Toast 2015 Super Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Kent Brockman

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
People often talk about 2004 being Hawthorn's Super Draft (Franklin, Roughie and Lewis), and whilst I might be a little biased, I think we've done the same thing with this year's crop. Serious props to our recruiters:
  • Josh Schache: Plays beyond his years. Has the ridiculously hard task of playing as the #1 forward for the league's worst club but still manages to make a contest. Has to fix his composure but he has another 15 years at our footy club to sort that out.
  • Eric Hipwood: Just wow... He has only played a few games but looks so athletic and composed. It seems like Schache gets all the hype but Hipwood genuinely has the potential to be as good, if not better.
  • Ben Keays: Didn't play today, but god damn this kid is a jet. His effort is second to none and you just get the feeling he will be a future club captain.
  • Rhys Mathieson: How did he slide so far? He obviously has to work on his fitness but this kid is a bull and already puts a lot of our senior mids to shame.
  • Reuben William: I think a lot of us underestimated this guy... he didn't look out of place at all tonight! If we can develop him properly he could be our J.J or Zac Williams.
To top it all off, we got Sam Skinner who is an unknown at this stage, but fingers crossed.

Things are never as good or as bad as they seem and with ripping young talent like this, I think we've got a lot to be excited about in the mid-long term future.

Great thread, I must admit I am blown away by Schache and Hipwood. We have 2 genuine superstars in the making there. We need to recruit some outside speed and skill at this draft to complement the beast and Keaysy. These 2 have flaws in their game when it comes to speed and penetration by foot. Their commitment to the contest and competitive instincts needs to be surrounded by outside class.

Great thread, I must admit I am blown away by Schache and Hipwood. We have 2 genuine superstars in the making there. We need to recruit some outside speed and skill at this draft to complement the beast and Keaysy. These 2 have flaws in their game when it comes to speed and penetration by foot. Their commitment to the contest and competitive instincts needs to be surrounded by outside class.

McGluggage/Petrevski-Seton/McGrath- 1 of these 3 with our first pick. 2 of the 3 with a PP and all 3 if we can trade up the draft would equal another super draft.:)

Hipwood will be the most dynamic and exciting player to come from the 2015 draft. I thought he would be either a star or a complete spud and so far the early signs are telling me he can be amazing. Schache and Keays go alright as well. Skinner I have high hopes for and he was rated the best in the Vic Country U16 championship side ahead of Weitering. Has high potential and hopefully he can get his body right. The spine will rival the Suns and Giants IMO.

Hipwood will be the most dynamic and exciting player to come from the 2015 draft. I thought he would be either a star or a complete spud and so far the early signs are telling me he can be amazing. Schache and Keays go alright as well. Skinner I have high hopes for and he was rated the best in the Vic Country U16 championship side ahead of Weitering. Has high potential and hopefully he can get his body right. The spine will rival the Suns and Giants IMO.
He's tall but he's skinnier than a 12 yr old boy.

I think when Leppa was laughing on the TV coverage it's because he managed to outbody May in a marking contest.

TV coverage didn't show how good that was, Hipwood summed up the ball drop as it fell and had May on toast. Just awesome to watch.

When an 18 year old plays at AFL level it's because they've got the tools to overcome the disadvantage of their younger bodies. Harris showed it last year, Eric this year.

Honestly couldn't think lightning could srike twice but I'm sold on hipwood already.

Hipwood has really surprised me. An absolute jet. If we can stay the course with these kids for the next 2-3 years, we are going to have a hell of a spine.

Andrews
McStay
Shache
Hipwood.

+ Freeman, Gardiner, Paparone, Hammelman, Close and Walker as KP depth, and unknowns in Skinner and Smith. In all reality, that is as good young KP talent as there is in the league.

Unfortunately we might struggle in the meantime, but I think next year will be about giving these kids experience and sharpening up our midfield. Think we might see some trades this off-season in that area.

Sam Skinner hasn't been mentioned in thus thread. I know he hasn't played yet but at the Victorian function before the Bulldogs game Craig Lambert said he was going to be a 'very good player' correct me if I'm wrong but Lambert doesn't seem the type to jyst say something like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great thread,
I remember a few weeks ago, in a leppa presser, he mentioned history tells us that the most a 1st year key forward has kicked is around the 10 goals in a season.

Eel and shack are nearly there. Establishing a end to end spine and building around that.

For me personally, I see "principal" skinner as having just as much upside as anyone. When he's ready I'm sure he will get a game before the seasons out.

This club owes me nothing, some of the happiest days of my life have been watching the boys do their best.

Building in the previous years has been majorly effected by the GWS/ GC compromised drafts, loss of young players Etc.

The difference this time, I feel it is the right path. We are in a Cold War battle to build depth and a top quality Outfit competing against teams with numerous first rounders. While being at the bottom of all stats including: caps, staff, facilities, being a frontier club and the kitchen sink.

Rome wasn't built in a day and nothing is guaranteed but a glimmer of hope is definitely there for the future.

Great thread. Looking at some positives is important to keep everyone's spirits up. There are plenty of other threads filled with woe so threads like this are a breath of fresh air.

I think what we have is an opportunity over the course of several drafts to build the core of a team that can get to the top. We have to obviously accept that it takes time but I have always believed that some of the greatest satisfaction comes from being a supporter at the lowest point and then riding to the top with the team. And it is going to happen.

It starts small - just a few encouraging signs from a player here and there. Then a breakout game, often out of the blue. Then gradual consistency starts to develop and the player becomes a more reliable contributor. Then that player is the matchwinner once or twice. Then they become just accepted as a player for other teams to fear. Expand that out to all of our young players over the next few years and it should be quite a ride. THAT is the journey to savour.

So savour every moment of these young players. Enjoy that fact that you can remember that Rueben William's first moment in AFL footy was to tackle Ablett and win himself a free kick. Enjoy that fact that you were there when a skinny Hipwood got four goals in his third game. Enjoy remembering when you saw Beastmode at the start of his career. On their own each moment doesn't mean very much...but over time it is seeing these little things and watching the players grow and develop that makes the journey satisfying.

Right now, we are seeing so little because they are so young and so inexperienced. But even the bit we are seeing should give hope. In the meantime, there will be all the usual coaching and financial and organisational and facilities and trade dramas that have seemed to beset us this last decade. But through all of that drama and chaos and despair, slowly but surely, will start to emerge a very good group of players.

This group of players might be the ones, half a decade from now and still yet to peak, that other clubs are envious of.

A decade from now they might be the nucleus of a champion team.

Great thread,
I remember a few weeks ago, in a leppa presser, he mentioned history tells us that the most a 1st year key forward has kicked is around the 10 goals in a season

Cameron had 29 in his first season. You could argue that he had a year in an afl system for a year before I guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back