Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

"My guy has regressed but at least he hasn't continued playing good footy"

Yeah quality response there mate.
The point was CC has regressed but EH hasn't got any better this season. It is not really something to gloat over.

If I was a Lions supporter I would have hoped to see more from Hipwood than he has delivered this year. I certainly was expecting more from Curnow

The point was CC has regressed but EH hasn't got any better this season. It is not really something to gloat over.

If I was a Lions supporter I would have hoped to see more from Hipwood than he has delivered this year. I certainly was expecting more from Curnow

Yeah look on paper he hasn't improved a great deal but when you take in to account the forward synergy we've got going on, I don't think any lions fan would be too disappointed. Our bigs are creating space and aren't going for the same marks all the time like they used. We're also playing three tall forwards now instead of two so there's more options for our mids to hit up.bquality small forwards crumbling at their feet now too helps.

He's taking contested marks now which is massive. He used to either get outbodied all the time or double grab/fumble and let his defender in. Much less of that this year.

The only issue any of us have with him is his goalkicking. Bloke misses one or two from 40m out straight in front pretty much every week. Could/should really be averaging 2.5 goals per game this year.

I mean, rewind to last year and Curnow really was clearly better. Without the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure 95% of people would have said Curnow > Hipwood. Based on this year's output, Hipwood is clearly the better player, but it wasn't so apparent last year
He’s been injured, and is currently playing injured. Hipwood isn’t “clearly the better player”...

They’re both guns, any team would be desperate to have on their list.

Pointless comparing them this season though. What a revelation. Hipwood is outperforming an injured Curnow. Ground breaking.

He’s been injured, and is currently playing injured. Hipwood isn’t “clearly the better player”...

They’re both guns, any team would be desperate to have on their list.

Pointless comparing them this season though. What a revelation. Hipwood is outperforming an injured Curnow. Ground breaking.
"Based on this year's output"

Before you get so defensive, try reading what you're replying to. Hipwood has been far better this year, regardless of whether Curnow is injured

"Based on this year's output"

Before you get so defensive, try reading what you're replying to. Hipwood has been far better this year, regardless of whether Curnow is injured

Should probably include the whole quote if you’re going to do it, and not just nit pic the parts that suit the your arguement.

“Based on this year’s output, Hipwood is clearly the better player”.

Which part of that sentence shows any sense of logic?

Comparing a injured player to a fit one and the concluding one is “clearly the better player”?

Using 9 games to conclude one is “clearly the better player”? (Even less actually, since Curnow has missed a couple).

Being a “better” player suggests that they have more talent and will apply that talent compared to whomever you’re comparing them with.

Just struggling to understand how you came to that conclusion.

And saying Hipwood has been “far better this year” is both obvious, and redundant! Of course he has, ones been injured.
By the same logic, based off this year Levi Casboult “is clearly the better player”....

I’m not being defensive. It’s just moronic.
Have nothing to be defensive about, quite happy with Carlton’s KPF stocks and I fully agree that Hipwood will be a star of the comp.

And maybe it was unfair to single you out, as there’s been several others that have been using the same stupid argument. So sorry, not really having a go at you in particular. Just making a point.

dan houston needs more love
forty-fifth overall in the 2016 rookie draft
Sneaky AA chance in the backines
Why does his draft position matter?

1 Oliver
2 Hipwood
3 Hopper
4 Milera
5 Burton
6 Curnow
7 Parish
8 Mills(Barely know who he is)
9 Weitering (Will probably become a pretty good player but takes yonks to develop the big blokes)
10 Rioli (would've been top 5 a season ago)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Oliver
2 Hipwood
3 Hopper
4 Milera
5 Burton
6 Curnow
7 Parish
8 Mills(Barely know who he is)
9 Weitering (Will probably become a pretty good player but takes yonks to develop the big blokes)
10 Rioli (would've been top 5 a season ago)

Hopper ahead of Hipwood for me. McKay edging into the top 10.

Bit of a meh draft in retrospect though it is still early days.

Where’s my Fiorini gang at
Out of sight out of mind - never even copped a rising star nomination.

Averaging 29 touches (10 contested, 19 kicks), 0.9 goal assists, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 5 inside 50's and 461m gained per game should definitely be in top 10 with this draft at the moment though. Only thing letting him down currently is his DE% which hopefully will improve when he isn't having to do most of the midfield work himself.

I have absolutely no doubt if Fiorini played for one of the big Vic clubs some would have him ahead of Oliver. Criminally underrated, will s*** in their b&f this year.

I'd have Oliver clear top then a logjam with Fiorini, Hopper, Milera, Gresham, Hipwood and Curnow.

Not making any crazy calls here but Parish played a career best game last week, hopefully things are starting to click now we seem to have found his best position.

You start getting an idea of whether someone will be a real player or a bit ‘meh’ in their 4th and 5th seasons. Usually equals out early form/development. At this stage, McKay will be a better player than Curnow and probably by a bit of a margin. Quality KPF who still kicks goals and takes marks when his team is being thrashed. A bit of Fev about his presence in the F50 this year.

Would love him or Salem from the Dees (13 draft). Good decision makers who never look panicked.
This is from a couple of years ago from someone fairly high up, "From our cold, dead, hands". At that point in time he was considered the in the top 5 most important players at the club.

Our draft isn’t looking too bad again now

Parish in his right position and the form of his career
Francis as a make shift forward has been most handy given our injuries.
Redman has been very solid and showing top shelf disposal
Tippa is our barometer.
And I never thought I’d say it, but I miss Mitch brown

Tippa is our barometer.

Can't say I agree on Brown just doesn't have the strength or athletic ability to win the ball against a competent defender. It's a pity for him as with his finishing ability and footy smarts you could see him being a very good footballer if he hadn't had so many injuries.

Must revisit this in a year or two. I have high hopes for Sier on exposed (2018) form. I think he’ll be back in this week/soon.

Also Tom Phillips has been good for us. ?? Top 20 or even 15.

Must revisit this in a year or two. I have high hopes for Sier on exposed (2018) form. I think he’ll be back in this week/soon.

Also Tom Phillips has been good for us. ?? Top 20 or even 15.
Closer to top 10. He flies under the radar a bit but he's a solid player.

Tippa is our barometer.

Parish and Francis would be value picks if they were taken at 24 and 25.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back