Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I still reckon Melbourne would swap Ollie (good as he is) for Charlie Curnow in a heart beat.

What it does say is that picks one and two were brain farts with Oliver available, and Curnow was an absolute steal at 12. I still like Weiderman as well. He moved well today.

You can’t win them all.

Redo would also take into account potential as well as performance at least that's the way I understand this exercise.

Why? You draft only on potential. This is to redraft the players that have performed and where they should have been taken in the draft based off of their output to date

What it does say is that picks one and two were brain farts with Oliver available, and Curnow was an absolute steal at 12. I still like Weiderman as well. He moved well today.

You can’t win them all.

Schache is poo, but Weitering is still salvageable (look a million bucks against Essendon)

Schache is poo, but Weitering is still salvageable (look a million bucks against Essendon)
Salvageable is a good word for Weitering. Hadn’t thought of him that way before.

Although for a number one pick you wouldn’t be hoping to describe him in this way in his forth year

He ain’t in Oliver’s class no doubt.

Salvageable is a good word for Weitering. Hadn’t thought of him that way before.

Although for a number one pick you wouldn’t be hoping to describe him in this way in his forth year

He ain’t in Oliver’s class no doubt.

No doubt, but in JW's defence, he has played at a dysfunctional footy clun/environment since day 1.

Think as collectively as Carlton improve as team, so will Weiters. Jack Niall posted brilliant article on him a few days ago on realfooty.com.au and i couldn't agree more.

No doubt, but in JW's defence, he has played at a dysfunctional footy clun/environment since day 1.

Think as collectively as Carlton improve as team, so will Weiters. Jack Niall posted brilliant article on him a few days ago on realfooty.com.au and i couldn't agree more.
Agree.
Stats say he has the potential to be an exceptional intercept defender.

But after coach Bolton put him forward and drained his confidence in year two, who knows where he plays this year.

It’s all upward from here no doubt. Dare I say it for a Carlton player- he has potential.

Agree.
Stats say he has the potential to be an exceptional intercept defender.

But after coach Bolton put him forward and drained his confidence in year two, who knows where he plays this year.

It’s all upward from here no doubt. Dare I say it for a Carlton player- he has potential.

Weitering's output in the first 3 years is top 3 as a KPD

As for Gresham, his numbers are considerably better than Rioli

You missed a beauty there

I still reckon Melbourne would swap Ollie (good as he is) for Charlie Curnow in a heart beat.

But who cares either way, both are future champions of the game, Brisbane fudged up with Schache with pick 2, but got Hipwood later on, so it evened itself out .i
Hope Milera goes on with this year for your lads, he can seriously play.

I reckon > 5% of Dees fans would swap Oliver for Curnow.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can’t win them all.

A "brain fart".

There you go again with the absurd suggestion pick 1 has to be the best player of the draft to not have been a mistake.

If he develops into the player we think he might, it was not a mistake to pick him first, even if someone picked after him has the better career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my prediction for this draft class rankings after this season and beyond

1 - Clayton Oliver
2 - Charlie Curnow
3 - Harry McKay
4 - Eric Hipwood
5 - Callum Mills
6 - Aaron Francis
7 - Sam Weideman
8 - Josh Dunkley
9 - Jade Gresham
10 - Jacob Weitering

11 - Daniel Rioli
12 - Tom Phillips
13 - Ryan Burton
14 - Tom Doedee
15 - Wayne Milera
16 - Jacob Hopper
17 - David Cuningham
18 - Darcy Parish
19 - Harrison Himmelberg
20 - Ben Keays
I wanna see more from Hipwood.
Kid looks to have everything required to explode as a CHF, but its early to tell. And far too early to have him top 10
Same for McKay. Big years for them, but im not ready to predict top 10 for either.
That top 20 is something else though.

Only two pick 1s have been the best player from their draft, and one of those was Brendan Goddard (a terrible draft). Statistically its highly unlikely that the first player picked will end up the best player in the draft. If pick 1 ends up a 200 game player does that mean it was mistake to pick him? I don't think so.

I think it depends on the draft, you would hope that you can nab a top 5 player with pick 1, but to my memory Weitering was the clear no1 selection that all clubs would have taken. Really a no brainier. There's a bit more skill/pressure in a draft like 2016 where there isn't a general consensus pick 1. Could have been anyone from McGrath, Taranto, Mcluggage, Setterfield even SPS and Will Brodie.

Last edited:
Only two pick 1s have been the best player from their draft, and one of those was Brendan Goddard (a terrible draft). Statistically its highly unlikely that the first player picked will end up the best player in the draft. If pick 1 ends up a 200 game player does that mean it was mistake to pick him? I don't think so.
McGrath is still the best from his draft, though its only 2 years on
Taranto is right at his heels though.

its the hardest pick to get right.
Do you take the stand out kid, do you take a punt, do you go with your most pressing need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back