Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Trade bait then maybe? I don’t mean that in a bad way though. Decent player with many strengths, but not able to be used to best advantage because his strengths you already have covered

Yeah I said it was likely he ends up at another club.

I'd just rather we move Zaharakis/Smith/Merrett to the wing/hff and let Parish thrive as a midfielder. If he was given the chance I suspect he'd put up very good numbers.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Said every person ever when stats don’t support their assertion.
I make no claim that Tippa is better. Just using stats to support what my eyes tell me. That the poster I was responding to is overating Rioli if they believe he is well ahead of Tippa Menagola etc.
You realise that Rioli has Tippa covered in many key statistics and they’re almost identical? I also rate all of Shiel, Smith and Merrett above Ross. People that heavily rely on stats don’t watch football.

You realise that Rioli has Tippa covered in many key statistics and they’re almost identical? I also rate all of Shiel, Smith and Merrett above Ross. People that heavily rely on stats don’t watch football.
upload_2018-12-21_23-49-38.png

I take it that handballs per game and time on ground are the key statistics?

So what is the floggier argument of the past few pages: Dan Rioli is the goat or Charlie Curnow is significantly better than Eric Hipwood?

Josh Dunkley is certainly up there btw. Established himself in a premiership side in his first season, made jack darling wet himself in a final, has had a few injuries since but was getting back to it in late 2018

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
View attachment 597663

I take it that handballs per game and time on ground are the key statistics?
Omg lol. Does it really need to be said that I was referring to this season? You’re comparing their career averages, which is amazingly stupid. One debuted as a mature age player and the other debuted as an undersized 19 year old. One was ready to go while the other had to learn to play against men. It would be like comparing Michael Barlow’s first three seasons with Clayton Oliver’s. Barlow hit the ground running because he was fully developed, whereas Oliver took time to find his feet. Once he did he went straight past him, yet if you look at their career averages at that point in time, Barlow’s would be superior. Wouldn’t you find that a bit misleading considering Oliver is the better player after three seasons? That’s what is happening to you right now. You’re being mislead by statistics. This is why they’re stupid.

Also what relevance does their debut season have on today? Charlie Curnow couldn’t get a kick in his first season, but James Podsiadly could. I would have Curnow as the better player over Pods after their first three seasons, despite Pods having the superior stats. Are you getting it now? Do you understand how truly meaningless it is to compare Tippa/Rioli career statistics now? Jesus wept lol.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Omg lol. Does it really need to be said that I was referring to this season? You’re comparing their career averages, which is amazingly stupid. One debuted as a mature age player and the other debuted as an undersized 19 year old. One was ready to go while the other had to learn to play against men. It would be like comparing Michael Barlow’s first three seasons with Clayton Oliver’s. Barlow hit the ground running because he was fully developed, whereas Oliver took time to find his feet. Once he did he went straight past him, yet if you look at their career averages at that point in time, Barlow’s would be superior. Wouldn’t you find that a bit misleading considering Oliver is the better player after three seasons? That’s what is happening to you right now. You’re being mislead by statistics. This is why they’re stupid.

Also what relevance does their debut season have on today? Charlie Curnow couldn’t get a kick in his first season, but James Podsiadly could. I would have Curnow as the better player over Pods after their first three seasons, despite Pods having the superior stats. Are you getting it now? Do you understand how truly meaningless it is to compare Tippa/Rioli career statistics now? Jesus wept lol.

Potential is all Rioli has over Tippa though.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Potential is all Rioli has over Tippa though.
Rioli is just flat out better. He’s quicker, more skilful, more clutch, more intelligent and more evasive. Tippa has more strength and power and he’s probably a better mark but Rioli takes hangers. I just don’t see what case you could make for Tippa being better. I’m all ears though.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Rioli is just flat out better. He’s quicker, more skilful, more clutch, more intelligent and more evasive. Tippa has more strength and power and he’s probably a better mark but Rioli takes hangers. I just don’t see what case you could make for Tippa being better. I’m all ears though.

More skillful? Tippa is one of the more dual sided players in the comp and has super high retention rates for kicks inside 50 also averaged more than twice as many goal assists than Rioli in 2018

More evasive? Tippa is top 5 in the comp for tackles broken.

I know you say stats don't matter but Tippa averages more goals in his career despite playing a third of it as a HBF.

Happy to concede Rioli has the higher cieling but I just don't see how he's curently the better performed player

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
More skillful? Tippa is one of the more dual sided players in the comp and has super high retention rates for kicks inside 50 also averaged more than twice as many goal assists than Rioli in 2018

More evasive? Tippa is top 5 in the comp for tackles broken.

I know you say stats don't matter but Tippa averages more goals in his career despite playing a third of it as a HBF.

Happy to concede Rioli has the higher cieling but I just don't see how he's curently the better performed player
Rioli regularly does things that Tippa couldn’t dream of doing. He’s a freak. Tippa whilst having a decent skillset is not on his level. He does the basics well. Rioli does the unthinkable well. He’s a class above in that regard.

Is he really top five in the comp? Do you have evidence to support that?

A season goal average is a poor statistic to use given that Rioli also missed half of the year. Do you see how easily this stuff can get skewed? I’d accept average goals per game game in 2018. Tippa is 1.2 and Daniel is 1.1.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Can you provide a link to the “more clutch stat”. Or is this a kid stat you made up?

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Can you provide a link to the “more clutch stat”. Or is this a kid stat you made up?
There’s no statistic to measure clutch, but he has broken two finals open. Has Tippa?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Rioli regularly does things that Tippa couldn’t dream of doing. He’s a freak. Tippa whilst having a decent skillset is not on his level. He does the basics well. Rioli does the unthinkable well. He’s a class above in that regard.

Is he really top five in the comp? Do you have evidence to support that?

A season goal average is a poor statistic to use given that Rioli also missed half of the year. Do you see how easily this stuff can get skewed? I’d accept average goals per game game in 2018. Tippa is 1.2 and Daniel is 1.1.

You don't think this skilled crap is marred by your bias? Tippa certiainlyt isn't a player who you would describe as just does the basics well.

I could be getting my years mixed up as it was a Dustin Martin article late in the season ie could well have been the 2017 season but I'm pretty sure it was 2018 . Had Tippa 3rd behind Power Pepper with Martin way out front.

I mentioned career goal average. I used season goal assist average and am happy to admit that could be skewed but not by over 100% which is the difference between Rioli and Tippa.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

yet when riolo and gresham debut in the same year and gresh has him covered in pretty much every statistic over their careers richmond supporters claim stats are overrated... go figure.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
You don't think this skilled crap is marred by your bias? Tippa certiainlyt isn't a player who you would describe as just does the basics well.

I could be getting my years mixed up as it was a Dustin Martin article late in the season ie could well have been the 2017 season but I'm pretty sure it was 2018 . Had Tippa 3rd behind Power Pepper with Martin way out front.

I mentioned career goal average. I used season goal assist average and am happy to admit that could be skewed but not by over 100% which is the difference between Rioli and Tippa.
Nah I honestly don’t. Rioli is probably the second most skilful player at Richmond behind Dusty. You could make a case for Shane Edwards but I think Rioli does stuff that Sheds couldn’t do and he backs it up to prove it’s no fluke. How regularly do you watch Richmond? Not having a go, just genuinely interested.

I saw it before trying to find the broken tackles stats. Tipungwuti wasn’t in that list. Stringer was your highest with five. He was ranked tenth.

Wait, which stat favoured Tippa heavily?

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
yet when riolo and gresham debut in the same year and gresh has him covered in pretty much every statistic over their careers richmond supporters claim stats are overrated... go figure.
Bizzare people keep quoting me with regards to Gresham. I’ve said probably five times now he’s better than Dan.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah I honestly don’t. Rioli is probably the second most skilful player at Richmond behind Dusty. You could make a case for Shane Edwards but I think Rioli does stuff that Sheds couldn’t do and he backs it up to prove it’s no fluke. How regularly do you watch Richmond? Not having a go, just genuinely interested.

I saw it before trying to find the broken tackles stats. Tipungwuti wasn’t in that list. Stringer was your highest with five. He was ranked tenth.

Wait, which stat favoured Tippa heavily?

Tippa would be top 3 at Essendon so we're really splitting hairs. That being said most skillful isn't a very exact term. I'd have Riewoldt as Richmond's most skillful player with his hands and field kicking. Probably 12 plus no idea .

Might have been 2017 or I could be confusing stats entirely. Tippa was top 3 in something lol

Goal Assists

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Gresham would have to be one of the Saints top 3 picks over the last ten years.

Notwithstanding their drafting has been woeful over this time, Gresham looks to be a legitimate game breaker.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Tippa would be top 3 at Essendon so we're really splitting hairs. That being said most skillful isn't a very exact term. I'd have Riewoldt as Richmond's most skillful player with his hands and field kicking. Probably 12 plus no idea .

Might have been 2017 or I could be confusing stats entirely. Tippa was top 3 in something lol

Goal Assists
I consider skill as technical ability and Rioli has Jack covered in most areas. Rioli’s problem is that he drifts in and out of games too often. What he does when he has it is amazing but he can go missing. Typically players who make every possession damaging don’t find the ball a lot, but he could definitely improve in that area. Richmond are a low possession team as well, so I think Rioli’s stats suffer from that a bit too.

I saw the 2017 list with Dusty on like 68, SPP on 21 then the rest below ten. I thought that was the one you were referring to. The only one I saw in 2018 was done early on in the year and Dusty/Cotchin were on top with eight. Tippa wasn’t in that one either. Maybe the final 2018 list he made? I don’t know, I haven’t seen it.

But anyway, we’re going around in circles a bit. I’ll concede that there’s not much separating them but I still think Rioli is better.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I love it when supporters of 17 others teams can all band together to outline a clear bias of overrating a certain player by said player’s team supporters.

Rioli is at the backend of the top 20 in this draft. Literally everyone agrees on that except for Richmond supporters.

Someone said Rioli has Tippa covered in most key stats. I’m still yet to see those stats.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
I love it when supporters of 17 others teams can all band together to outline a clear bias of overrating a certain player by said player’s team supporters.

Rioli is at the backend of the top 20 in this draft. Literally everyone agrees on that except for Richmond supporters.

Someone said Rioli has Tippa covered in most key stats. I’m still yet to see those stats.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think we can all agree, that due to the fact that every player Rioli is compared with has superior stats to him over every season they have played, that stats are overrated and shouldn't be used.

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So what is the floggier argument of the past few pages: Dan Rioli is the goat or Charlie Curnow is significantly better than Eric Hipwood?

Josh Dunkley is certainly up there btw. Established himself in a premiership side in his first season, made jack darling wet himself in a final, has had a few injuries since but was getting back to it in late 2018

Probably the one where you take two arguments that have zero relevance to anything Bulldogs yet your post still manages to do so.
Congratulations, you’re the winner.

Back