Review - 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft | Page 20 | BigFooty

Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Discussion in 'Drafts, Trading & Free Agency' started by scott_the_man, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Pleasedontfail11

Pleasedontfail11 Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    F1 racing
    Stamina or fitness is his issue. He is quick and his acceleration is also excellent. Sub 3 sec 20 metre if i remember correctly. He is still raw though and many pies fans overate his current performances imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Bulldog15

Bulldog15 Premiership Player

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Not a fan of overseas teams.....
    Ohh boy :eek:

3. Sprout

Sprout Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    MCFC, The Exers
    Cute :)

4. dlb99

dlb99 Club Legend

Carlton
    The amount of redos that have Harry McKay above Jacob Weitering is quite staggering. Harry has played 15 games, Jacob 56.

Weitering had an excellent 2016, poor 2017, and reasonably good 2018 (especially the back half games).

Harry has done barely anything at all.
    Jacob has been under siege down back for his entire career.

Actually in 2017, Brendon Bolton moved him up forward which was one of the worst decisions of his entire coaching career. Pretty much ruined the kids confidence, which has only come back in the last half of the season just gone.

Weitering is not a KPP bust, in the same way that Alex Rance was not a bust a that same stage. Note, Rance played 25 AFL games in his first 3 years. All those games Alex played in the VFL do not make him a bust once the career is fully taken into account.

Also, at the same age that Jacob Weitering is now, Jeremy McGovern had not played a single AFL game, he debuted at 22 (2 years older than Jacob is now). KPP backs take years to flourish; we don't know where Weitering will end up. He may be a bust, but I have seen enough to believe that we will be a very good KPP backman for us.

Note, I am not saying in a redo we would take Weitering again with Pick 1, obviously not. But it is way WAY to early to close the book on him, KPP guys simply take far longer to impact.

Lastly, in my redo I would take Jacob Weitering above Harry McKay, probably somewhere in the low teens.

5. Apex36

Apex36 Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    The Oliver quip was probably a bit much, but oppo fans are going to be in for a bit of a shock with Sier in the next year or two. His numbers this year were impressive for any sub 10 gamer, but context is key. He was getting those numbers from ~60% game time because his tank is awful. A couple of preseasons will see him regularly getting 30 disposal games. He’ll be regarded as a top 10 player in this draft soon enough. Anyone can feel free to bookmark this.

FlyingBorrow likes this.
  6. Mitchell54

Mitchell54 Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
    I’d have him ahead of Burton on exposed form. This year Hardwick was so good but didn’t get the recognition.

2nd youngest player in hawks history to come runner up in the B&F.

Barlow#14 and BJK#5 like this.
  7. Kane McGoodwin

Kane McGoodwin Hall of Famer

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Adelaide Crows
    I'm confident Milera will bolt into most people's top 10 by the end of the year.

If I could pick the top 10 for their career as opposed to what they have achieved so far.

1. Mills (3)
    2. Hipwood (14)
    3. Oliver (4)
    4. Milera (11)
    5. Curnow (12)
    6. Rioli (15)
    7. Himmilberg (16)
    8. Doedee (17)
    9. Francis (6)
    10. Wietering (1)

Phillips (58) is the bargain buy so far.

BRAB and Shaz2012 like this.
  8. 00Stinger

00Stinger Duel Group 1 winner

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
    All Australian, AFLCA Young Player of the year, 2 x 22Under 22 team, club b&f, runner up in club b&f that made a preliminary final, 1 top 5 finish in the AFLCA award & 1 top 10 finish in the AFLCA award.

They are great accolades for a players whole career let alone a player that has only played 60 games.

The rest of the draftees have a long way to catch up to what Oliver has achieved so far

markm106 likes this.
  9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Seattle Seahawks
    You can't have anyone but Oliver at 1 on output.

Any rankings that don't have Oliver at 1 is based on pure guess/hoping someone may come over the top of him.

Curnow is the only one that I would consider if I had pick 1 - based on potential. But still Oliver gets the nod - give me proven over potential any day.

ferrisb, Zireael, Scythe94 and 5 others like this.
  10. markm106

markm106 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    I’ll be very surprised if anyone overtakes Oliver or Curnow from this draft.

11. markm106

Melbourne
    I really liked what I saw from Milera last season. Could push top 5 for this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Monkey King

Monkey King Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    It’s still early days, but these two are certainly verging on stardom.

markm106 likes this.
  13. Benaly28

Benaly28 Club Legend

Carlton
    Whilst I respect your opinion there is no way Milera will be better than Charlie and Oliver is miles in front of everyone else listed now and future.

00Stinger likes this.
  14. Kane McGoodwin

Kane McGoodwin Hall of Famer

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Adelaide Crows
    With respect you can't predict the future, so let's judge in a few year's time.

Feel free to put up your top-10 & we can compare down the track.

15. dlb99

dlb99 Club Legend

Carlton
    Maybe so.

But most of the guys are still just 20/21.

As noted, at that age Alex Rance had played just 25 AFL games (first 3 seasons). A bust? From 2013 onwards (5/6th season onwards) he turned himself into an extremely destructive force.

Guys mature at different rates.

This draft redo should be revisited again in 4 years time. I bet the rankings change again.

16. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fatebringer
    what's Curnow actually done though? 30 goals is decent. But it's not proven performance of a definite number 2 of the draft. People just look at him, see Kouta in him, fall in love with his delts, and fantasize about what he could be. And that's not to say he won't be, but it's nothing but conjecture at this point.

Oliver, clear number 1, no arguments no debate necessary. Until (if) someone starts doing some serious work he is number 1.

Now, that sensible shit is out of the way, let me flip midstream into that annoying partisan poster, and state that based on the way Francis looks right now - as athletic as ****; and the fact that he's actually now training with the midfield group; it would appear the penny has finally dropped. And by all means poo-poo this as much as you want to and (and you are fully entitled to), but I've rarely ever been this excited about what a player could bring to my club. Hngghhh

17. markm106

Melbourne
    No doubt Oliver has the performances to back up being number 1. Curnow I’m going off the bits he has shown. I agree he hasn’t kicked as many goals as you’d like for someone to be ranked top 2. However key position forward in a bottom side and his glimpses are great.
    Francis I agree could be anything. Just want to see some continuity in playing AFL.

Lance Uppercut likes this.
  18. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fatebringer
    of course, until he puts it on the park it's also nothing but pure speculation. I must say though, seeing how goddamn athletic he is looking at preseason is extraordinarily encouraging

markm106 likes this.
  19. Monkey King

Monkey King Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    34 goals from a 21yo CHF is pretty decent output though; particularly when you realise that equates to kicking 18% of his team’s score from CHF, not too far off the Coleman medalist (21%) who played closer to goal. But it’s what Charlie does up the ground that impresses people as much as anything he does in the F50. Missed two games and still finished 11th in the league for contested marks at 21yo and so far, no one in this draft comes close to having demonstrated his aerial ability ... skills like that come very highly rated and are going to push any player to the top end of their draft board.

Lance Uppercut likes this.
  20. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Seattle Seahawks
    Ess supporters exploded when Daniher kicked 34 goals in 22 games in his 3rd year - Curnow kicked 34 in 20. They have every right to be extremely excited.

Curnow 3rd year stacks up well against a lot of the good young forwards:

Curnow 34 in 20 games
    Daniher 34 in 22 games
    J Roo 32 in 20 games
    N Roo 30 in 22 games
    J Kenendy 7 in 7 games.

You have talked up Francis after 1 or 2 good games. Go and watch round 1 V the Tigers again - 10 marks 5 goals against a great defense.

I am taking Curnow as a clear 2 and you just jinxed Francis. Cheers.

Zireael, the nail and Arr0w like this.
  21. Tom14

Tom14 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Add in Hipwood 37 in 22 ;)

I think Oliver is pretty clearly number 1 with a reasonable gap and then I'd have Curnow at 2 ahead of hipwood and mills (not sure who is 3 and who is 4). Sier can enter this list when he has played more than 12 games in 3 years, Pies fans but he does look like a good player.

KissKiss, the nail and HARKER like this.
  22. Arr0w

Arr0w Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    A few games of Francis, matched up against Curnow, would settle the discussion

the nail likes this.
  23. Alphonse_

Alphonse_ Debutant

Carlton
    Weideman looks like being the breakout player from this draft in 2019 (which made it easier for The Dees to trade Hogan)

00Stinger and markm106 like this.
  24. zhoung

zhoung Debutant

Collingwood
    Sier is 191cm and 88 kg his first 12 games @ 19.5 d and 10.6 cp
    Oliver is 187 and 83 kg his first 13 games @ 19.2 d and 9.5 cp
    Maybe we should revisit this in a years time.

25. Ian Dunross

Ian Dunross Premiership Player

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Glenelg Tigers
    Totally irrelevant that one of these played his first 12 games as an 19 year old while the other played his first 12 games as a 21 year old

ferrisb, Blended, Milanista28 and 6 others like this.