Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Trolling is throwing out ridiculous statements you clearly haven't fact checked in the hope of provoking a response. You have a history of doing this, and when confronted with facts you become bullish and continue to throw out bait.

Make a reasonable argument, or move along.

Last I checked JSOS didn't move halfway across the country to a club where he knows virtually no one, after a recent family tragedy. Nor does he swing from one end of the ground to the other and have difficulty settling into one position.

JSOS is 191cm according to the source I was looking at. I confess I don't watch him play a hell of a lot, but he seems more like a skinny little thing and I doubt he'd get the third tall defender - that'd be Ambrose at Essendon currently. He'd be monstered. He'd probably outrun Francis in a marathon though, if that's any consolation.
Before you accuse people of making ridiculous statements you might want to look in the mirror.

YOU have compared Francis to Harry McKay. A 194cm utility vs a 204cm full forward.

YOU have said Francis has moved half way across the country to play at Essendon. Last time I looked it took an hour to get from Melbourne to Adelaide.

YOU have called Francis a swingman but said JSOS is not. You clearly have not watched JSOS play as he has played forward, on ball, and down back. Francis only got moved forward because he can’t defend 1 on 1.

Fair dinkum. If anyone is a troll it is you - those three statements alone show you have a total lack of knowledge OR are a troll.

Feel free to re-read my responses. They are all factual and on the money. The issue is that you and your Essendon brethren like to throw out BS about other teams players/trading, but don’t like the truth when the facts are presented about your own players/trading. That is not trolling.

My post that got deleted said all you needed to say about Carlton’s drafting outside the first round. From 2012-2017 1/34 is currently in their best 22. 2 of those 34 they delisted and are now best 22 at better clubs.

Ours hasn’t been amazing but we’re nowhere near that sort of level.
But isn’t this why it got deleted? This is the 2015 draft thread. Essendons drafting during that period was diabolical, apart from mature age selections, but that’s a topic for another thread.

How about you stick to the 2015 draft which Carlton people are ecstatic about.

Weitering
McKay
Curnow
Cuningham
Silvagni

All the negativity is about our pick 53, who has played 51 games, way more than the majority of players picked at 50+.

Francis has a lot of talent but his tank has to be concerning and I think he's also at the wrong club for his kind of game given Essendon already have Hurley and Hooker. He's someone that I could see flourishing at another club.

Before you accuse people of making ridiculous statements you might want to look in the mirror.

YOU have compared Francis to Harry McKay. A 194cm utility vs a 204cm full forward.

YOU have said Francis has moved half way across the country to play at Essendon. Last time I looked it took an hour to get from Melbourne to Adelaide.

YOU have called Francis a swingman but said JSOS is not. You clearly have not watched JSOS play as he has played forward, on ball, and down back. Francis only got moved forward because he can’t defend 1 on 1.

Fair dinkum. If anyone is a troll it is you - those three statements alone show you have a total lack of knowledge OR are a troll.

Feel free to re-read my responses. They are all factual and on the money. The issue is that you and your Essendon brethren like to throw out BS about other teams players/trading, but don’t like the truth when the facts are presented about your own players/trading. That is not trolling.
You’ve got a good player but you don’t prove anything by comparing him to Francis. You only bring it up when arguing with Essendon supporters, and you do so to troll.

Kudos on getting a father/son who has played 50 games, another 50 and you’ll have entitlement to the fourth generation. I wonder what the most generations in the same family at the same club would be 🤔Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy when the sons come back to play for your club. :)

Francis has a lot of talent but his tank has to be concerning and I think he's also at the wrong club for his kind of game given Essendon already have Hurley and Hooker. He's someone that I could see flourishing at another club.

Hooker is 30, Hurley 29. Brown and McKernan are late 20s too. Francis will get his chance. Just needs to build his tank and work on his game when he’s not getting opportunities (though thanks to injuries he’s had plenty).

I suppose somebody should point out that not quite cementing yourself in a 2-10 team and not quite cementing yourself in a 6-6 team aren't the same thing. Francis is being kept out of the Essendon squad by quality competition, even Weitering wouldn't be playing down back for us at the moment, Silvagni is continually in the mix because Carlton is terrible.

I suppose somebody should point out that not quite cementing yourself in a 2-10 team and not quite cementing yourself in a 6-6 team aren't the same thing. Francis is being kept out of the Essendon squad by quality competition, even Weitering wouldn't be playing down back for us at the moment, Silvagni is continually in the mix because Carlton is terrible.
Yes in a slightly better team Jack would’ve probably only managed to get a dozen or so games like Francis rather than the 50 he’s played, I agree.

Many pundits would have weitering in their rolling AA team...

Seems the talk around Parish in here has quietened down the last month. Strange...

Developing into a genuine class mid. All those writing him off because he hadn't become a superstar by age 21 look like they may have to ear their words.
I've been a critic (surprising I know), but he seems to have turned it around the last 2-3 games. Looks clean and playing confident footy. Good on him.

Serious question. Where would you rate him in this draft?

I was using AFL tables. Sure if you want to compare all similar sized players from that draft.

Great site, but needs updating. Even Wikipedia managed to keep current.

Yeah, why not? If tracking the progress of a mid-sized player, you’d compare him to other midsized players from the same draft. Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't have height or playing positions on it unfortunately.

This one has the number of games they've played which is kinda interesting: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2015&t=N&s=P

Might have to open players individually to find their height/position. What height range are we going for? 190-195? 192-195?
(edit: JSOS is listed as 191 on footywire as well. Perhaps we need to go back to each individual club website to see if they grew?)

And then there's a draft summary by club here: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_draft_summaries?year=2015&t=N&s=G

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 3.35.57 pm.png

Francis is interesting, clearly a backman, but probably individually hurt more by the six six six rule than anyone in the competition. Was dominating that plus one role in his games last year, perfectly suited attributes for it but alas now that reality is gone.

I’d back him in for two years and develop him forward. Still ridiculously strong and skilled but needs to get his running game up. I think he could be a match winner but we need to accept we will require more patience.

Strange response. YOU posted about SOS’ poor selections post the first round. I replied with Dodo’s post first round selections.

To repeat...Essendons late drafting selections in 2015 were abysmal.

Brown not good enough to play in any other team. No problems agreeing that Walla is a good player. Both were mature age though weren’t they?

Of the five 18 year olds drafted only Redman has played AFL, three have been DELISTED and the other is a project player who has not worked.

Diabolical in anyone’s language.

Our 2015 draft wasn't amazing but it was far from 'diabolical'.
Tippa is a success. What difference does it make if he was a mature age pick?
Brown is good enough to be depth for many teams. Solid player that can play at both ends at a decent level. For pick 54 you take that. You talk as if he is a terrible player, but his stats are actually comparable to Mitch McGovern's.
I am willing to call Redman a success already. Looks the goods.

As for the rest - Who cares if picks 60+ are busts? Most players taken in this range are. I will give you Morgan though.
I remember when you claimed our 2014 draft was a complete bust as well. But we got some really solid role players as well as Connor Mckenna who is a potential star. You are wrong again.

He’s not quite tall enough for a KPP but the hope when we drafted him was that he could be a second tall for Daniher (or a mid.. or a bunch of other things). He’s really more like Stringer in that he can play that role if he has to but is more suited to a third tall role. He was replacing Hooker earlier this year when Hooker had a calf injury, and replaced Brown/Daniher while they’ve been injured up forward.

Point being the comparison to JSOS is a bit daft. Compare him to Curnow or Weideman or McKay. At least they’re closer to the mark.

Silvagni is the most apt comparison.

Too small for key position.

Slow.

But good skills and footy smarts.

Francis is nothing like Curnow, Weideman or McKay.

Apart from Dogs supporters one we can all agree we missed was Josh Dunkley. What a star! Love Clarry as a player but Dunkley is pushing him. I have him a clear number 2 right now.

Curnow a nice game tonight but needs to start putting together some consistency to be pushing into that top 5.

Our 2015 draft wasn't amazing but it was far from 'diabolical'.
Tippa is a success. What difference does it make if he was a mature age pick?
Brown is good enough to be depth for many teams. Solid player that can play at both ends at a decent level. For pick 54 you take that. You talk as if he is a terrible player, but his stats are actually comparable to Mitch McGovern's.
I am willing to call Redman a success already. Looks the goods.

As for the rest - Who cares if picks 60+ are busts? Most players taken in this range are. I will give you Morgan though.
I remember when you claimed our 2014 draft was a complete bust as well. But we got some really solid role players as well as Connor Mckenna who is a potential star. You are wrong again.
Nah. I’m right. Dodo cannot pick young talent. History doesn’t lie.

The reference to late draft picks was from your Essendon mate potting SOS’ drafting. Before he realised how bad Dodo is at it..

Apart from Dogs supporters one we can all agree we missed was Josh Dunkley. What a star! Love Clarry as a player but Dunkley is pushing him. I have him a clear number 2 right now.

Curnow a nice game tonight but needs to start putting together some consistency to be pushing into that top 5.
Dunkley is a gun.

Oliver still no. 1.

Greasham right up there.

Quite a few others showing they can have a major impact.

Looking like a good draft.

Who are the 4 keeping him out of the top 5? He is easily top 5 imo. Just kicked 7 goals and has 12 in the last 3 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back