2015 - What needs to be done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok, 2014 is cooked. I was going to post this in the Collingwood review originally, but I wanted to step back from that a bit and try (admittedly when the emotions are running high) and see where the list is seriously at.

List Balance

The last few weeks have shown up the clear holes in our list.

1. We need to trade for a KPF who can play from round 1 next year, simple as that. Trade a big name to get a quality one and ignore any tail wagging the dog from fans losing a favourite.
2. We need to draft or trade for a KPD that's at least 195cm.
3. We need Lycett or Gorringe. Lobbe is on a clear downward spiral from carrying everything. He's stuffed. He's about the only player I'll give excuses for.

Skills

We all knew when Hinkley took over our skills were sub-standard. Most here could pick that last year our skills were still a pile of poo, but our improved fitness and fight masked them against poor and average sides. This year (putting aside the emotion of the moment), they have improved on 2013, but it's clear we're still a long way off the likes of Sydney, Geelong, Hawks and Fremantle. Even when we beat the latter of those three earlier in the year, it was run, spread, fitness and fight. Not by being more skillful.

In the game now turnovers are death. We need to get rid of players with sub-standard delivery, if they aren't improving.

And we are still at least another pre-season of heavy skill work away from being able to match sides. I'd put the progression as 2011 - 2012 - Skills - VERY poor. 2013 - Skills - Poor. 2014 - Skills - Average. There needs to be a lot of skill work done pre-season if we want to challenge seriously.

Strength / Size

The combination of our lists age and for the older players years of sub-standard training managed by Falloon has really being shown up the last few weeks. With teams being afraid to back themselves in against us and instead clogging things up and manning up, the size / strength, or more accurately shortfall in size / strength of our players is standing out like a sore thumb. We can't hold tackles, break tackles or fend players off like most other sides can.

With a good aerobic base now built I really hope there's an emphasis this pre-season on getting our players stronger, especially through the core (not beach muscles). In winter and in finals big bodies are required. You can have the smaller players, but only if you have enough big/strong bodies out there to get the ball and protect them. We clearly don't have enough big/strong bodied players out there yet. This pre-season I want to hear stories from the club about how the players are hurting from all the work in the weight room.

Wrap Up

These things were all there to see prior to the recent run of poo, but the cluster* of everything going wrong at once (Lobbe no support, Trengove and Carlile down, no tall forward being played, injured players picked) has stripped away the 'but we're winning, so let's all ignore the problems' being put forward by some. By and large we can't do anything about them until post-season, but it doesn't make it any less painful to watch.

Agree on all counts. I still think our bona fide good mids are limited to Boak and Wines, with Gray very good as a lower possession cameo player.
I no longer have hopes of Hartlett being a consistent ball magnet despite the odd standout game. Ebert reminds me a lot of Kane Cornes at the moment. Huff and puff, but negative influence.
The keys are in our structure. I'm less worried about the tall defenders, but ruck and forward have to be addressed.
I'd actually go all out and only draft/trade for big guys this year. Any smalls can be acquired in the rookie draft.

Agree on all counts. I still think our bona fide good mids are limited to Boak and Wines, with Gray very good as a lower possession cameo player.
I no longer have hopes of Hartlett being a consistent ball magnet despite the odd standout game. Ebert reminds me a lot of Kane Cornes at the moment. Huff and puff, but negative influence.
The keys are in our structure. I'm less worried about the tall defenders, but ruck and forward have to be addressed.
I'd actually go all out and only draft/trade for big guys this year. Any smalls can be acquired in the rookie draft.
Was our best player tonight, actually the only one to muscle himself some possessions at times

We couldn't have kept Rehn in addition to Walsh?

Ugh.

I would also like a devoted goal kicking coach, and someone to replace John Donohue if he is not working here full time, so a full time tackling coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're underestimating Beams there. As of now, he's the more consistent and accomplished footballer than Hartlett. He's a gun. Hartlett is too at his best which is one week in every four or five.
Hartlett has played a lot of average 20 touch games in the past few years.

I was talking to my dad today about some of Port's recruiting options, and we came up with something that may possibly, with a little bit of help from the 'footy gods' and a few other clubs, solve all of our KPP problems.

I'm not sure if I should post this in the Trading Targets Summary thread or here, so I will copy the following post and put in on the other thread as well so a few others can see it. Anyways, here I go:

Apparently there was a rumor going around that Jeremy Cameron, the young AA, KPF for GWS (three abbreviations in 4 words), is thinking about leaving his club in order to move to SA where his family have secured a good job. This move is made more realistic by Cameron's contract being out at the seasons end. Please note: I do NOT have an extremely reliable and none of this may be true, but I have talked with a few of my Crows and Port mates and they have all heard that Cameron is thinking about moving, so I don't think I'm completely off the ball. Anyways, Cameron is a high-quality, young KPF that can easily fill Schulz's shoes, as he will only have a few more years left in him. He is good enough make our best 22 and he will solve our problem for a tall KPF, however; we may have to give up some of our quality players to nab him, with the Crows a likely contender in buying him (even though they don't need him), we may have to give up someone like Hartlett to get him. Hartlett for Cameron - its so tempting, but I just can't let go of hammer, especially after he kicked 4 goals today. Here's where the solution comes in: Greater Western Sydney have shown their interest in Shaun Higgins, a high-class midfielder that goes out of contract at this years end, from the Western Bulldogs. The Bulldogs have also shown some interest in Port Adelaide's own John Butcher, which would solve their problem of having no KPF's or KPD's. We all know Butcher isn't too flash, and I can't see him getting any better, so I think we should trade like this: Butcher goes to Bulldogs with a possible draft pick if they want more. Higgins goes to GWS and Bulldogs exit the trade. Port takes Cameron off of GWS and may have to offer another draft pick or two to help compensate the loss of Cameron from GWS. This way, all 3 clubs get who they want and we get rid off Butcher. We should easily be able to grab Lycett off of West Coast so he can replace Renouf on our list as a backup ruckmen, who can also play forward. This three-club trade, along with the Lycett deal, could potentially set us up as the best traders of the 2014 trade period.

It's a little far-fetched, and is probably unlikely to happen, but hey, anything is possible ;)

I was talking to my dad today about some of Port's recruiting options, and we came up with something that may possibly, with a little bit of help from the 'footy gods' and a few other clubs, solve all of our KPP problems.

I'm not sure if I should post this in the Trading Targets Summary thread or here, so I will copy the following post and put in on the other thread as well so a few others can see it. Anyways, here I go:

Apparently there was a rumor going around that Jeremy Cameron, the young AA, KPF for GWS (three abbreviations in 4 words), is thinking about leaving his club in order to move to SA where his family have secured a good job. This move is made more realistic by Cameron's contract being out at the seasons end. Please note: I do NOT have an extremely reliable and none of this may be true, but I have talked with a few of my Crows and Port mates and they have all heard that Cameron is thinking about moving, so I don't think I'm completely off the ball. Anyways, Cameron is a high-quality, young KPF that can easily fill Schulz's shoes, as he will only have a few more years left in him. He is good enough make our best 22 and he will solve our problem for a tall KPF, however; we may have to give up some of our quality players to nab him, with the Crows a likely contender in buying him (even though they don't need him), we may have to give up someone like Hartlett to get him. Hartlett for Cameron - its so tempting, but I just can't let go of hammer, especially after he kicked 4 goals today. Here's where the solution comes in: Greater Western Sydney have shown their interest in Shaun Higgins, a high-class midfielder that goes out of contract at this years end, from the Western Bulldogs. The Bulldogs have also shown some interest in Port Adelaide's own John Butcher, which would solve their problem of having no KPF's or KPD's. We all know Butcher isn't too flash, and I can't see him getting any better, so I think we should trade like this: Butcher goes to Bulldogs with a possible draft pick if they want more. Higgins goes to GWS and Bulldogs exit the trade. Port takes Cameron off of GWS and may have to offer another draft pick or two to help compensate the loss of Cameron from GWS. This way, all 3 clubs get who they want and we get rid off Butcher. We should easily be able to grab Lycett off of West Coast so he can replace Renouf on our list as a backup ruckmen, who can also play forward. This three-club trade, along with the Lycett deal, could potentially set us up as the best traders of the 2014 trade period.

It's a little far-fetched, and is probably unlikely to happen, but hey, anything is possible ;)
Where do I sign!!!!

Comes out of contract end of 2015 I believe.

Great trade. Everyone gets screwed except us.

Sorry to be a spoil sport on your post it would be a great idea just...I thought Higgins was a free agent so why wouldn't gws just pick him up for nothing?

2015 will be interesting for Ken. In 2013 and 2014 he's still been stuck with players he may have wanted to move on. By the end of this years trade / draft period there won't be many players who didn't have a contract finishing in 2013 / 2014 when he arrived left.

It won't be his team, as much as he built it over 4 or 5 years of drafting and development, but it will be the team he's kept rather than running a line through. And as such the excuses for sub-standard (/continually injured) players left that he inherited will largely disappear. 3rd year coaches don't get the 'get out of jail' cards of new coaches at clubs, especially first time senior coaching anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back