List Mgmt. 2015 young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Hird has clearly topped up the senior players with Cooney and Gwilt to have a crack this year. Clearly the aim is to get our younger players like Hurley and Heppell a prelim to develop from there.

So this makes me think that with the help of some bigger bodied VFL listed players the VFL side is going to be full of young up and comers from 18-21. The Connor, 2 new guys, Gleeson, Orazio, O'Brien, Aylet, Edwards, J Merret, Kavanagh ect ect will be playing for senior spots.

How do some of you VFL loves Yoda_ per esempio .. how do you see us going with that? Personally I'd be stoked if they could play some finals in the VFL. 84-85, 93 and 2000 premierships were all preceeded by successful young 2nd sides. Can anyone see this mob doing that together and pushing up to the seniors together.

Someone do a best 22 for the VFL team for round 1. Should make for some exciting reading.

Someone do a best 22 for the VFL team for round 1. Should make for some exciting reading.

Posted this in the rolling best 22 thread

AFL SIDE:
B: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
HB: Hibberd - Hurley - Dempsey
C: Stanton - Watson - Goddard
HF: Z.Merrett - Daniher - Ambrose
F: Zaharakis - Carlisle - Chapman
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Hocking
I/C: Cooney - Myers - Colyer - (Winderlich)

VFL SIDE:
B: Ashby - (Freezer) - Gwilt
HB: Dalgleish - Steinberg - Browne
C: (Polkinghorne) - O.Brien - Melksham
HF: J.Merret - Peter Wright - Fantasia
F: Kommer - (VFL player) - Long
R: Giles - (Marigliani) - Howlett
I/C: Kavanagh, Edwards, McKenna, Hams, Howlett, Hams, Pears, (Coghlan), (Heavyside), (VFL KPP), (VFL Ruck), Pick 17, Pick 20, Rookie Draft pick 12, (Hickey), (Byrne).

We really do need to get some tall onto our list. No key forward depth and no outstanding key defensive depth (Steinberg, Pears and Gwilt are all ok). And a serious lack of pace coming from our seconds that isn't pushing for senior games.

The two guys i have high hopes for are Alex Browne and Lauchy Dalgleish. At that age who should be pushing for more senior opportunities but limited due to injury but have tools to work with that could make them handy AFL players.

Bit of tweaking now we know who Essendon has selected;

B: Jason Ashby - Josh Freezer - James Gwilt
HB: Lauchlan Dalgleish - Ariel Steinberg - Alex Browne
C: James Polkinghorne - Nick O'Brien - Jake Melksham
HF: Jackson Merrett - VFL Player - Orzazio Fantasia
F: Nick Kommer - VFL Player - Jayden Laverde
R: Jon Giles - Marcus Marigliani - Ben Howlett

I/C (from) the rest

Hird has clearly topped up the senior players with Cooney and Gwilt to have a crack this year. Clearly the aim is to get our younger players like Hurley and Heppell a prelim to develop from there.

So this makes me think that with the help of some bigger bodied VFL listed players the VFL side is going to be full of young up and comers from 18-21. The Connor, 2 new guys, Gleeson, Orazio, O'Brien, Aylet, Edwards, J Merret, Kavanagh ect ect will be playing for senior spots.

How do some of you VFL loves Yoda_ per esempio .. how do you see us going with that? Personally I'd be stoked if they could play some finals in the VFL. 84-85, 93 and 2000 premierships were all preceeded by successful young 2nd sides. Can anyone see this mob doing that together and pushing up to the seniors together.

I want to be bullish on our young guys, but I simply can't. Kav shows patches, NOB plays a good game once a month, Browne needs to stay on the park whilst the myth of Dalgleish is merely that, an urban myth.

If Essendon is to make any inroads in either the AFL &/or VFL is to come from the impending improvement from this group. We MUST get a suitably high productive key forward for our VFL side. Is it selfish of me to want Sam Tagliabue not to be drafted?

I want to be bullish on our young guys, but I simply can't. Kav shows patches, NOB plays a good game once a month, Browne needs to stay on the park whilst the myth of Dalgleish is merely that, an urban myth.

If Essendon is to make any inroads in either the AFL &/or VFL is to come from the impending improvement from this group. We MUST get a suitably high productive key forward for our VFL side. Is it selfish of me to want Sam Tagliabue not to be drafted?

Dalgliesh will either make it in the AFL on the back of blistering pace or he'll be a bust. There won't be that fringe element to him. You'll have to ask Sam his opinion. Looks like Coghlan and Marigliani will provide plenty of cover for the boys. What is the spine for the VFL? Clearly need to let Kommer, NOB and Kav go for ruck, forward and ruck/forward next year. Another KPD to cover Fletch as well. We need some VFL quality for that next year.

Dalgliesh will either make it in the AFL on the back of blistering pace or he'll be a bust. There won't be that fringe element to him. You'll have to ask Sam his opinion. Looks like Coghlan and Marigliani will provide plenty of cover for the boys. What is the spine for the VFL? Clearly need to let Kommer, NOB and Kav go for ruck, forward and ruck/forward next year. Another KPD to cover Fletch as well. We need some VFL quality for that next year.

Hearing off the grapevine that KEfferd has gone back to local footy which is disappointing so we'll clearly need to reinforce all our KP stocks for our VFL list let alone the AFL one.

Our players are at the stage where they should be able to start stepping up their VFL games to get to a really good level. The biggest issue in the VFL side is the lack of a forward line. If round 1 was played tomorrow our starting forward line (for me) would be:

J Merrett - O'Brien - Laverde
Fantasia - Langford - Kommer

We seriously need 2 key forwards in the VFL. If Keitel doesn't get rookie drafted, I'd go for him.

Hearing off the grapevine that KEfferd has gone back to local footy which is disappointing so we'll clearly need to reinforce all our KP stocks for our VFL list let alone the AFL one.
That's a real pity if so. Kefferd has some serious talent.

I think a run up the VFL ladder is very much on the cards.

The results of the last few years largely reflect the maturity of the team. Fast starts and fade outs, winning or almost winning games on the back of ballistic final quarters and largely struggling to put in 3 let alone 4 quarter performances.

Three quality midfielders now on the VFL list (Coghlan, Polkinghorne and Marigliani) together with a long line of AFL listed players who more often than not look like boys next to the more experienced VFL sides (e.g. Footscray, Port and Richmond) but will now largely be a group of 3rd to 5th year players. Howlett should play a lot of reserves footy too which gives us a core of midfielders as good as anyone in the competition.

From the group of listed mids you've already got Ashby who according to reports has bulked up significantly and Kavanagh who is running at a level which is not that far behind some real jets (Ambrose and Aylett relegate everyone from the senior group down 2 spots which is likely to place Kav in the top 5 or 6 overall).

Why now and not last year for Kav in particular? Physical and emotional maturity and luck with injury. If you can't run in footy your basically cooked and Kav really struggled to get around the ground in 2014 which meant that he was not consistently getting the ball or putting in the require level of defensive work. At least we now know that he has decent running capacity (which is exactly what the 2km trial tests).

Aylett was a 20 possession 10 tackle player most weeks in his first season on the ball and will only get better. O'Brien became a prolific accumulator of possessions and workhorse even if he needs to find a way to hurt opponents with the ball. We'll get Browne, Hams and Kommer back too.

Fantasia, Dalgleish and Edwards (for a start) add real speed and class to the mix. In theory you can throw in Laverde, Langford and Long.

Key position players are a concern. The Defence should be alright with Pears, Gwilt and Steinberg all around. I'd like to think Freezer will be a VFL player again. Kefford is a decent deep forward but not much else. Dell'Olio looks to be playing which will help.

Depending on who falls through the pre-season and rookie drafts I'd be looking to throw some decent money at young key forwards and a ruck or two.

As horrible a run with injuries Dalgleish has had, I'm telling you now, he won't make AFL seniors level.

Dalgleish had a bad run this year. Played most games in the years before.

3 comfortable performances at the level in his 2nd year, promotion to the senior list during the draft sanctions when there was a premium on picks and the significant improvement in his game off the ball at the start of 2014 is more than enough for me to think he has a future.

I think a run up the VFL ladder is very much on the cards.

The results of the last few years largely reflect the maturity of the team. Fast starts and fade outs, winning or almost winning games on the back of ballistic final quarters and largely struggling to put in 3 let alone 4 quarter performances.

Three quality midfielders now on the VFL list (Coghlan, Polkinghorne and Marigliani) together with a long line of AFL listed players who more often than not look like boys next to the more experienced VFL sides (e.g. Footscray, Port and Richmond) but will now largely be a group of 3rd to 5th year players. Howlett should play a lot of reserves footy too which gives us a core of midfielders as good as anyone in the competition.

From the group of listed mids you've already got Ashby who according to reports has bulked up significantly and Kavanagh who is running at a level which is not that far behind some real jets (Ambrose and Aylett relegate everyone from the senior group down 2 spots which is likely to place Kav in the top 5 or 6 overall).

Why now and not last year for Kav in particular? Physical and emotional maturity and luck with injury. If you can't run in footy your basically cooked and Kav really struggled to get around the ground in 2014 which meant that he was not consistently getting the ball or putting in the require level of defensive work. At least we now know that he has decent running capacity (which is exactly what the 2km trial tests).

Aylett was a 20 possession 10 tackle player most weeks in his first season on the ball and will only get better. O'Brien became a prolific accumulator of possessions and workhorse even if he needs to find a way to hurt opponents with the ball. We'll get Browne, Hams and Kommer back too.

Fantasia, Dalgleish and Edwards (for a start) add real speed and class to the mix. In theory you can throw in Laverde, Langford and Long.

Key position players are a concern. The Defence should be alright with Pears, Gwilt and Steinberg all around. I'd like to think Freezer will be a VFL player again. Kefford is a decent deep forward but not much else. Dell'Olio looks to be playing which will help.

Depending on who falls through the pre-season and rookie drafts I'd be looking to throw some decent money at young key forwards and a ruck or two.

Surely we sign up KPPs and rucks as VFL listed players after the rookie draft. We have Coghlan and Marigliani as big bodied mids to protect the young uns. I too think that if we have a good run of injuries in the 1s these guys can be shown that Essendon is pretty conservative with list movement and if they develop together we have a tight nit group coming through to replace Watson, Stanton and Goddard. If some of them improve then Hocking and Howlet will be pushed out also.

Regards KPPs, surely now that the sanctions are over our first pick for a year or two will be KPPs as we need to start developing them. If Hooker, Hurley or Carlise go down for a year or get a big money offer we're screwed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dalgleish had a bad run this year. Played most games in the years before.

3 comfortable performances at the level in his 2nd year, promotion to the senior list during the draft sanctions when there was a premium on picks and the significant improvement in his game off the ball at the start of 2014 is more than enough for me to think he has a future.

I don't wish him any ill will. It's simply my opinion that the game just moves too fast for any one player should he be injured for a considerable time. A year out is as good as two to three. Carlton are pinning all hope on Matthew Kreuzer and IMO it's laughable. He will be a handy player but never a match winner now.

I don't wish him any ill will. It's simply my opinion that the game just moves too fast for any one player should he be injured for a considerable time. A year out is as good as two to three. Carlton are pinning all hope on Matthew Kreuzer and IMO it's laughable. He will be a handy player but never a match winner now.

A player who is well developed can miss a year or two. Also a player from an establised team can work his way back into the side with a bitza role, such as the ranger from Sydney. If you're still learning the caper and need to have a free run in the weights room and building your endurance then it gets to much if you come into a middle of the road side with a fairly important position, ala Gumby at Essendon.

If Kruezer is played extensively in the ruck then he'll come good. Being played as a forward when he has never had the pace off the mark for that has hurt him as much as his knee. Their best way forward is pissing off Warnock and having Casboult playing a small chop out role for Kruezer.

2014 was really disappointing i thought. Like others have said, there will need to be a whole lot of fingers being pulled out of backsides next year.
That said, it looks really promising on paper. Howlett has a habit of destroying the VFL, so that would be a big help if it pans out that way. Aylett is likely to struggle to find a place in the seniors next year unless he can do more on the outside of the pack, so he could well end up being massive in the VFL also. The VFL side really missed the likes of Kommer (or his senior replacement), Browne and Hams all season, so getting those guys back will be big.
If they have a better run with injuries in general then it will be a different look side. Pears and Dal getting through unscathed etc...
A lot of people are big wraps for Fancy pants, so he could be a dark horse to make a big impact.

That's a little dramatic especially since he played about 10 games this year.

BrunoV you can throw Schroder in if he doesn't get drafted next week. Hearing that he'll sign, but not 100% on that.

That would be nice.

It would help big time to have that sort of depth in experienced VFL mids.

Would be amazing if a Hammleman or a Keitel slips through the draft this year. Would like to get hold of an athletic young KPF for the reserves.

That's a little dramatic especially since he played about 10 games this year.
Yeah, but half a dozen of those he got injured in or was his first game back from injury.
That would be nice.

It would help big time to have that sort of depth in experienced VFL mids.

Would be amazing if a Hammleman or a Keitel slips through the draft this year. Would like to get hold of an athletic young KPF for the reserves.
I would love either of them. Tell them if they kick x amount of goals next year and average y marks they'll take Steinberg's place on the rookie list.

I don't really care who is in the 22, so long as there is sufficient development with the younger guys and consistent good footy played in the VFL by listed players. Need bottom 6 players in the 18 to have guys on their heels. Too long have players got by playing average footy with little pressure coming in the VFL.

Hoping Neeld is a success story and we can build some real depth, not on paper depth. The sort of depth where selection is really rough and 26 players deserve a game, instead of 18 or so.

McKernan photoshopped? He looks like he could eat Giles for lunch.
10887209_10152935331199356_6266500944639776754_o.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back