Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hipwood has been terrible this year and he's still done just as much as McKay has this season

But yeah nah let's discount all the runs on the board and base it off one game

That and he also has taken 5 more contested marks than any other player in the league this season

He was born on New Year’s Eve so barely scraps in for eligibility of this this draft, would have gone pick 1 in he went to the 2016 draft.

Way to avoid the question I posed one more time. Tells me everything I need to know
Apologies I haven't got back to you sooner. Was out for dinner last night; I'm not that sad little type that lives on BF.

Pretty sure I’ve answered all your questions. But in a nutshell...

Essendon had 4 selections in the top 30, with 2 of those selections in the top 6.

Carlton had 4 selections in the top 30, with 3 of those selections in the top 12.

At this stage, Carlton have done very well. Weitering, Curnow and Mckay are tracking nicely. Cuningham has had injury/form issues, but was in our best 22 round 1, before being injured again. SOS is a genius for being so bold as to select three key position players for his top 3 selections, which is unprecedented.

Essendon on the other hand have picked Parish & Francis with picks 5 & 6, both of whom are playing in the VFL. Morgan has been a bust and Redman has played 7 games. Dodoro got this horribly wrong.

Your statement that 15 carlton fans said McKay was a clear no.1 has been proven as bullshit. Everyone is in agreeance that Oliver is clear no.1...at this stage. We are however very happy with Harry's start to the year.

Your statement that Francis is better than all Carlton's defenders is ridiculous.

Your statement that Francis is on par with Weitering is laughable.

If you wish me to clarify anything else just let me know.

In the meantime. A question for you. Who are the better selections; Carlton's or Essendon's?

I'd just not talk to LTD. Biggest troll from Carlton.
Pretty happy for you to look at all my posts here. They are not trolling. They are stating facts.

I know it is frustrating for all Essendon supporters, but Parish & Francis are average footballers, Redman hasn't done much and Morgan is a bust. All teams go through this (Carlton’s record pre SOS was deplorable). You just have to accept it and move on.

Last edited:
Yeah it's safe to say SOS smashed this draft.

It's a shame Cuningham was injured as he's preseason form was very good.

Jack even played on Sunday.

Essendon will probably play finals the next 3 seasons, but I don't think there list is good enough to win a flag, and they might look back at this draft as the one Doro stuffed up.

Imagine Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow instead of Parish and Francis

Yeah it's safe to say SOS smashed this draft.

It's a shame Cuningham was injured as he's preseason form was very good.

Jack even played on Sunday.

Essendon will probably play finals the next 3 seasons, but I don't think there list is good enough to win a flag, and they might look back at this draft as the one Doro stuffed up.

Imagine Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow instead of Parish and Francis

They would be playing in the Essendon 2s with weitering, parish and Francis...

Apologies I haven't got back to you sooner. Was out for dinner last night; I'm not that sad little type that lives on BF.

Pretty sure I’ve answered all your questions. But in a nutshell...

Essendon had 4 selections in the top 30, with 2 of those selections in the top 6.

Carlton had 4 selections in the top 30, with 3 of those selections in the top 12.

At this stage, Carlton have done very well. Weitering, Curnow and Mckay are tracking nicely. Cuningham has had injury/form issues, but was in our best 22 round 1, before being injured again. SOS is a genius for being so bold as to select three key position players for his top 3 selections, which is unprecedented.

Essendon on the other hand have picked Parish & Francis with picks 5 & 6, both of whom are playing in the VFL. Morgan has been a bust and Redman has played 7 games. Dodoro got this horribly wrong.

Your statement that 15 carlton fans said McKay was a clear no.1 has been proven as bullshit. Everyone is in agreeance that Oliver is clear no.1...at this stage. We are however very happy with Harry's start to the year.

Your statement that Francis is better than all Carlton's defenders is ridiculous.

Your statement that Francis is on par with Weitering is laughable.

If you wish me to clarify anything else just let me know.

In the meantime. A question for you. Who are the better selections; Carlton's or Essendon's?

I can’t even get you comprehend the fact that it was 1 poster 15 times and not the other way around. What hope do I have getting you to comprehend the fact that a 20 year old who can take 8 intercept marks in a game is anything but an average footballer?

Carlton’s draft haul is looking better than ours no doubt, I’ve made it known that Francis is the only player of ours I’d rank in the top 20. The fact that people actually believe that Carlton have 3 of the top 4 players from this draft is the thing I can’t get my head around.

Anyway solid trolling, you got one more bite out of me, I’m done now.

I can’t even get you comprehend the fact that it was 1 poster 15 times and not the other way around. What hope do I have getting you to comprehend the fact that a 20 year old who can take 8 intercept marks in a game is anything but an average footballer?

Carlton’s draft haul is looking better than ours no doubt, I’ve made it known that Francis is the only player of ours I’d rank in the top 20. The fact that people actually believe that Carlton have 3 of the top 4 players from this draft is the thing I can’t get my head around.

Anyway solid trolling, you got one more bite out of me, I’m done now.
Cheers. Definitely not trolling. Just calling it how i see it, as you are.

Happy to move on.

One gets the feeling if Essendon had their time again, Pick 5 would be different. Any of Gresh, Curnow, Milera, Rioli, or even an early bid on Dunkley would be a better fit. It would seem Parish is behind a number of players for a spot in the 22. Shiel, Merrett, McGrath, Smith, Zaka.
Hindsight though. At the time our mids were Myers, Watson, Zaka, Stanton and a yet to be seen Merrett. We took the best midfielder left at the time and it wasnt wrong.
But we've certainly traded him out of a spot.

Having a forward that could displace baguley is our most pressing need right now. Gresh, Curnow and Rioli would do that. So could Dunkley.

It's not the worst problem to have.
Langford, Laverde, Francis, Parish, Begley - all battling for spots in a 22.
Kids can play. And earning spots is better than being gifted them.

Keeping all 4 at the club without picking them is going to be tough though.
Francis and Parish are OoC this year. Langford and Laverde the year after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty happy for you to look at all my posts here. They are not trolling. They are stating facts.

I know it is frustrating for all Essendon supporters, but Parish & Francis are average footballers, Redman hasn't done much and Morgan is a bust. All teams go through this (Carlton’s record pre SOS was deplorable). You just have to accept it and move on.
McKay has barely done much. Doesn't mean he isnt tracking nicely. A couple of standout games are good to see from him given how little exposure to AFL he's had
Francis is in the same boat, and his run of games at the end of 2018 showed similar potential. So calling him average yet McKay is tracking nicely is judging them by different standards.

Parish is fine. We just dont have a position for him. He's an onballer. Plain and simple. Its why we drafted him. But we dont play him there. And he doesnt have the scoreboard impact to play as a HFF (of which we have heaps and dont play them either). Until we name him in Myers' place, he doesnt have a spot.

We have Redman, Tippa and Brown from this draft in our best 22.
Parish & Francis as depth
Morgan, Eades and Nyuon didnt pan out.
Not a bad draft. Nor was Carlton's.

McKay has barely done much. Doesn't mean he isnt tracking nicely. A couple of standout games are good to see from him given how little exposure to AFL he's had
Francis is in the same boat, and his run of games at the end of 2018 showed similar potential. So calling him average yet McKay is tracking nicely is judging them by different standards.

Parish is fine. We just dont have a position for him. He's an onballer. Plain and simple. Its why we drafted him. But we dont play him there. And he doesnt have the scoreboard impact to play as a HFF (of which we have heaps and dont play them either). Until we name him in Myers' place, he doesnt have a spot.

Hartley also as depth.

Re your Francis and Mckay comparison. They are totally different players.

Mckay plays full forward. As Carlton’s main ‘go to’ forward. He has taken more contested marks in the first five rounds than anyone else in the league. A good start, but Harry needs to consistently play at a high standard, which he hasn’t done thus far.

Francis plays as the third tall defender. He isn’t strong one on one so can’t play the key defensive roles. His patch of form last year was as the third tall intercepting defender. The majority of his marks were uncontested.

Francis is languishing in the VFL. If Essendon can’t find him a position soon he will be in South Australia next year.

McKay is currently playing to a high standard in the AFL.

To say Essendon had ‘not a bad’ draft is a stretch. Their top 4 selections have been exceedingly underwhelming. Selections 5 & 6 playing VFL in their 4th year as what you call ‘depth players’ is concerning. Brown was a known player. You had trialled tippa as a top up player so that was a no brainer.

Carlton on the other hand absolutely smashed it.

1. Oliver (standout so far)
2. Gresham (quickly closing the gap on 1st)
3. Hipwood
4. Curnow
5. Doedee
5. Phillips
6. Hopper
7. Weitering
8. Rioli
9. Dunkley
10. Milera
11. McKay
12. Himmelberg
13. Burton
14. Fiorini
15. Mills

I think the pack are closing on Oliver. Will be interesting how rated by the end of 2020, after 6 years in the system.

1. Oliver (standout so far)
2. Gresham (quickly closing the gap on 1st)
3. Hipwood
4. Curnow
5. Doedee
5. Phillips
6. Hopper
7. Weitering
8. Rioli
9. Dunkley
10. Milera
11. McKay
12. Himmelberg
13. Burton
14. Fiorini
15. Mills

I think the pack are closing on Oliver. Will be interesting how rated by the end of 2020, after 6 years in the system.

Tom Phillips criminally under rated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you say that? Not on past evidence.

No team runs more hot and cold.

I have no confidence they will play finals this year, let alone the next two after that.

Something always glossed over in these threads is that players are actually on lists for years other than their best year.

Short of some “unprecedented” regression, Oliver should be almost untouchable. He has been elite almost from game 1. Lets say the great mystery box in McKay does have 1 season where he plays better than Oliver, so what?

Im taking 12 years of A-A+ footy from Oliver over the likely scenario whereby at best the others give you 5 years of A-A+, 3 years of B grade and 4 years of C grade.

Re your Francis and Mckay comparison. They are totally different players.

Mckay plays full forward. As Carlton’s main ‘go to’ forward. He has taken more contested marks in the first five rounds than anyone else in the league. A good start, but Harry needs to consistently play at a high standard, which he hasn’t done thus far.

Francis plays as the third tall defender. He isn’t strong one on one so can’t play the key defensive roles. His patch of form last year was as the third tall intercepting defender. The majority of his marks were uncontested.

Francis is languishing in the VFL. If Essendon can’t find him a position soon he will be in South Australia next year.

McKay is currently playing to a high standard in the AFL.

To say Essendon had ‘not a bad’ draft is a stretch. Their top 4 selections have been exceedingly underwhelming. Selections 5 & 6 playing VFL in their 4th year as what you call ‘depth players’ is concerning. Brown was a known player. You had trialled tippa as a top up player so that was a no brainer.

Carlton on the other hand absolutely smashed it.
Pressure on spots is keeping our kids out
Blues, less so
Both clubs did well at this draft

Pressure on spots is keeping our kids out
Blues, less so
Both clubs did well at this draft
Totally disagree.

Essendon did not draft players at 5 & 6 for them to be playing in the VFL in their 4th year. If they were good enough, they would be playing ahead of depth players in Ridley, Ambrose, Guelphi & Myers.

Happy to move on and agree to disagree.

Totally disagree.

Essendon did not draft players at 5 & 6 for them to be playing in the VFL in their 4th year. If they were good enough, they would be playing ahead of depth players in Ridley, Ambrose, Guelphi & Myers.

Happy to move on and agree to disagree.
You say you're not a troll and then you say Ridley is a depth player. That is an absolute pisser.

You say you're not a troll and then you say Ridley is a depth player. That is an absolute pisser.
He's played 8 games and has been omitted once already this season. If somebody like Francis comes into form, he may get dropped again - how is he not a depth player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back