2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Same question is ask this time every year about Sandy Creek oval? I wonder how it will cope after all this rain? Plenty of footy to played out there.. Gee the first weekend is a cracker. It's going to be tough to beat Kiewa .
Wodonga Saints seem very positive about landing a coach and a handful of players. It's a brave face but if the committee believe than who ever takes the job will have backing. Maybe give it another year and see what happens.

Same question is ask this time every year about Sandy Creek oval? I wonder how it will cope after all this rain? Plenty of footy to played out there.. Gee the first weekend is a cracker. It's going to be tough to beat Kiewa .
Wodonga Saints seem very positive about landing a coach and a handful of players. It's a brave face but if the committee believe than who ever takes the job will have backing. Maybe give it another year and see what happens.
Have heard off a couple of good sources that the Wodonga Saints are having a total committee change over, which I don't think is too bad of an option for the club, surely the guys who have put in so much hard work for not much reward would be getting burnt out.

I, like everyone else hope that no matter what they decide to do, change committee, change competition, stay in town....
I just hope that it works out for them.

Good luck to all clubs competing in the finals series this year, it looks to be Kiewa's to lose, but either way it's going to be a ripper finals series.

I honestly thought that Thurgoona had some chance of challenging Kiewa in a GF if all things went right. I also thought that they were the best team outside of kiewa in the finals. I didnt see the game on Saturday. Tallangatta must have played well so good on them, and I have been told that Chiltern were pretty impressive on Sunday. Does anyone give Thurgoona a chance to make it from here? I have thought all yr that they have a good list. Are they carrying too many mental scars from previous finals exits or is it something else? It will be interesting to see how Tallangatta go vs Kiewa. Hope both games are good ones!

I honestly thought that Thurgoona had some chance of challenging Kiewa in a GF if all things went right. I also thought that they were the best team outside of kiewa in the finals. I didnt see the game on Saturday. Tallangatta must have played well so good on them, and I have been told that Chiltern were pretty impressive on Sunday. Does anyone give Thurgoona a chance to make it from here? I have thought all yr that they have a good list. Are they carrying too many mental scars from previous finals exits or is it something else? It will be interesting to see how Tallangatta go vs Kiewa. Hope both games are good ones!

I thought that Thurgoona would win too but it's worth going to watch them just to see them disintegrate again.

I thought that Thurgoona would win too but it's worth going to watch them just to see them disintegrate again.

Thurgoona have their heads up there arse and always have , hense no success, Great team on paper but when the crunch comes they find it hard to pull their head out of it.

After reading through the last couple of posts about Thurgoona in finals matches it got me wondering what Thurgoona's record in finals looks like compared to other teams.

Not great it turns out.

I decided to do a bit of an analysis looking at finals played from 2008 onwards (from when TDFL became a 12 team comp after Wahgunyah's admission) and from the table below we can see that out of all the teams that have played finals Thurgoona's record is the second worst, above only Wahgunyah who are currently 0 from 2 matches played.

(Team, Finals Played, Won, Lost, Win%)
Tallangatta 5 4-1 80%
Beechworth 6 4-2 67%
Barnawartha 11 7-4 64%
KSC 14 8-6 57%
Mitta United 16 9-7 56%
Yackandandah 6 3-3 50%
Dederang-MtB 6 2-4 33%
Chiltern 3 1-2 33%
Rutherglen 3 1-2 33%
Thurgoona 16 5-11 31%
Wahgunyah 2 0-2 0%
Wodonga Saints 0 0-0 NA%

A couple of interesting stats that I also came across when preparing this:
  • Chilterns score of 137 on the weekend is the second highest team score of any final over the previous 8 years (behind only Thurgoona's 138 against Mitta in the 2011 SF)
  • Two of the three heaviest defeats have come at the expense of Mitta (80 pts v Kiewa 2008 & 65 pts v Thurg 2011) which is surprising given their finals record.
For what its worth, my predictions for this weekends matches are Kiewa by 10 goals and Chiltern by 15 pts.

After reading through the last couple of posts about Thurgoona in finals matches it got me wondering what Thurgoona's record in finals looks like compared to other teams.

Not great it turns out.

I decided to do a bit of an analysis looking at finals played from 2008 onwards (from when TDFL became a 12 team comp after Wahgunyah's admission) and from the table below we can see that out of all the teams that have played finals Thurgoona's record is the second worst, above only Wahgunyah who are currently 0 from 2 matches played.

Tallangatta 5 4-1 80%
Beechworth 6 4-2 67%
Barnawartha 11 7-4 64%
KSC 14 8-6 57%
Mitta United 16 9-7 56%
Yackandandah 6 3-3 50%
Dederang-MtB 6 2-4 33%
Chiltern 3 1-2 33%
Rutherglen 3 1-2 33%
Thurgoona 16 5-11 31%
Wahgunyah 2 0-2 0%
Wodonga Saints 0 0-0 NA%

• Chilterns score of 137 on the weekend is the second highest team score of any final over the previous 8 years (behind only Thurgoona's 138 against Mitta in the 2011 SF)
  • Two of the three heaviest defeats have come at the expense of Mitta (80 pts v Kiewa 2008 & 65 pts v Thurg 2011) which is surprising given their finals record.
For what its worth, my predictions for this weekends matches are Kiewa by 10 goals and Chiltern by 15 pts.
Does anyone give it any merit about the different ground sizes ?
They play on their postage stamp of a ground all year and there record during the home and away over the last period of time has been better than most, and then have to play all finals at sandy creek, which they have the record that you just stated....

Am I the only one that thinks the ground sizes could be a factor ?

Does anyone give it any merit about the different ground sizes ?
They play on their postage stamp of a ground all year and there record during the home and away over the last period of time has been better than most, and then have to play all finals at sandy creek, which they have the record that you just stated....

Am I the only one that thinks the ground sizes could be a factor ?

Spot on !!!

Not great it turns out.

Tallangatta 5 4-1 80%
Beechworth 6 4-2 67%
Barnawartha 11 7-4 64%
KSC 14 8-6 57%
Mitta United 16 9-7 56%
Yackandandah 6 3-3 50%
Dederang-MtB 6 2-4 33%
Chiltern 3 1-2 33%
Rutherglen 3 1-2 33%
Thurgoona 16 5-11 31%
Wahgunyah 2 0-2 0%
Wodonga Saints 0 0-0 NA%

It's worth a lot seeing you went to all that effort. Good homework.

Wow.... I'm sure I am as shocked as anyone.
Tallangatta knocking off Keiwa to win thier way into the grand final. Wow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like it would have been a ripping game to watch. Back to the drawing board for Thurgoona and with points system coming in next year will make their job even harder

how much will Thurgoona spend next year to cough up a double chance and go out in straight sets?

Maybe go to there AGM & find out as they open there books every year for people to see.
In fairness to them, they only finished 2nd by results falling there way, & were actually lucky to make finals.

Was a great game to watch, will be a lot of sore boys today. I'm hoping chiltern get up this weekend

Not great it turns out.

Tallangatta 5 4-1 80%
Beechworth 6 4-2 67%
Barnawartha 11 7-4 64%
KSC 14 8-6 57%
Mitta United 16 9-7 56%
Yackandandah 6 3-3 50%
Dederang-MtB 6 2-4 33%
Chiltern 3 1-2 33%
Rutherglen 3 1-2 33%
Thurgoona 16 5-11 31%
Wahgunyah 2 0-2 0%
Wodonga Saints 0 0-0 NA%

----------

Great research nokicks, you must be a journo, (or an ex-journo !!).
Throws up an interesting question;
Would you rather be a club that doesn't make finals very often, and have a good finals record, or one that makes finals every year, with a not so good record.
e.g prefer to be Thurgoona or Dederang/Yack/Chiltern/Rutherglen ?

Maybe go to there AGM & find out as they open there books every year for people to see.
In fairness to them, they only finished 2nd by results falling there way, & were actually lucky to make finals.

Was a great game to watch, will be a lot of sore boys today. I'm hoping chiltern get up this weekend

Weekends results were very interesting and makes for a cracking Prelim, KSC under pressure for the first time in 2 years and Chiltern kicking massive scores in first two weeks of finals should be up and about. Who wins it?

Not great it turns out.

Tallangatta 5 4-1 80%
Beechworth 6 4-2 67%
Barnawartha 11 7-4 64%
KSC 14 8-6 57%
Mitta United 16 9-7 56%
Yackandandah 6 3-3 50%
Dederang-MtB 6 2-4 33%
Chiltern 3 1-2 33%
Rutherglen 3 1-2 33%
Thurgoona 16 5-11 31%
Wahgunyah 2 0-2 0%
Wodonga Saints 0 0-0 NA%

bear in mind Thurgoona had only won their first ever final in 2007.

And the relevance of that is?
all i am saying is that from where they are coming from to play 18 finals since 07 is a fair effort considering they hadn't even won a final until 07. im not defending their record as they should have at least 1 if not 2 flags in the bank by now (some poor decisions have resulted in this) but i am trying to add some perspective.

Very strong word around that Simon Hillier is coaching the mountain men next season, has a handful of guys going with him from Henty, as well as Ryan Cannon, Sam Goroupic and another one from Bulldogs.

Heard Peter Cook was to coach corryong next year!
Have heard Mcallister from Osbourne, Deery and lezius from cudgewa linked to the saints.
Whoever does take on the saints job it well be a tough task.
Chiltern to win on Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back