List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, but as soon as we finish 2nd we are on one way path down. So we need to make hay while the sun shines. Keep the squad and add elite talent if possible, which is not Mitch Brown.
There's always been a need for role players in the Hawthorn squad. Consider Mitch Brown a Spangher/Simpkin type. You don't want to have to rely on them but you'll be glad they're there if we suffer an injury and need an experienced body to come in. If Frawley did a knee in the pre-season (knock on wood) and was out for the year then who is going to take Taylor Walker, Tom Hawkins or Travis Cloke? Spangher? Brand? Heatherley? Gibson? Mitch Brown would be the best bet with Gibson free to support him.

Lobbe leaving Port

Any chance?

I'm not going to grab the link off the AFL site again but this was shot down by Port yesterday. Required player, contracted until 2017 if I recall correctly and apparently he wants to stay at Port. Just another "let's look for a player playing interstate who possibly isn't getting enough opportunities and link him for a possible return home" rumor.

Woody to the rookie list seems like a given. Long way back form three knee's.
With Woody's s**t luck it would appear to increase Hardisty's value and I am keen to see how he can further develop with another preseason. Has upside.
JML did'nt get much of a run at it this year - injury??
Money from Lake/ Hale retirement to be used to shore up Schoey and other up and coming prospects from the vultures.
Grimley is in trouble and you would think we will be looking to rookie another fwd/ruckman.
Simpkin is behind Howe, O'Rourke, Anderson, Langford and should move on if he wants to play at AFL level.
Willsmore played some good games and some not so good.

I personally hope we get from the draft what we need and pick up a matured ruck/fwd for insurance.
We need to get games into our next generation or risk letting the height of the cliff we will fall off increasing in altitude.

So senior list changes are:
Lake - retire
Hale - retire
Simpkin - delist?
Woodward - rookie?
Webster - delist?
Heatherly - elevate off rookie list
Shem - elevate off rookie list
Whitecross - free agency exit?

Rookie changes:
Grimley - delist
Hardisty - keep
JML - keep
L Langford - keep

That leaves four senior spots (or three if Whitecross stays) and three rookie spots free. Think that gives us plenty of flexibility.

Assuming Suckling is no longer leaving now Brisbane have seen his up and down 2015 season?

So senior list changes are:
Lake - retire
Hale - retire
Simpkin - delist?
Woodward - rookie?
Webster - delist?
Heatherly - elevate off rookie list
Shem - elevate off rookie list
Whitecross - free agency exit?

Rookie changes:
Grimley - delist
Hardisty - keep
JML - keep
L Langford - keep

That leaves four senior spots (or three if Whitecross stays) and three rookie spots free. Think that gives us plenty of flexibility.

Assuming Suckling is no longer leaving now Brisbane have seen his up and down 2015 season?

I don't think Shem deserves a senior list spot when there's no chance of senior footy.. Can we keep him as a rookie?

I don't think Shem deserves a senior list spot when there's no chance of senior footy.. Can we keep him as a rookie?
I think we can yes. Which we should

What about Franklin from Sydney? He is not doing well up there and a move to Melbourne might do him good, do you think he would add something to our team?

Only if he is willing to take a significant pay and years cut from his contract, then the answer is 'we'll think about it".

Yeah he needs another year on the rookie list at least. Really doubt he'll get promoted when he only just broke into the VFL squad this year, from the development squad.

I think we should make a play for Pendlebury.

He ain't going to be around by the time Collingwood are next challenging. An almost like for like replacement with Mitchell.
What about Franklin from Sydney? He is not doing well up there and a move to Melbourne might do him good, do you think he would add something to our team?

I think we should get him for $350,000 a year with the Swans paying the rest of his contract (between 700k to 900k) - this eases some of the salary cap pressure on them and gives us a quality player at a reasonable price - win win :)

I'm not going to grab the link off the AFL site again but this was shot down by Port yesterday. Required player, contracted until 2017 if I recall correctly and apparently he wants to stay at Port. Just another "let's look for a player playing interstate who possibly isn't getting enough opportunities and link him for a possible return home" rumor.
Could all be part of the trade dance. Making sure if they do trade it's from a position of power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only as cover for Schoey - otherwise he can take Grimley's place at Box Hill.

International Rookies/Category B (I think) can remain outside the main list for 3 years before they need to be elevated. Shem is very much a development prospect and only 19 years old and is entering his 3rd season where as Kurt is older and much more advanced - also think he needs to be elevated to the senior list this coming season - bit murky about the rules here perhaps someone else can add.

Interesting from the Hun about Yarran:

"The Hawks had this month flagged a barren trade period given a tight salary cap but their interest in Yarran shows they could again get deals done in coming weeks.

story-fnp04d70-1227560805107

While they must retain key forward Ryan Schoenmakers, the retirements of Brian Lake and David Hale will clear up some salary cap room.

The Hawks also took off the table a deal for dual premiership defender Matt Suckling, who must now negotiate another deal or move elsewhere.

The loss of Lake, Hale, Suckling and potentially Brendan Whitecross to Brisbane would clear up to $1 million of salary cap space, most of which would be used on player retention."​

Wasn't aware we pulled an offer that was made to Suckling.

I don't hate the idea of getting Yarren.

He would be very good for us off half back, and along the wing. Maybe he is back up if Suckling leaves?

Interesting from the Hun about Yarran:

"The Hawks had this month flagged a barren trade period given a tight salary cap but their interest in Yarran shows they could again get deals done in coming weeks.

story-fnp04d70-1227560805107

While they must retain key forward Ryan Schoenmakers, the retirements of Brian Lake and David Hale will clear up some salary cap room.

The Hawks also took off the table a deal for dual premiership defender Matt Suckling, who must now negotiate another deal or move elsewhere.

The loss of Lake, Hale, Suckling and potentially Brendan Whitecross to Brisbane would clear up to $1 million of salary cap space, most of which would be used on player retention."​

Wasn't aware we pulled an offer that was made to Suckling.
Perhaps it suggests that Litherland is preferred going forward.

We did a similar thing to Young when we wanted to give Hill some games going forward.

There's always been a need for role players in the Hawthorn squad. Consider Mitch Brown a Spangher/Simpkin type. You don't want to have to rely on them but you'll be glad they're there if we suffer an injury and need an experienced body to come in. If Frawley did a knee in the pre-season (knock on wood) and was out for the year then who is going to take Taylor Walker, Tom Hawkins or Travis Cloke? Spangher? Brand? Heatherley? Gibson? Mitch Brown would be the best bet with Gibson free to support him.

I agree and I disagree.

I agree that we need role players, but I also think we are getting to the point where we need to hedge our bets, and that might exclude role players.

We need to put enough elite talent around Hodge/Mitchell/Burgoyne/Lewis/Rough/Rioli et al. to have a crack at next years premiership, and at the same time we need to find elite talent to replace those guys.

We cannot recruit elite talent because we do not have the cap space (except maybe if it is undervalued, ie. Bennell). Therefore it is time to role the dice in the draft to try and find a Fyfe or a Mitchell for that matter. IMO that excludes depth players.

We need to start looking for diamonds in the rough - it is the only path open to us. Otherwise the role players will be our elite talent soon enough.

Happy to take pick 18-19 into the draft to try to find a gem like Fyfe. Contested ball bull with speed and core strength. Speed not needed, as long as disposal is great and decision making, elite. Like Mitchell and Hodge.

Zac Smith wants to go to Geelong.

So that's Dangerfield, Smith, Selwood and Henderson that want to go there?

If Adelaide decide to match the offer, as they should, and Eagles match the Selwood offer, how on earth can they trade for all these players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back