Test Rugby 2015 Rugby World Cup Final: New Zealand v Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love Australia to win but can't see New Zealand getting beat, though I'm far from an expert. Hope not decided on penalties and a good open game. :)

I'm stoked as * for this but I just can't help but believe NZ will win. When they're focused, inspired and playing for keeps, they're just so difficult to beat.

Pocock will be targeted heavily as he was in NZ for the Bledisloe decider and a fit Folau and Sio would be very helpful but both are looking unlikely to be so.

The All Blacks have only looked really impressive in 1 game this tournament, I think overall we've been better. A few of their key players are a bit long in the tooth (Carter, McCaw, Nonu, Conrad Smith, Woodcock), and while those guys have all been reasonably good in this tournament it often just takes one game for a player to suddenly be old. I think the Wallabies definitely have a decent chance! We don't quite have the same class from 1 to 15, but more of our players are in their primes. It really will just come down to who plays better on the day and who gets a bit of luck in crucial periods.

I'd be surprised if it's not close either way.

Nonu is still a beast at his age and McCaw is also still playing quality rugby. Carter pulled out some class against the Boks at necessary times but he's definitely nowhere near the force he used to be. He's lost a step for sure.

It's down to the battle up front for me. When the AB's are in the zone and amped up, their pack simply obliterates the opposition pack. For intensity, physicality and athleticism. We simply have to break even there or it won't happen. Pocock needs to play well notwithstanding the relentless pressure he'll be under, our pack needs to win our own ball and challenge opposition feeds in the scrum and Hooper needs to be a missile all over the field. If they happen and we get solid physical play from Fardy and Douglas in tight (they've both had wonderful campaigns btw) then we're a shot. A decent shot.

Foley has to nail his kicking and Kuridrani I think will be targeted heavily as a perceived weak link of the backline.

Advantage All Blacks.

That's the early conclusion in the build up to the Rugby World Cup final after Steve Hansen got his wish and more at Twickenham on Monday.

The All Blacks coach wanted Australia and Argentina to "bash each other to bits" in their semifinal and they did just that during a pulsating foot race, won 29-15 by the Wallabies.

yeah, nah

Mental images of ARU chief Bill Pulver taking a bag filled with $300,000 of hard-earned down to the local TAB are fascinating, but the process is far more boring.
The ARU engages an insurance firm to broker the hedge bet with a bookmaker.
It is classified as an insurance cost because theoretically, they are not taking on risk of losing $300,000, but rather covering the risk of paying out $3.3 million.
And they’re not the only ones. England, Ireland and a host of others place similar bets with bookies to cover themselves for the World Cup bonuses.
Cashed-up northern hemisphere sides offer their players even more than the Wallabies and bet accordingly.

Maybe read the article next time

yeah, nah

Maybe read the article next time

I completely read it. I was being a little sarcastic. They are allowed to GAMBLE/HEDGE due to insurance issues. Not sure that's how you should deal with it though.

Owens confirmed as ref for final.

Welsh referee Nigel Owens has been confirmed to whistle the Rugby World Cup final between New Zealand and Australia.

The All Blacks will be comfortable with this appointment for the title match at Twickenham in London. They are well-versed with Owens' methods and he was in charge of their 62-13 quarter-final demolition of France.

He also controlled the last match between the All Blacks and Wallabies, with New Zealand winning the Bledisloe Cup decider at Eden Park in August.

The TV audience in Australia will be the biggest to watch a football code game in Australia this year. Probably bigger than the AFL and the NRL Grand Finals put together.
Worldwide i would guess about 30 million people will watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The TV audience in Australia will be the biggest to watch a football code game in Australia this year. Probably bigger than the AFL and the NRL Grand Finals put together.
Worldwide i would guess about 30 million people will watch.

Not a chance given it'll be on at 3am.

Probably about right for the worldwide prediction.

Not a chance given it'll be on at 3am.

A kiwi mentioned the other day that it was pathetic that the game was being played at a ridiculous time for Oz and NZ audiences but the same wasnt the case for the last RWC in NZ. If true its a pretty decent point.

Particularly considering there have been games played at 8pm at Twickenham in this RWC.

A kiwi mentioned the other day that it was pathetic that the game was being played at a ridiculous time for Oz and NZ audiences but the same wasnt the case for the last RWC in NZ. If true its a pretty decent point.

Particularly considering there have been games played at 8pm at Twickenham in this RWC.
I think the Final has being intentionally scheduled to clash with Saturday Premier League fixtures. Just like the ENGvURG Old Trafford game clashed with the Rugby League Final.

Pathetic really.

It won't be getting a grand final audience with a 3am AEDT kick off.

Why it's 4pm local time instead of 8pm is mind-boggling. World Rugby have cost themselves millions of viewers on both sides of the world.

I've lived over in the UK and the big sports events on Saturday's are usually played in the afternoon. It's not the same as here. At this time of year over there it gets dark at 4:30-5ish so everyone's indoors anyway. I'm sure it's been scheduled when the European broadcasters wanted it scheduled. Does seem a little strange though. The only other possible explanation I can think of is it might be to do with some sort of agreement with the Twickenham council/residents.

Last edited:
The only other possible explanation I can think of is it might be to do with some sort of agreement with the Twickenham council/residents.

Yet there were a couple IIRC of 8pm games at Twickenham.

I have been to the Wales and Scotland games out there. What I cant get over was the lack of extra trains put on. Madness (particularly as on Sundays there is a limited train service) . Even worse apparently was a game at Cardiff where people supposedly queued for 3 hours to get on a train back to London.

Pretty basic stuff.

I've lived over in the UK and the big sports events on Saturday's are usually played in the afternoon..

Football / soccer kicks off at 3, you would think given the light they would do it earlier.

ITV who are the host broadcaster decided the kickoff would be a 4pm start since they didn't have to go up against a LIVE Premier League match until 5.30pm so they would have the afternoon window to themselves as Sport is blacked out between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on Saturdays in the UK and they had an exemption from the blackout.

The other factor was the RFU knowing that a late kickoff such as 8pm is a nightmare with Twickenham Station, so wanted to leave enough time for people to depart the area after the game by the time the trains finish for the night.

ITV who are the host broadcaster decided the kickoff would be a 4pm start since they didn't have to go up against a LIVE Premier League match until 5.30pm so they would have the afternoon window to themselves as Sport is blacked out between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on Saturdays in the UK and they had an exemption from the blackout.

The other factor was the RFU knowing that a late kickoff such as 8pm is a nightmare with Twickenham Station, so wanted to leave enough time for people to depart the area after the game by the time the trains finish for the night.

There's no blackout on sports between those times. Premiership Rugby airs a game between those hours most weeks. There is a FA/SFA blackout on football.

5.30pm is the late Premier League kick off so it was about not clashing 8pm would have worked fine.

But if it's true the RFU are scheduling this rather than World Rugby it makes sense... English rugby has an unfortunate tendency to think it's better than everyone else and doesn't need to do things the way 'soccer' does.

There is no 5.30 game in the EPL this week. The organisers have ballsed it up big time! Man C, Man U & Arsenal games all at 3pm and Chelsea v Liverpool at 12.45. No idea why they wanted to go against them

The ordinary Aussie sport lover would watch the final if it was on at 6am but only rugby enthusiasts will watch it. Even in NZ instead of literally 100% of the nation watching a 7am or 8am game I'd say 1/4 won't get up at 4am for it.

The TV blackout is only for domestic sport I thought

There's no blackout on sports between those times. Premiership Rugby airs a game between those hours most weeks. There is a FA/SFA blackout on football.

My mistake, I was under the understanding it was for all sports not just Football.

5.30pm is the late Premier League kick off so it was about not clashing 8pm would have worked fine.

Well there is no Premier League coverage on BT or Sky until 8pm and that is only a replay of the 3pm Kickoff so the Rugby it seems has a free run on Saturday

But if it's true the RFU are scheduling this rather than World Rugby it makes sense... English rugby has an unfortunate tendency to think it's better than everyone else and doesn't need to do things the way 'soccer' does.

Normal Kickoff Times for matches at Twickenham

2015 European Rugby Champion Cup Final - Kickoff 5pm BST
2015 Aviva English Premiership Final - Kickoff 4.30pm BST
2015 Christmas Holiday Big Game - Kickoff 4.30pm BST
2015 London Double Header - Kickoffs - 3.15pm BST and 5.30 BST
2015 Home Six Nations Matches - 1x2.30pm BST and 2x5PM BST

So of course the RFU and ITV don't know what they are doing, they are just going with the normal timeslot for them. As for doing things the way "Soccer" does them I'm sure they really care about that or the fact "Soccer" has a history of midweek matches at night. But you seem to know better:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back