Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Revisiting the 2015 draft, here would be my top 10:

1. Clayton Oliver - A beacon of consistency, ball magnet, hard at it. He has been the best player of this draft for a number of seasons.
2. Josh Dunkley - A steal at pick 25. Was AA contention before his injury this year (and playing better footy than Bont at the time)
3. Harry McKay - Starting to flourish now. Probably a top 3 key forward in the comp right now.
4. Jacob Weitering - A gun back. Carlton wouldn't be unhappy about taking him at pick 1.
5. Darcy Parish - Breaking out this year. Huge possession getter and will be the number 1 mid at Essendon by years end.
6. Tom Doedee - Future captain. Huge upside.
7. Callum Mills - Starting to show his midfield prowess.
8. Jade Gresham - X factor player
9. Ben Keays - Also starting to flourish as a midfielder at Adelaide
10. Matt Flynn - early days but I see this guy being the best ruckman in the comp in a few years.

11-15 - Charlie Curnow, Wayne Milera, Bailey Williams, Jordan Dawson and Sam Menegola.

1. Clayton Oliver - A beacon of consistency, ball magnet, hard at it. He has been the best player of this draft for a number of seasons.
2. Josh Dunkley - A steal at pick 25. Was AA contention before his injury this year (and playing better footy than Bont at the time)
3. Harry McKay - Starting to flourish now. Probably a top 3 key forward in the comp right now.
4. Jacob Weitering - A gun back. Carlton wouldn't be unhappy about taking him at pick 1.
5. Darcy Parish - Breaking out this year. Huge possession getter and will be the number 1 mid at Essendon by years end.
10. Matt Flynn - early days but I see this guy being the best ruckman in the comp in a few years.

11-15 - Charlie Curnow, Wayne Milera, Bailey Williams, Jordan Dawson and Sam Menegola.

Some big misses - B McKay, Papley, Houston, Tippa, Hipwood, Redman, Broad.

good list
i'd drop Flynn down on output to date, but he looks quality. so if based on potential, i like it.

Keays & Parish have really shot up this year.

McKay and Weitering are easily above Dunkley. If the draft was redone, Oliver, McKay and Weitering would be the first 3 in that order.

Parish should be above Dunkley by the end of the year too. A good brownlow chance and should be in the AA team.

Some big misses - B McKay, Papley, Houston, Tippa, Hipwood, Redman, Broad.

Apart from Papley I don't think any of those are in the top 15 right now. Tippa close but can go missing for long stretches in games. Admittedly Papley is a miss by me. I'd have him ahead of a few.

McKay and Weitering are easily above Dunkley. If the draft was redone, Oliver, McKay and Weitering would be the first 3 in that order.

Parish should be above Dunkley by the end of the year too. A good brownlow chance and should be in the AA team.

Yeah tend to agree with you on the first part but Dunkley had an elite season in 2019 and was looking back to that in rounds 1-6 this year, and Parish only just broke out. Think it depends on what you want but Weiters/McKay could be ahead of Dunks based on what they're producing this year.

Yeah tend to agree with you on the first part but Dunkley had an elite season in 2019 and was looking back to that in rounds 1-6 this year, and Parish only just broke out. Think it depends on what you want but Weiters/McKay could be ahead of Dunks based on what they're producing this year.
I wouldn't say Parish is ahead now, but he will be at the end of the year if his form continues. He's currently top 3 in the brownlow predictor and definitely AA at the moment so that's pretty hard to look past.

Dunkley was tracking to be one of the best mids in the competition so it's unfortunate that he copped a lengthy injury.

Apart from Papley I don't think any of those are in the top 15 right now. Tippa close but can go missing for long stretches in games. Admittedly Papley is a miss by me. I'd have him ahead of a few.
Harsh on Hipwood. On career so far he is I think the second highest goal scorer behind Papley (167-160) and well ahead of any other key forwards here. Especially with none of them quite hitting KPF prime age yet. I understand that McKay as a player right now, but he is at least ahead of Curnow as a forward. Personally would have him ahead of guys like Flynn, Keays, Milera and probably Williams

Parish needs to do it for another 12 months before he just jumps all the players who have been better for much longer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunkley hasn't done it for long himself, which is why I said Parish will be above him by the end of the year if Parish continues his form.
He has still done it for longer than 9-10 weeks. Dunkleys form for 1/2 - 3/4 of 2019 was on par with what Parish is doing now

Not discrediting Dunkley and what he is capable of, but it is worth noting the calibre of players around him that make his job a bit easier than Parish has around him.

Still reckon Parish has a bit of Tom Mitchell about him atm, gets plenty of the ball and racks up stats but definitely not as damaging with his disposal as others. Same happened with Neale and Titch before they had their brownlow years where they notably aimed to be more impactful per disposal. Very good player for sure but wouldnt have him above Dunkley or Oliver for mids in this draft just atm. They provide a bit more bang for their buck imo

Still reckon Parish has a bit of Tom Mitchell about him atm, gets plenty of the ball and racks up stats but definitely not as damaging with his disposal as others. Same happened with Neale and Titch before they had their brownlow years where they notably aimed to be more impactful per disposal. Very good player for sure but wouldnt have him above Dunkley or Oliver for mids in this draft just atm. They provide a bit more bang for their buck imo
Not sure what you base that on except that it is the easiest knock on any player that gets a lot of the ball. Parish ranks very high among mids in all those areas that might indicate effective use of his disposals. Metres gained, score involvements, inside 50s, disposal efficiency. Mitchell for instance is nowhere to be seen in any of these stats.

Last edited:
Parish is 5th in the league for goal assists per game, 7th in the league for inside 50's per game and 10th in the league for score involvements per game. He ranks higher than Dunkley in all of those categories this year, and higher than Oliver in goal assists and score involvements.

The only reasons Oliver and Dunkley are clearly ahead of Parish in this draft is that they've been playing elite football for 4 and 2 years already.

Not sure what you base that on except that it is the easiest knock on any player that gets a lot of the ball. Parish ranks very high among mids in all those areas that might indicate effective use of his disposals. Metres gained, score involvements, inside 50s, disposal efficiency. Mitchell for instance is nowhere to be seen in any of these stats.
Mitchell was elite in all those areas in 2018 and he still had the reputation, it is what it is. Accumulators in the AFL will always have detractors

Mitchell, Macrae and probably Parish. Like you said it is an easy way to knock them.

Parish is 5th in the league for goal assists per game, 7th in the league for inside 50's per game and 10th in the league for score involvements per game. He ranks higher than Dunkley in all of those categories this year, and higher than Oliver in goal assists and score involvements.

The only reasons Oliver and Dunkley are clearly ahead of Parish in this draft is that they've been playing elite football for 4 and 2 years already.
Apparently it doesn't matter that Dunks has missed half this season thanks to his injury.

Brayden Ham rates higher than Leigh Matthews in every single metric this year, therefore he is the GOAT.

Apparently it doesn't matter that Dunks has missed half this season thanks to his injury.

Brayden Ham rates higher than Leigh Matthews in every single metric this year, therefore he is the GOAT.
For all 3 of those stats he said “per game”, so it doesn’t matter that Dunkley has played less games. As they are averages, and that’s the whole point of averages, to allow you to compare those who have played a different number of games to each other.

How do averages work?

Oliver has been elite for 5 years not 4

And tbf Parish has been exceptionally good this year but Oliver has still been better

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Oliver also clearly ahead because he is having a better season this year. He’s leading coaches votes and second in line for Brownlow betting. Not doubting Parish has had a great season over last 10 weeks give or take but Oliver has been doing it for a while. 2 x best and fairest and AA already.

Not damaging with his disposals despite leading the league for goal assists, 6th for score involvements, 8th for score launches.

Okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back