Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Omg lol. Does it really need to be said that I was referring to this season? You’re comparing their career averages, which is amazingly stupid. One debuted as a mature age player and the other debuted as an undersized 19 year old. One was ready to go while the other had to learn to play against men. It would be like comparing Michael Barlow’s first three seasons with Clayton Oliver’s. Barlow hit the ground running because he was fully developed, whereas Oliver took time to find his feet. Once he did he went straight past him, yet if you look at their career averages at that point in time, Barlow’s would be superior. Wouldn’t you find that a bit misleading considering Oliver is the better player after three seasons? That’s what is happening to you right now. You’re being mislead by statistics. This is why they’re stupid.

Also what relevance does their debut season have on today? Charlie Curnow couldn’t get a kick in his first season, but James Podsiadly could. I would have Curnow as the better player over Pods after their first three seasons, despite Pods having the superior stats. Are you getting it now? Do you understand how truly meaningless it is to compare Tippa/Rioli career statistics now? Jesus wept lol.
What's really stupid is acting like Daniel Rioli is the second coming of Christ after a handful of good games but I'm having a lot of fun watching you do it. You're making for a very entertaining Christmas, my dude

Probably the one where you take two arguments that have zero relevance to anything Bulldogs yet your post still manages to do so.
Congratulations, you’re the winner.

The second part of my post was addressing the thread. Dunkley was in the 2015 draft.

So you are right, it had nothing to do with the silly pissing contests that preceded that point

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
What's really stupid is acting like Daniel Rioli is the second coming of Christ after a handful of good games but I'm having a lot of fun watching you do it. You're making for a very entertaining Christmas, my dude
So you’re claiming I think Daniel Rioli is the second coming of Christ because I think he’s better than Tipungwuti? Amazing.

I’m glad I’ve made your Christmas too, my dude. Family, friends, beers and great food make mine.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Richmond won the flag with one key forward. Never been done before as far as I know

Then finished first, with the same side. Rioli contributed in more than a handful of games.

The Saints and Essendon being more or less rubbish the last two seasons isn't the key part of the discussion but its a fairly important factor in the comparison - a lot less pressure in these dead rubber games

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Richmond won the flag with one key forward. Never been done before as far as I know

Then finished first, with the same side. Rioli contributed in more than a handful of games.

The Saints and Essendon being more or less rubbish the last two seasons isn't the key part of the discussion but its a fairly important factor in the comparison - a lot less pressure in these dead rubber games

Has he done anything of note, ever?

You guys are just embarrassing yourselves now.

We get it you rate Dan very highly. The rest of us know he played an important role in your premiership side and will probably continue to play that role for the rest of his career.

I can’t see him being any better than the top 15 of this draft though.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

We get it you rate Dan very highly. The rest of us know he played an important role in your premiership side and will probably continue to play that role for the rest of his career.

It be interesting to be a fly on the wall in a hypothetical situation; if the Richmond brains trust were offered any '15draft player in a straight trade with Daniel Rioli who they would exchange him for. :) The saints fan already was mature enough to acknowledge they wouldnt do Greshem

Clayton Oliver, for sure but who else

I know on draft day they called out Himmelberg before it was matched; although they probable knew he wasn't available

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Lmao Jesus wept. I said I think he’s better than Tipungwuti and you Essendon fans are carrying on as if I’ve said he’s better than Gary Ablett Sr.

Before this Rioli talk started, neutrals had him in the 8th to 15th range, so it seems you’re in the minority for thinking he falls outside of the top 15.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

You literally only have to go back one year to see that the Western Bulldogs did it in 2016

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Stringer is bigger than Caddy/Townsend and wasnt one of the doggies tall defenders floating forward too?
Being bigger than Caddy/Townsend doesn't make him a 'key forward' by definition though, they're all realistically medium forwards.

If memory serves correctly they swung Zaine Cordy forward for patches when Boyd was in the ruck but it was Picken for the most part that ended up playing as the main forward target

Being bigger than Caddy/Townsend doesn't make him a 'key forward' by definition though, they're all realistically medium forwards.

If memory serves correctly they swung Zaine Cordy forward for patches when Boyd was in the ruck but it was Picken for the most part that ended up playing as the main forward target

Not quite. Zaine Cordy started forward with Boyd. We didn’t really have a “main target” when Boyd was in the ruck. Hence Grundy taking something like 11 intercept marks, we basically just kicked to him. Boyd torched him when they were matched up.

Even then, Cordy is 191cm. Not exactly a tall.

Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I see the Cyril effect is hereditary.

Just waiting for the "Dan can do more with 8 possessions than the average player can do with 20" comments....

Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Sounds like Carlton supporters and David Cuningham. Wouldn’t project him to still be on your main list at the end of 2019.
No ones talking up Cuningham in this thread and you'll struggle to find a Carlton supporter that thinks he's in our best 22. Completely off the mark with this one lmao.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
No ones talking up Cuningham in this thread and you'll struggle to find a Carlton supporter that thinks he's in our best 22. Completely off the mark with this one lmao.
That’s a relief.
This time last year Carlton supporters were arguing that he was legitimately a better pick than Dunkley.

Probably one of the two misses in the top 25 of this draft, which looks to be a good one.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I happen to think that Tippa is a better/more consistent player than Rioli.

FYI I am not saying DR is a bum, which is what Richmond fans will imply, but I love Tippa's run and dash, and tackling pressure, think Tippa is ahead of Rioli at this point in time)

I would say Rioli has more upside/bigger ceiling than Tippa though.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Not quite. Zaine Cordy started forward with Boyd. We didn’t really have a “main target” when Boyd was in the ruck. Hence Grundy taking something like 11 intercept marks, we basically just kicked to him. Boyd torched him when they were matched up.

Even then, Cordy is 191cm. Not exactly a tall.

Stinger isn’t a key forward.

Alright, allow me to rephrase. Richmond won the flag with an ultra small forward line. Never been done before as far as I know.

Obviously Jack Riewoldt deserves a lot of credit but Rioli was essentially the leader and the best player in the small ball brigade. The media eventually jumped on the bandwagon and was fawning over the pressure that was being created.

The 'one good, handful of good games' narrative is widly off the mark. Winning the premiership isn't the be all and end all in terms of this thread but its a pretty big tick in the Daniel Rioli box. Its easier too look good in a lesser sides playing meaningless games. The bottom 8 teams guys have to take at least some responsibility for their teams being rubbish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back