2016-17 Lower Leagues & Non-League thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The two regular season games between Carlisle and Exeter were high scoring, entertaining games with Carlisle winning both 3-2, and the first leg of the playoff was no different, ending 3-3 with Carlisle coming back from 3-1 down, scoring twice in two minutes in the last half-hour. Return leg is at Exeter on Friday.
The other tie was a 3-2 win for Blackpool over Luton.

The two regular season games between Carlisle and Exeter were high scoring, entertaining games with Carlisle winning both 3-2, and the first leg of the playoff was no different, ending 3-3 with Carlisle coming back from 3-1 down, scoring twice in two minutes in the last half-hour. Return leg is at Exeter on Friday.
The other tie was a 3-2 win for Blackpool over Luton.
Much better playoff games than the Championship ones.

Much better playoff games than the Championship ones.

I maybe biased but I think the lower leagues is where the best football is played. Perhaps not as skilled or stylish as the top two leagues, but definitely more entertaining.

3-1 win for the Rovers (of the green variety).

Forest Green PROMOTED to the football league for the first time in the club's history! 19 year stay in the Conference/National League at an end lol.

It's a realisation of a dream - once when the club was relegated and got a last minute stay of execution by another team going into administration, I remember thinking if it would ever be possible to get promoted (other than on football manager). Will be something special to see the club on FIFA this year. Certainly for Mr Vince it's the first step towards his ambitious plans for the club.

Shattered I fell asleep. Was listening to the radio coverage on BBC Radio Gloucestershire and made the mistake of lying back on the bed with the laptop. Was lights out when it was 1-1. FGR scored a quickfire double later in the first half that ultimately was the difference.

P.S commiserations oz1235. Would have been great to see both clubs go up. I was in your position last season when we lost in the playoff final despite arguably being the better team across the season. Listening to the radio, Tranmere definitely brought a bigger following to Wembley. Will be rooting for you guys to come up next season along with Gateshead haha.

Forest Green PROMOTED to the football league for the first time in the club's history! 19 year stay in the Conference/National League at an end lol.

It's a realisation of a dream - once when the club was relegated and got a last minute stay of execution by another team going into administration, I remember thinking if it would ever be possible to get promoted (other than on football manager). Will be something special to see the club on FIFA this year. Certainly for Mr Vince it's the first step towards his ambitious plans for the club.

Shattered I fell asleep. Was listening to the radio coverage on BBC Radio Gloucestershire and made the mistake of lying back on the bed with the laptop. Was lights out when it was 1-1. FGR scored a quickfire double later in the first half that ultimately was the difference.

P.S commiserations oz1235. Would have been great to see both clubs go up. I was in your position last season when we lost in the playoff final despite arguably being the better team across the season. Listening to the radio, Tranmere definitely brought a bigger following to Wembley. Will be rooting for you guys to come up next season along with Gateshead haha.

FGR in the Football League, now they have the funds and also more chances to get promoted, this could be the start of something incredible. Fleetwood were extremely close to the Championship, and they've got a loaded owner, so who knows what could happen next season?

FGR in the Football League, now they have the funds and also more chances to get promoted, this could be the start of something incredible. Fleetwood were extremely close to the Championship, and they've got a loaded owner, so who knows what could happen next season?

Fingers crossed! Clubs like Burton Albion have shown what small teams can do with a good owner. Fleetwood another example and I recall playing both teams in the Conference years back haha.

There seems to be a bit of cynicism from some opposition fans. Maybe a degree of jealousy? Maybe they want meat pies when they visit? Maybe they don't trust Vince and the think he'll jump ship one day and leave the club in the lurch without his money. But given how ambitious he is with wanting to build a new wooden stadium, and using the club as a platform to promote green energy, I think he's going to be in it for the long haul. If anything, being in the FL just gives him more of a platform to promote sustainability and try to grow his business while revolutionising football clubs and how they operate. Pretty exciting times to see where the club will go in the next few years.

Fingers crossed! Clubs like Burton Albion have shown what small teams can do with a good owner. Fleetwood another example and I recall playing both teams in the Conference years back haha.

There seems to be a bit of cynicism from some opposition fans. Maybe a degree of jealousy? Maybe they want meat pies when they visit? Maybe they don't trust Vince and the think he'll jump ship one day and leave the club in the lurch without his money. But given how ambitious he is with wanting to build a new wooden stadium, and using the club as a platform to promote green energy, I think he's going to be in it for the long haul. If anything, being in the FL just gives him more of a platform to promote sustainability and try to grow his business while revolutionising football clubs and how they operate. Pretty exciting times to see where the club will go in the next few years.

Played a few Careers with them on Football Manager, will be pretty cool to play as them on FIFA now too ;) I read in some of the EFL Facebook posts that they have a bit of debt. Is that true or just jealousy/salty supporters from other clubs?

Doesn't your song lyrics say Port Power?
Nope. It just says "Power!" at the end. If you hear "Port Power!" you are listening to the wrong song.

The song below isn't our theme song.

This is.

Nope. It just says "Power!" at the end. If you hear "Port Power!" you are listening to the wrong song.

The song below isn't our theme song.

This is.

Fair enough, just thought I heard the players sing it after the China game win so assumed it was their song. Obviously misheard

Played a few Careers with them on Football Manager, will be pretty cool to play as them on FIFA now too ;) I read in some of the EFL Facebook posts that they have a bit of debt. Is that true or just jealousy/salty supporters from other clubs?

The club put this pic up yesterday on their facebook page jokingly saying this would be this year's cover.

18485465_1353907651362007_1778245568198740824_n.jpg

I think back in 2015, it was reported the club had about $5m in debt which obviously isn't great for a non league side with a annual turnover of about $1m. There's been some high profile instances of dodgy owners coming in, racking up huge debts and then bailing leaving the club in a bad way. It's especially not a great look for a club that is trying to promote sustainability.

I think there is a degree of resentment from some opposition fans that the club 'bought' their way up - IIRC, I think our wage bill went from one of the lowest to either the biggest or second biggest after Vince came in. Probably no different than one of the PL big boys throwing millions at new signings - just on a much lower scale haha.

I'm personally not too fussed though - Vince's business is promoting green energy and he seems very invested in wanting to revolutionise football clubs with more sustainable methods. As he mentioned, getting out of the non leagues is tough given there is only 2 spots for promotion each season and one of them is the playoff roulette. Tranmere were comfortably better than us across the season (think they finished something like 9 points clear on the table) but playoff games are such a mixed bag.

An article on the Football League's newest team.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39923153

Just out of interest, Nailsworth has a larger population than Dingwall which currently has a team that will participate next season in the Scottish Premier League for sixth consecutive season.

As a Ross County fan it is always rather thrilling when your team competes and succeeds against the bigger, richer clubs who have greater resources and support. And when they have some genuine success, such as when Ross County won the Scottish League cup last season it is an amazing moment and amazing feeling.

All the best for FGR.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 2nd Carlisle goal was amazing!

Some very average keeping for the 1st Exeter goal though. That should never be going in haha.

When's the next tie for this?

I actually thought all three Exeter goals were pretty woeful, our defence looked pretty porous at times. Our goalkeeper should have stopped the first, he probably had the second one covered, except for the deflection, and then our back four left an opponent free in the six yard box to score. Criminal. The Exeter goalkeeper probably should have stopped our second and third goals as well. Also Exeter had two goals disallowed and we had a penalty for handball turned down in stoppage time.

The return leg is Thursday night, their time.

Last edited:
Haha saw that crazy goal on the EFL facebook page - they were asking people if they thought it was a genuine shot or misplaced cross. The swerve on the ball was unreal. :p

Finally, come out of the woodwork hahaha. Well Done NUFC Tiger. Way better team on the day. No excuses about the loss but having 7 first team regulars out kill our promotion chance against lincoln and in the Playoff. I went to bed couple of mins left listening to the radio (I watch the game online without ads, You want to know message me as it has Sky Sports and ITV and BBC) however I am still annoyed with your captain late in the game(It was just not cricket...I know it is soccer hahaha). I think Micky Mellon is a fantastic manager and have Mark and Nicola Palios who have Quadruple our turnover since they brought the club is really fantastic and it is paying dividends already. 1.5 Mil Pounds when that idiot Peter Johnson ran it and we were in League one, Now at 6mil and we are in the conference....opps National league.

I am proud of the lads and to have 9/2 for Tranmere to promoted next season. I might sneak a tenner on that.

Till Next Season..

Finally, come out of the woodwork hahaha. Well Done NUFC Tiger. Way better team on the day. No excuses about the loss but having 7 first team regulars out kill our promotion chance against lincoln and in the Playoff. I went to bed couple of mins left listening to the radio (I watch the game online without ads, You want to know message me as it has Sky Sports and ITV and BBC) however I am still annoyed with your captain late in the game(It was just not cricket...I know it is soccer hahaha). I think Micky Mellon is a fantastic manager and have Mark and Nicola Palios who have Quadruple our turnover since they brought the club is really fantastic and it is paying dividends already. 1.5 Mil Pounds when that idiot Peter Johnson ran it and we were in League one, Now at 6mil and we are in the conference....opps National league.

I am proud of the lads and to have 9/2 for Tranmere to promoted next season. I might sneak a tenner on that.

Till Next Season..

I might need to ask you that for next season haha. Did you end up watching the rugby as well? Hopefully was a better result there...

I don't know a whole lot about Mellon but I did agree with his post game comments that they should increase the number of relegation places in League Two and increase the promotion places for the National League. 2 going up and down is pretty crazy. Seems like a decent manager regardless.

I might need to ask you that for next season haha. Did you end up watching the rugby as well? Hopefully was a better result there...

I don't know a whole lot about Mellon but I did agree with his post game comments that they should increase the number of relegation places in League Two and increase the promotion places for the National League. 2 going up and down is pretty crazy. Seems like a decent manager regardless.

Yes had the Rugby League on the TV as that was on Fox League Channel and had the game on the Computer. I should have gone to bed because both teams lost.

I think the 3 go up should be in place from Championship all the way down to the regional leagues Playoff optional in the league.

Mellon took Fleetwood up thru Conference North and Confernece and is ex player when John Aldridge was manager of Tranmere

Yes had the Rugby League on the TV as that was on Fox League Channel and had the game on the Computer. I should have gone to bed because both teams lost.

I think the 3 go up should be in place from Championship all the way down to the regional leagues Playoff optional in the league.

Mellon took Fleetwood up thru Conference North and Confernece and is ex player when John Aldridge was manager of Tranmere

Ah bummer. Sorry to hear that. Not a good night at all it would seem.

hqdefault.jpg

Yep agree with you. Don't mind if the play off stays but the first 2 should be automatic places.

I haven't seen many League 2/Football League matches but some pundits seem to think the quality in general isn't a huge difference. Given there is only 2 relegation places in League 2, it's been suggested some teams simply don't have incentive to try and be better. Like they happily accept lower table finishes season on end without wanting to try and be better. Another relegation place would surely help eradicate any complacency.

Carlisle have been knocked out of the playoff after a 3-2 loss this morning. A 95th minute strike has condemned us to another year in League two.:(

I hate playoffs, they bring nothing but disappointment. This is the second time we have made the playoffs and on both occasions a goal in injury time has cost us a trip to Wembley.:( Back in 2008 a goal in the 93rd minute cost us the League One tie against Leeds. We could/should be in the Championship playing against teams like Nottingham Forest, Norwich, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday and Aston Villa, instead we are in League Two playing against Crewe, Newport, Yeovil and FGR.:(:(

Depressed, sad, disappointed little rant over.

2 cracking games in League 2 this morning.
Luton OG in the 90th sent Blackpool through in a 3-3 game.
Exeter won 3-2 over Carlisle to go through 6-5 on agg

Carlisle have been knocked out of the playoff after a 3-2 loss this morning. A 95th minute strike has condemned us to another year in League two.:(

I hate playoffs, they bring nothing but disappointment. This is the second time we have made the playoffs and on both occasions a goal in injury time has cost us a trip to Wembley.:( Back in 2008 a goal in the 93rd minute cost us the League One tie against Leeds. We could/should be in the Championship playing against teams like Nottingham Forest, Norwich, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday and Aston Villa, instead we are in League Two playing against Crewe, Newport, Yeovil and FGR.:(:(

Depressed, sad, disappointed little rant over.

Far out, sorry to heat that DEVO. I think I saw this morning you guys were 2-0 down with 10 or so minutes to go. Bring it back to 2-2 in the 90th minute and that was the last I saw. Assumed you guys would have the momentum to go on and win. 95th min winner is just brutal.

If it's any consolation, Coventry will be joining us and you'll probably beat us regardless of the number of veggie burgers the players eat in the lead up.

As they say, hope springs eternal. Maybe next season will finally go your way. :)

P.S 6-5 on aggregate with 4 goals in the last 10-15 mins is insane. Dramatic end to that semi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back