Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

barberbarbarian

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
While CC hasn't had a good year, the reality is that Hipwood is getting less of the ball this year compared to last despite being in a much better side. Not sure I would gloating at this stage. Has shown no real improvement.
he's a key forward who's improved in goals and behinds per game every season he's played. I don't think they need to worry about a 0.7 disposal per game drop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom14

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While CC hasn't had a good year, the reality is that Hipwood is getting less of the ball this year compared to last despite being in a much better side. Not sure I would gloating at this stage. Has shown no real improvement.
What a random stat to cherry pick lol.

Hippy's kicked 16.16 - an average of just under 4 shots per game. He's showing quite a bit of improvement in every aspect bar goalkicking where he is missing every easy shot and kicking all the hard ones. It's quite annoying for his sake actually as he's kicked 4.9 the last two weeks and I think the 4 he has kicked would have been the 4 hardest of all those shots.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What a random stat to cherry pick lol.

Hippy's kicked 16.16 - an average of just under 4 shots per game. He's showing quite a bit of improvement in every aspect bar goalkicking where he is missing every easy shot and kicking all the hard ones. It's quite annoying for his sake actually as he's kicked 4.9 the last two weeks and I think the 4 he has kicked would have been the 4 hardest of all those shots.
Stats 18 v 19
Possessions -0.7
Goal +0.1
Points +0.6
Marks -0.1
GA-0.3
I50s -0.3

Factor in the improved performance of the team and that is minimal, if any improvement from last year. Missing more shots at goal this year,especially easy ones is not improvement.

One of the few bright lights this season for Carlton is McKay who has gone past both Hipwood and Curnow.:)

Tom14

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2019 Hipwood feels like 2016 Daniher honestly.
A very good comparison I think - I expect Hippy will end up at around the 40 goal mark similar to Daniher in 2016. Of course Daniher did that in a much much weaker team due to the suspensions so thats probably a bit more impressive.

Anyway, I don't see much utility in the Curnow v Hipwood discussion beyond acknowledging that Curnow is not as great as last year's hype but obviously this year's form is not reflective of his quality/potential either. I see them as pretty comparable players in output but with different styles of play.

The argument from blues fans that Hippy hasn't shown much improvement this year because his disposal numbers are down by 1 is a bit of a strange one though lol.

Checkered

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dockers & Eagles
"My guy has regressed but at least he hasn't continued playing good footy"

Yeah quality response there mate.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
"My guy has regressed but at least he hasn't continued playing good footy"

Yeah quality response there mate.
The point was CC has regressed but EH hasn't got any better this season. It is not really something to gloat over.

If I was a Lions supporter I would have hoped to see more from Hipwood than he has delivered this year. I certainly was expecting more from Curnow

Checkered

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dockers & Eagles
The point was CC has regressed but EH hasn't got any better this season. It is not really something to gloat over.

If I was a Lions supporter I would have hoped to see more from Hipwood than he has delivered this year. I certainly was expecting more from Curnow
Yeah look on paper he hasn't improved a great deal but when you take in to account the forward synergy we've got going on, I don't think any lions fan would be too disappointed. Our bigs are creating space and aren't going for the same marks all the time like they used. We're also playing three tall forwards now instead of two so there's more options for our mids to hit up.bquality small forwards crumbling at their feet now too helps.

He's taking contested marks now which is massive. He used to either get outbodied all the time or double grab/fumble and let his defender in. Much less of that this year.

The only issue any of us have with him is his goalkicking. Bloke misses one or two from 40m out straight in front pretty much every week. Could/should really be averaging 2.5 goals per game this year.

blue_trinity

Senior List
Oct 28, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I mean, rewind to last year and Curnow really was clearly better. Without the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure 95% of people would have said Curnow > Hipwood. Based on this year's output, Hipwood is clearly the better player, but it wasn't so apparent last year
He’s been injured, and is currently playing injured. Hipwood isn’t “clearly the better player”...

They’re both guns, any team would be desperate to have on their list.

Pointless comparing them this season though. What a revelation. Hipwood is outperforming an injured Curnow. Ground breaking.

Virgin Dog

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’s been injured, and is currently playing injured. Hipwood isn’t “clearly the better player”...

They’re both guns, any team would be desperate to have on their list.

Pointless comparing them this season though. What a revelation. Hipwood is outperforming an injured Curnow. Ground breaking.
"Based on this year's output"

Before you get so defensive, try reading what you're replying to. Hipwood has been far better this year, regardless of whether Curnow is injured

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blue_trinity

Senior List
Oct 28, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
"Based on this year's output"

Before you get so defensive, try reading what you're replying to. Hipwood has been far better this year, regardless of whether Curnow is injured
Should probably include the whole quote if you’re going to do it, and not just nit pic the parts that suit the your arguement.

“Based on this year’s output, Hipwood is clearly the better player”.

Which part of that sentence shows any sense of logic?

Comparing a injured player to a fit one and the concluding one is “clearly the better player”?

Using 9 games to conclude one is “clearly the better player”? (Even less actually, since Curnow has missed a couple).

Being a “better” player suggests that they have more talent and will apply that talent compared to whomever you’re comparing them with.

Just struggling to understand how you came to that conclusion.

And saying Hipwood has been “far better this year” is both obvious, and redundant! Of course he has, ones been injured.
By the same logic, based off this year Levi Casboult “is clearly the better player”....

I’m not being defensive. It’s just moronic.
Have nothing to be defensive about, quite happy with Carlton’s KPF stocks and I fully agree that Hipwood will be a star of the comp.

And maybe it was unfair to single you out, as there’s been several others that have been using the same stupid argument. So sorry, not really having a go at you in particular. Just making a point.

4THAWN

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1 Oliver
2 Hipwood
3 Hopper
4 Milera
5 Burton
6 Curnow
7 Parish
8 Mills(Barely know who he is)
9 Weitering (Will probably become a pretty good player but takes yonks to develop the big blokes)
10 Rioli (would've been top 5 a season ago)

Tom14

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1 Oliver
2 Hipwood
3 Hopper
4 Milera
5 Burton
6 Curnow
7 Parish
8 Mills(Barely know who he is)
9 Weitering (Will probably become a pretty good player but takes yonks to develop the big blokes)
10 Rioli (would've been top 5 a season ago)
Hopper ahead of Hipwood for me. McKay edging into the top 10.

Bit of a meh draft in retrospect though it is still early days.

barberbarbarian

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Where’s my Fiorini gang at
Out of sight out of mind - never even copped a rising star nomination.

Averaging 29 touches (10 contested, 19 kicks), 0.9 goal assists, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 5 inside 50's and 461m gained per game should definitely be in top 10 with this draft at the moment though. Only thing letting him down currently is his DE% which hopefully will improve when he isn't having to do most of the midfield work himself.

Orasia Fantazio

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I have absolutely no doubt if Fiorini played for one of the big Vic clubs some would have him ahead of Oliver. Criminally underrated, will s*** in their b&f this year.

I'd have Oliver clear top then a logjam with Fiorini, Hopper, Milera, Gresham, Hipwood and Curnow.

Not making any crazy calls here but Parish played a career best game last week, hopefully things are starting to click now we seem to have found his best position.

Tulip

Hall of Famer
May 3, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham
You start getting an idea of whether someone will be a real player or a bit ‘meh’ in their 4th and 5th seasons. Usually equals out early form/development. At this stage, McKay will be a better player than Curnow and probably by a bit of a margin. Quality KPF who still kicks goals and takes marks when his team is being thrashed. A bit of Fev about his presence in the F50 this year.

Top Bottom