as forward.

Oliver will probably end up with 18 ish votes from 22 games.

Oliver is great at what he does, which makes him an excellent player. However, his impact on the game is limited, with him not hitting the scoreboard often and being very conservative with his disposals.

378 meters gained per game, certainly very poor.

70% DE per game despite having a shockingly low kick:handball ratio (10 kicks to 19 handballs a game), poor again.

Oliver hurts opponents indirectly by allowing for other Melbourne mids to flourish. However if you were to be a top 5 player in the comp, you need to be able to turn the tides by yourself and not rely on those around you to do well.

I think Oliver will consistently be in AA contention in years to come, but I also don't think he will be in discussion for brownlow/league MVP.

I think Oliver is already elite, but don't think he will ever top 5 in AFL material.

He's a younger version of JPK in his prime, which is great.

Is he worth pick 1? Yes he is.

However, he just doesn't seem to absolutely crush opponents and win games single handedly the way players like:

1. Dustin Martin
2. Patrick Dangerfield
3. Nathan Fyfe
4. Lance Franklin
5. Jack Riewoldt
6. Josh Kelly
7. Robbie Gray
8. Jordan De Goey

I'm not saying De Goey is a better player than Oliver, because he is not right now. However, De Goey has single handedly won us about 5 games this year, and will end up with 15 votes from 17 games playing sometimes as midfielder, sometimes as forward.

Oliver will probably end up with 18 ish votes from 22 games.

Oliver is great at what he does, which makes him an excellent player. However, his impact on the game is limited, with him not hitting the scoreboard often and being very conservative with his disposals.

Oliver hurts opponents indirectly by allowing for other Melbourne mids to flourish. However if you were to be a top 5 player in the comp, you need to be able to turn the tides by yourself and not rely on those around you to do well.

I think Oliver will consistently be in AA contention in years to come, but I also don't think he will be in discussion for brownlow/league MVP.

Some very strange comments there, especially considering Oliver is 6th favorite for the Brownlow this year so he is already in discussion for the Brownlow.
He is top 5 in the AFLCA award after finishing 7th last year so the coaches seem to think he is very much already in the discussion for being a top 10 player already.
All of those players bar DeGoey were not winning games off their own boot at such a young age either, these things take time

Not sure if you watched the Adelaide game from a few weeks ago where Oliver ws the main reason we won or the week before where he single handedly almost won us the game down at Geelong. The knock on him hand balling too much and being too conservative is an old outdated argument. When the chips are down two normally one of two players at Melbourne step up (Oliver and Gawn).

But that is just my opinion, which could be wrong.

Some very strange comments there, especially considering Oliver is 6th favorite for the Brownlow this year so he is already in discussion for the Brownlow.
He is top 5 in the AFLCA award after finishing 7th last year so the coaches seem to think he is very much already in the discussion for being a top 10 player already.
All of those players bar DeGoey were not winning games off their own boot at such a young age either, these things take time

Not sure if you watched the Adelaide game from a few weeks ago where Oliver ws the main reason we won or the week before where he single handedly almost won us the game down at Geelong. The knock on him hand balling too much and being too conservative is an old outdated argument. When the chips are down two normally one of two players at Melbourne step up (Oliver and Gawn).

But that is just my opinion, which could be wrong.
I think the argument here is that

There're 2 players for instance: Jack Steele, Clayton Oliver, Josh Kelly, Jared Polec

Clayton and Kelly are probably similar in ability, Steele and Polec similar too.

However, the effectiveness of Kelly+Steele is SO much higher than the effectiveness of Polec+Oliver. You see alot of inside mids break out every year, just this year we have Steele, Dunkley, Yeo, Redden, Kelly, O'meara, Taranto etc. The difference between Oliver and Steele is existing but minimal, whereas difference between Gaff/Kelly with Polec is much more substantial and influential.

The argument that Oliver handballs too much has been around for awhile, but for this long there hasn't been much to suggest it's a faulty argument.

The truth is that Oliver is a highly one dimensional player, although a very good one. He's valuable at contests, but quite useless everywhere else, as supposed by his poor disposal efficiency, poor kick:handball ratio, poor meters gained.

Also, top 5 player I suggested clearly was in reference too all types of players, not just midfielders. In terms of game winning ability, I'd probaby have someone like Whitfield, Macrae, Hawkins all ahead of him. Oliver is consistently good yes, but you need more than that to be at the very top of the league.

Too early to say for much of this class still and I know the Gold Coast is a long way away but does Brayden Fiorini get any kind of look in
Skimmed the last few pages and not seen his name mentioned once

Of course he doesn't have the runs on the board or played enough games to be considered top 10 but would say he's in the mix for top 20

Seen Sier, Redman, Darcy Tucker, Harry Marsh all mentioned at least once

From 25 games has career averages of 21.6 possessions, 5.2 marks, 3.8 tackles, kicked 11 goals and 8 GA

If he can stay fit I think he'll show what he can do.

Just how good would Burton be if he didnt destroy his leg.
Not sure, but the speed he turned around that injury is the entire reason i was so chuffed. Gun TAC, Car Crash leg injury, debuts in 1st season. He must of one hell of a tank for a 17 year old.

These days opposition teams have been able to exploit some of his mechanics, mainly his running patterns which forces him to seem like he is always under pressure.

Butron needs to badly develop a solid oppo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How in the hell does Francis compare to Liam Jones?

I’m sure if Francis makes it to 10 years in the afl system it will be as a valuable asset to his club. Not one traded to a desperate organisation for a decent pick used on a future premiership player.

And jones is quick (at least physically. He did fail play-dough at kindergarten) so you’ve already contradicted yourself with the comparison.

Dumb troll attempt

I think the argument here is that

There're 2 players for instance: Jack Steele, Clayton Oliver, Josh Kelly, Jared Polec

Clayton and Kelly are probably similar in ability, Steele and Polec similar too.

However, the effectiveness of Kelly+Steele is SO much higher than the effectiveness of Polec+Oliver. You see alot of inside mids break out every year, just this year we have Steele, Dunkley, Yeo, Redden, Kelly, O'meara, Taranto etc. The difference between Oliver and Steele is existing but minimal, whereas difference between Gaff/Kelly with Polec is much more substantial and influential.

The argument that Oliver handballs too much has been around for awhile, but for this long there hasn't been much to suggest it's a faulty argument.

The truth is that Oliver is a highly one dimensional player, although a very good one. He's valuable at contests, but quite useless everywhere else, as supposed by his poor disposal efficiency, poor kick:handball ratio, poor meters gained.

Also, top 5 player I suggested clearly was in reference too all types of players, not just midfielders. In terms of game winning ability, I'd probaby have someone like Whitfield, Macrae, Hawkins all ahead of him. Oliver is consistently good yes, but you need more than that to be at the very top of the league.
I'm trying so hard to compute this argument. Oliver averages ~30 touches a game, 11 kicks and 19 handballs. He goes at 70% and averages 378 metres gained (more than double from his BnF winning 2017). 7 clearances, 7 tackles, 5 inside 50s - all very good for an inside midfielder.

Suggesting there's any kind of comparison with Steele, who averages 250 metres gained, 3 clearances and just 8% more DE than Oliver despite his statistical inferiority is very funny.

Reverse the kicks and handballs (both average around 29 touches), and Oliver and Kelly have eerily similar stats. 70% DE, though Kelly naturally averages fewer (half) the clearances and double the goals of Oliver given where they play.

Genuinely love watching the mental gymnastics from people watching this ginger kid who used to be chubby dominating the comp. He'd be in most people's top 20 in the league, which is mad given he's in his third year.

He could honestly be Melbourne's best midfielder since the 1960s, I absolutely love having him and would be shocked if he wasn't a top five player in the league in the mould of Sam Mitchell and JPK (who lost out because of his late start). Feel free to disagree, but comparisons with Polec and Steele are hysterical.

1. Clayton Oliver
2. Charlie Curnow
3. Jade Gresham
4. Tom Phillips
5. Sam menegola
6. Eric Hipwood
7. Blake Hardwick
8. Callum Mills
9. Jacob Hopper
10. Wayne Milera

Daniel Rioli, Harry Himmelberg, Tom Doedee are knocking on the door.
Revisiting this draft it's a little underwhelming considering the hype at the time

Thank * for Jade Gresham, probably won't be the week in week out gun like Oliver but does things not many others can, he'll be our A grader and we need to sign him for 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
No knock on Francis who took a few nice marks, looks an OK player but kinda amazed that he picked up a rising star gong over the weekend. Played on Caddy and Martin who combined for 8 goals and probably 5 Brownlow votes.

Go watch the replay. Dea was on Caddy/Martin for 6 of their 8 goals and 1 of Martin's goals was from the midfield. So Francis conceeded only one goal (albiet a terrible mistake to have a made.

Last edited:
1. Clayton Oliver - pick 4
2. Tom Papley (rookie pick 14)
3. Sam Menegola - pick 66
4. Blake Hardwick - pick 44
5. Jade Gresham - pick 18
6. Charlie Curnow - pick 12
7. Eric Hipwood - pick 14
8. Jacob Hopper - pick 7
9. Harrison Himmelberg - pick 16
10. Ryan Burton - pick 19
11. Darcy Parish - pick 5