Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

I think us Carlton people do get a little hung-up on what JSilvagni may be able to do.
For now though, he's just doing a job, whilst working as hard as he can. Upside may yet be there and it may not.
Good on him for doing all he can, but I can't be sure he'll make for a best 22 player in years to come. We'll see.
every club gets hung up on past greats sons, I especially think it would be even greater when it is a a third gen.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If Silvagni’s name was Jack Smith no one would bat an eye.

Has similar stats this season to Sam Weidaman playing in a worse side. I’m not going to act like he has half the talent of Weidaman or will become a better player, but for a pick 60 odd he’s tracking relatively well. Tackles hard and wills the ball forward. There’s a place for him long term if he can build a bigger tank and find an extra goal and 3-4 touches a game.

Would prefer if SOS stayed away from decisions around Jack mind you.

Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
so your happy to have players in your team that hardly touch the ball and kick very few goaks as long as they have hussle?

Or do they also have to be a past greats son?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
I saw what he could do against the dogs, if he could do that on a week by week basis, he'd be best 22 at a few clubs. He's stuck in AFL/VFL purgatory tbh.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
He has uber talent, 203cm KPF runs like the wind, elite contested mark and good skills to go with it, it’s a pretty rare combo, there was talk that if he was two weeks younger he could of potentially gone top 3 in the 2016 draft.
He is going to be a knightmare of a match up in a few seasons.

Would like to see Ben played as a forward, he isn’t as highly skilled as Harry, but he can crash packs and would work well in a forward line with Ben Brown.

This is the hard part. Do you go with guys on what they have done (like Oliver) or with guys who are tracking as top 5 of their draft class?

Right now, on this year H.McKay is probably top 10 but a handful of good > very good games he won’t make the top 10 imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the hard part. Do you go with guys on what they have done (like Oliver) or with guys who are tracking as top 5 of their draft class?

Right now, on this year H.McKay is probably top 10 but a handful of good > very good games he won’t make the top 10 imho

I like to look at it like this: knowing what I now know about these players... If I had a time machine and could go back to the draft night, how would I rank them on who will have the best career?

3.5 years in, career projections are still based heavily on guesswork of how these players will turn out. But we're a lot more informed than we were back in 2015.

If Silvagni’s name was Jack Smith no one would bat an eye.

Has similar stats this season to Sam Weidaman playing in a worse side. I’m not going to act like he has half the talent of Weidaman or will become a better player, but for a pick 60 odd he’s tracking relatively well. Tackles hard and wills the ball forward. There’s a place for him long term if he can build a bigger tank and find an extra goal and 3-4 touches a game.

Would prefer if SOS stayed away from decisions around Jack mind you.
Weideman and Curnow have very similar stats too

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weideman is way out of the best 22 in Melbourne's terribly underperforming forward line and Curnow is waaaayyy down on form. Wouldn't read much in to either of those comparisons tbh.
I guess you haven’t watched last two Melbourne games. Weideman has been has played and been our best key forward in an very much underperforming forward line.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting my post about Carltons post first-round draft failures got deleted :think:
Yeah. Just as interesting...my reply about Essendons diabolical post first-round failures also got deleted. Possibly because I mentioned every year since 2015...which was horrible reading for Essendon fans (but great for the rest of us!).

I’ll keep it to this 2015 draft to stay on topic.

Essendon

Pick 29 – Alex Morgan. 0 games. DELISTED

Pick 30 – Mason Redman. 11 games

Pick 54 – Mitch Brown MATURE AGE RECRUIT. Now 28 y. o. Would not get a game in any other team.

Pick 64 – Yestin Eades. 0 games. DELISTED.

Pick 68 – Michael Hartley. MATURE AGE RECRUIT. Now 26 y.o.

ROOKIES
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti GREAT PLAYER

Gach Nyuon 0 games

Tom Wallis DELISTED

So of the five 18 y.o’s drafted after the first round by Dodo only one has played a game - Redman. Three have been delisted without playing a game.

Francis dropped again.. looking like a bust as a pick 6.

People in glass houses..

Last edited:

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Yeah. Just as interesting...my reply about Essendons diabolical post first-round failures also got deleted. Possibly because I mentioned every year since 2015...which was horrible reading for Essendon fans (but great for the rest of us!).

I’ll keep it to this 2015 draft to stay on topic.

Essendon

Pick 29 – Alex Morgan. 0 games. DELISTED

Pick 30 – Mason Redman. 11 games

Pick 54 – Mitch Brown MATURE AGE RECRUIT. Now 28 y. o. Would not get a game in any other team.

Pick 64 – Yestin Eades. 0 games. DELISTED.

Pick 68 – Michael Hartley. MATURE AGE RECRUIT. Now 26 y.o.

ROOKIES
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti GREAT PLAYER

Gach Nyuon 0 games

Tom Wallis DELISTED

So of the five 18 y.o’s drafted after the first round by Dodo only one has played a game - Redman. Three have been delisted without playing a game.

Francis dropped again.. looking like a bust as a pick 6.

People in glass houses..

Odd post. 3 of those picks I’d consider a success which would be a standard success rate. Redman building nicely, Brown has been great for our structure when he’s been healthy and Walla has been Walla. Carlton had that many successful picks from 12-17.

Parish looking alright now too eh Drakey??

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Odd post. 3 of those picks I’d consider a success which would be a standard success rate. Redman building nicely, Brown has been great for our structure when he’s been healthy and Walla has been Walla. Carlton had that many successful picks from 12-17.

Parish looking alright now too eh Drakey??

Strange response. YOU posted about SOS’ poor selections post the first round. I replied with Dodo’s post first round selections.

To repeat...Essendons late drafting selections in 2015 were abysmal.

Brown not good enough to play in any other team. No problems agreeing that Walla is a good player. Both were mature age though weren’t they?

Of the five 18 year olds drafted only Redman has played AFL, three have been DELISTED and the other is a project player who has not worked.

Diabolical in anyone’s language.

Brown not good enough to play in any other team. No problems agreeing that Walla is a good player. Both were mature age though weren’t they?

Of the five 18 year olds drafted only Redman has played AFL, three have been DELISTED and the other is a project player who has not worked.

Could be worse, SOS could have passed on the bid and we could have ended up with an utter donut like Jack Silvagni.

Diabolical is Carlton's middle name.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

Solid troll. I’m not biting this time Drakey

Back