Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I'm not gonna lie, I think Petrevski-Seton is going to be a very good player. If O'Meara nominated us I have little dout we would have traded 1 for O'Meara and 4, bid on Setterfield and hopefully then taking him. I'm an unabashed fan. But to say McGrath is tracking to be an average player is plainly incorrect. He wasn't fantastic today but he'd be comfortably in our top 10 for our BnF right now.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Did you see SPS rack up 35 and a goal hitting targets on both feet? He's got far more upside than McGrath who's never played a game at that level and who is not on the same planet as Taranto or McLuggage.

What compounds the terrible selection of McGrath is he is criminally undersized to ever be a good mid and if there's one thing Essendon have a surplus of its small mids.

Wait, wait, wait, hold up a second..

Youré trying to instil Sam Petrevski Seton as one of the big 3 as a 180cm midfielder whilst denouncing Andy McGrath as a better version despite being all of 2cm shorter.

Interesting

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
You might want to look up the definition of "excellent".

I believe "solid back pocket" or "average undersized mid" are more reflective of his output/ceiling.

I'll take the consistent utility over the flaky inconsistent hybrid thing your flogging off as a midfielder.

McGrath is tracking fine as a mid

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I
Pre-draft how was this group viewed, it now looks like a few good ones, but overall not looking like a great draft.
t was viewed by many as one of the worst drafts of all time.

With some KPP still to develop it will take time ie Weitering, Curnow, Hipwood, Weideman, Mckays, Himmelberg

There is still some elite talent Oliver, Gresham , Phillips,
and lots of solid guys with lots of potential. Its definetly outdoing the pre draft views on the 2015 year

Senior List
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I wont be including Carlton plays as I am obviously biased towards them.

1. Oliver: Clear standout, not much needs to be said

2. Gresham: A type of player all supporters would love to have at their club, exciting small forward who can really effectively push through the midfield (although based on this season it might be more correct to call him a midfielder who can play small forward), really effective player who rarely wastes disposals. My favorite aspect of his is how clean he is with ground ball gets, really turns 50/50 possession into a win for his team. Main criticism is despite being a decent-to-good pressure player, id like to see him tackle more and force a stoppage .

3. Hipwood: I think its fairly obvious that Hipwood will become a top key-forward, you just have to look how he is tracking against todays best at the same age to see it, superb mobility for his size and consistently hits the scoreboard. Also his goal kicking has been much improved this year imo. Knock would be that while he is a great mark on the lead, id like to see him get another 1-2 contested marks a game, either inside 50, or down the wings.

4. Milera: I really rate this bloke, looks very classy with ball in hand and provides great run, his defense is underrated if you ask me too, with him rarely being beaten one-on-one and getting more than his fair share of tackles every week, I was really devastated to see him go down last week as he was really building. While he has shown the ability to be a great kick, and I commend the endeavor with his kicking, I would like to see him use the easier option as he too often tries the difficult kick, but it doesn't always pay off.

5. Hopper: Had a really strong 2018 season in a midfield where it is quite hard to stand out in, hes a great stoppage player who has shown a natural ability to win the ball at the coalface and then rarely waste it. He's improved his kicking a lot this year which has served him well in becoming much more damaging, with much improved inside 50 and score involvement numbers as a result. While his contested numbers are great, I think the next step he can take which will really make him elite would be providing more spread and getting some uncontested marks which will give him more opportunity to really hurt the opposition with his kicking, although this will be hard in a Giants team who have many other players doing this.

6. Mills: This is a funny one as you could definitely see him either being a top-3ish player from this draft, or an unfulfilled talent who wont crack the top 20. Mills' talent is obvious and looked an absolute monty to become one of the drafts best midfielders yet he just hasn't made that jump. He is a good HBF but I dont think Sydney drafted him with the intention for him to play out his career in that position. I think it might be best for both parties to move him on at the end of the season if he isn't played on-ball.

7. Burton: Has looked very good in his new colours this year. Hes a consistent and reliable player who's always efficient with his ball-use, and great off both feet as well as being a great size for the modern game with plenty of athleticism to go with it. Hes always liable for a big game now and again and as he gets more experienced I think those big games will become more common. Hes always been a good intercept mark and his one-on-one defence has improved since moving to port, but I still think it leaves a little to be desired, and I'd like to see him be a little more careful around the goals as I can think of a few times where he has unnecessarily given away free kicks that have lead to goals this year. Overall I think hes one who Hawthorn will regret letting go.

8. Rioli: There's really not that much to say about Rioli as his pressure has been talked about so much. Richmond's forward line clearly suffers so much when he isn't there because of his one-percenters. Just needs to find more of the ball of the ball, and pressure forwards like him need to be more clinical in front of goals than he has been.

9. Tom Phillips: A little bit older than the most of those drafted in 2015, his running ability speaks for itself and lets him accumulate on the outside. Has been a bit down on form this year compared to last,mainly his kicking, but has still been good. His flaws are obvious, he doesn't tackle enough and he doesn't win enough of his own ball, but his running more than makes up for it and allows his to get clear from his opponent and mark the ball all over the park, which perfectly suits Collingwoods game style. He has been a great pick-up for the pies and is my pick for steal of the draft.

10. Doedee: Another young Crows defender unfairly struck down by injury. One of the best intercept marks in the competition if you ask me, who uses it very well once its in his hands, although I'd like to see him back his kicking a bit more, a little too handball-happy. He is very clean with the ball on the deck and rarely gets beaten by his opponent. Major knock obviously his injury which was a massive shame.

McGrath will end up a very damaging mid. He wants the the footy and has great skills.
65m gained yesterday suggests he isn't that damaging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is so dumb. Please do not reply to my posts in future.
So a factually correct response is dumb? And I'll reply to whatever the * I want to.

1. Oliver (standout so far)
2. Gresham (quickly closing the gap on 1st)
3. Hipwood
4. Curnow
5. Doedee
5. Phillips
6. Hopper
7. Weitering
8. Rioli
9. Dunkley
10. Milera
11. McKay
12. Himmelberg
13. Burton
14. Fiorini
15. Mills

I think the pack are closing on Oliver. Will be interesting how rated by the end of 2020, after 6 years in the system.

Yah Oliver not having a great start to the year, disposal isn’t as sharp as it should be. Having said that, coming off a dual shoulder reco and has had 29 disposals in 5/6 games so far. He’s not playing elite footy this year, but I can’t imagine he’ll be caught any time soon unless Gresham starts kicking goals regularly from midfield. For all the talk of a forward who is becoming a great mid - which he is - he’s only kicked 5 goals so far.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yah Oliver not having a great start to the year, disposal isn’t as sharp as it should be. Having said that, coming off a dual shoulder reco and has had 29 disposals in 5/6 games so far. He’s not playing elite footy this year, but I can’t imagine he’ll be caught any time soon unless Gresham starts kicking goals regularly from midfield. For all the talk of a forward who is becoming a great mid - which he is - he’s only kicked 5 goals so far.

For all intents and purposes, Oliver is still the best player from this draft imho. Should build nicely to what we know he's capable of. Others are closing but his first 2 years were phenomenal

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I wont be including Carlton plays as I am obviously biased towards them.

1. Oliver: Clear standout, not much needs to be said

2. Gresham: A type of player all supporters would love to have at their club, exciting small forward who can really effectively push through the midfield (although based on this season it might be more correct to call him a midfielder who can play small forward), really effective player who rarely wastes disposals. My favorite aspect of his is how clean he is with ground ball gets, really turns 50/50 possession into a win for his team. Main criticism is despite being a decent-to-good pressure player, id like to see him tackle more and force a stoppage .

3. Hipwood: I think its fairly obvious that Hipwood will become a top key-forward, you just have to look how he is tracking against todays best at the same age to see it, superb mobility for his size and consistently hits the scoreboard. Also his goal kicking has been much improved this year imo. Knock would be that while he is a great mark on the lead, id like to see him get another 1-2 contested marks a game, either inside 50, or down the wings.

4. Milera: I really rate this bloke, looks very classy with ball in hand and provides great run, his defense is underrated if you ask me too, with him rarely being beaten one-on-one and getting more than his fair share of tackles every week, I was really devastated to see him go down last week as he was really building. While he has shown the ability to be a great kick, and I commend the endeavor with his kicking, I would like to see him use the easier option as he too often tries the difficult kick, but it doesn't always pay off.

5. Hopper: Had a really strong 2018 season in a midfield where it is quite hard to stand out in, hes a great stoppage player who has shown a natural ability to win the ball at the coalface and then rarely waste it. He's improved his kicking a lot this year which has served him well in becoming much more damaging, with much improved inside 50 and score involvement numbers as a result. While his contested numbers are great, I think the next step he can take which will really make him elite would be providing more spread and getting some uncontested marks which will give him more opportunity to really hurt the opposition with his kicking, although this will be hard in a Giants team who have many other players doing this.

6. Mills: This is a funny one as you could definitely see him either being a top-3ish player from this draft, or an unfulfilled talent who wont crack the top 20. Mills' talent is obvious and looked an absolute monty to become one of the drafts best midfielders yet he just hasn't made that jump. He is a good HBF but I dont think Sydney drafted him with the intention for him to play out his career in that position. I think it might be best for both parties to move him on at the end of the season if he isn't played on-ball.

7. Burton: Has looked very good in his new colours this year. Hes a consistent and reliable player who's always efficient with his ball-use, and great off both feet as well as being a great size for the modern game with plenty of athleticism to go with it. Hes always liable for a big game now and again and as he gets more experienced I think those big games will become more common. Hes always been a good intercept mark and his one-on-one defence has improved since moving to port, but I still think it leaves a little to be desired, and I'd like to see him be a little more careful around the goals as I can think of a few times where he has unnecessarily given away free kicks that have lead to goals this year. Overall I think hes one who Hawthorn will regret letting go.

8. Rioli: There's really not that much to say about Rioli as his pressure has been talked about so much. Richmond's forward line clearly suffers so much when he isn't there because of his one-percenters. Just needs to find more of the ball of the ball, and pressure forwards like him need to be more clinical in front of goals than he has been.

9. Tom Phillips: A little bit older than the most of those drafted in 2015, his running ability speaks for itself and lets him accumulate on the outside. Has been a bit down on form this year compared to last,mainly his kicking, but has still been good. His flaws are obvious, he doesn't tackle enough and he doesn't win enough of his own ball, but his running more than makes up for it and allows his to get clear from his opponent and mark the ball all over the park, which perfectly suits Collingwoods game style. He has been a great pick-up for the pies and is my pick for steal of the draft.

10. Doedee: Another young Crows defender unfairly struck down by injury. One of the best intercept marks in the competition if you ask me, who uses it very well once its in his hands, although I'd like to see him back his kicking a bit more, a little too handball-happy. He is very clean with the ball on the deck and rarely gets beaten by his opponent. Major knock obviously his injury which was a massive shame.
no issue sliding Curnow in there. he's shown it. Would have him ahead of Rioli and Doedee

Decent top 10 though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back