Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I follow the mock drafts and media stuff on the draft pretty closely and I hadn't even heard of him when they called out his name. I was who-hoo-ing at the TV, as we had the next pick (Gresham).

Was like when Geelong took Lang just ahead of our late first round picks in 2013 and when Carlton took Boekhorst in 2014, a couple of picks ahead of us!
Eagles fans lost it when we took Venables ahead of spp but so far this takes the cake.

1. Hipwood
2. Weitering
3. Oliver
4. Burton
5. Mills
6. Curnow
7. Gresham
8. Milera
9. Parish
10. Kennedy

11. Rioli
12. Hopper

Quite fair.

I'd swap Hipwood with Oliver and then swap Curnow with Mills.

This draft has some serious top-end KPP talent.

It's difficult to distinguish between current rankings & projected rankings. I think in a few years Hipwood & Curnow could be 1 & 2, Milera a guy I really rate as well. Has a bit of Andy McLeod about the way he plays. Gun.

It's difficult to distinguish between current rankings & projected rankings. I think in a few years Hipwood & Curnow could be 1 & 2, Milera a guy I really rate as well. Has a bit of Andy McLeod about the way he plays. Gun.

Absolutely agree about Hipwood and Curnow potentially being the top 2 here. Both tremendous athletes with game-breaking ability.

Haven't seen much of Milera yet.

If Schache lives up to his potential he could be better than Hipwood. Going to be very interesting watching them develop

Oliver
Weitering
Burton
Mills

The best for me on exposed form.

Hipwood and Curnow are going to be fantastic.

Gresham, Milera, Parish, Kennedy, Rioli and Hopper, Fiorini have all shown plenty.

Schache, Francis, Ah Chee, Weideman, Dunkley, Cuningham, Silvagni, HH, Clarke, Mathieson, Balic amongst those who have looked promising too.

Think Oliver is first picked if you need a team for this weekend by a margin, but wouldn't be shocked if that changes in 12 months. Some of these KPPs have been insane for their age. Quite a few guys will drop off, but it looks a good crop.

Surely Marcus Adams would go pretty high in this draft? Had some injury issues but has shown when he's played he's a gun key back for the next 7-8 years.

Interested to see how Blues fans have seen Weiterings season, has looked average on occasions that I've seen.

Still a key position player in his second year so completely understandable.
Could finish anywhere in this draft obviously hard to put a number on it so early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hipwood will be an all time great. He'll kick 600/700 goals. Freakish talent

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Interested to see how Blues fans have seen Weiterings season, has looked average on occasions that I've seen.

Could finish anywhere in this draft obviously hard to put a number on it so early.
touch of the second year blues or possibly suffering from the inconsistency a kid will give you after a blistering start.
Especially for a tall.

Weitering, Curnow & McKay will be important talls for the blues moving forward.
Give this group 3-4 years and I'm tipping a powerhouse of a side will come together.
Cripps, SPS, Weitering, Curnow, SOS, Marchbank, Docherty. Solid talent there.

Gresham is criminally underrated in this thread.
I know I might sound biased, but I have never seen a 1st-2nd year player with his ability to keep his feet, stand up in tackles and weave through traffic like he can. He's incredibly strong through the hips and lower body (especially for his size).

Played up forward for the first half of the year. Good start kicking 3 on Rance but didn't do too much up forward after that. His delivery inside 50 is excellent though, and if Jack Silvagni could kick straight he'd have picked up a lot of goal assists.

He hasn't been very good in defence this year. Struggles playing on an opponent especially one with a strong lead like Membrey. Best role is cutting off the long kick down the line when we're playing a press, but haven't pressed at all this year - held our defence back instead.

I'll do this by tiers. List in order of how good I think they'll become, rather than how good they are now (though the latter o/c influences the former).

Top 50 in the AFL standard:

1. Eric Hipwood
2. Clayton Oliver
3. Ryan Burton
4. Callum Mills
5. Darcy Parish
6. Charlie Curnow
7. Jacob Weitering

Hipwood I think has the most upside in the draft, and could end up being the best key forward in the comp. Oliver is already the best midfielder of a Top 8 team and looks Brownlow potential.

Burton I have under them as he doesn't have a strongly defined position, but there's no doubting his class and he'll be a star. Mills and Parish will be top-quality mids and Curnow could be the new Matthew Pavlich.

I'll keep Weitering in the top-tier despite a disappointing second year; I think his skill set will become clear when Carlton start adding more class and he'll become a key player at CHB/F.

Top 10 on a good AFL list:

8. Matthew Kennedy
9. Jade Gresham
10. Wayne Milera
11. Jacob Hopper
12. Rhys Mathieson
13. Callum Ah Chee
14. Josh Schache
15. Daniel Rioli
16. Brayden Fiorini
17. Darcy Tucker

This list all look promising but have more question marks than the top-tier. Gresham, Ah Chee and Rioli all look really classy and could all be 40-50 goal a season forwards but are unproven in the midfield. Hopper and Mathieson will be quality inside mids but lack the polish to be as well-rounded as the top-tier ones. Kennedy might struggle to really break out in that midfield. Milera and Tucker don't have the contested games to be top-tier. Fiorini is well rounded but lacks something dominant. And Schache has struggled this year after looking really good in 2016 and might lack the pace to be a truly elite key forward.

Best 22 in a strong team:

18. Sam Weideman
19. Marcus Adams*
20. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti*
21. Josh Dunkley
22. Aaron Francis
23. Blake Hardwick
24. Jack Silvagni
25. Harley Balic
26. Ryan Clarke
27. David Cunningham
28. Sam Menegola*
29. Harry McKay
30. Tom Phillips
31. Tom Papley
32. Bailey Williams
33. Harrison Himmelberg
34. James Parsons
35. Dan Houston
36. Ben McKay
37. Michael Hartley*
38. Tom Cole
39. Mitchell Hibberd
40. Josh Smith*
41. Jesse Joyce
42. Josh Wagner*
43. Ben Keays
44. Jordan Dawson
45. Sam Skinner
46. Kieran Lovell
47. Luke Partington
48. Corey Wagner
49. Wylie Buzza
50. Oleg Markov
51. Ryan Gardner
52. Riley Bonner
53. Ben Crocker
54. Sam Collins*
55. Darcy MacPherson

This list has a variety of options - from players with upside but with strong risk (includes strong state league performers with little AFL experience), key cogs of a team but either have limited upside, play low value positions or lack the dominance to be true stars, or guys who can play 150-200 games without really being noticeable by opposition fans. I imagine this list would evolve the most over time, and I can see a number of guys near the bottom of the list dropping off once it's clear they don't have what it takes.

* indicates mature-aged.

Lots of top-tier potential here - busts appear to be fairly rare (though o/c this could change within a few years). Too early to say re: depth, but the second half of the draft doesn't look as good as 2013, 2016 or even 2014.

Last edited:
I know I might sound biased, but I have never seen a 1st-2nd year player with his ability to keep his feet, stand up in tackles and weave through traffic like he can. He's incredibly strong through the hips and lower body (especially for his size).
Caleb daniel says hi.

I love watching Gresham play. Such an exciting talent. I'd love to have him. Saints love the small, skillful types with Billings and Lonie. Love what the saints are building!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back