2016-17 Lower Leagues & Non-League thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, at least you have a team in the leagues doing well, Mr Part Owner.

Yeah, I hear some British ale producers use animal products in the filtering process. Honey is also a no-go for vegans. I'm sure glenferry23 could explain, although if I'm not mistaken, he doesn't drink at all (and a very good decision too!)

So Vegan beer is just that. They certainly aren't pulling any stops on this vegan train.

Hopefully not the first prize or accolade we win this season! ;)

Yeah, the Doncaster game is a very important game for us, one of those early season games that has the potential to define a season. Carlisle have genuine expectations regarding promotion this season, as does Doncaster, and we have been in solid form over the last few weeks, as have Doncaster, although they did lose on Saturday away to 3rd placed Luton. A win here could really set us up, especially as we an easier run of games in October and November.

As for Barrow, I'm not expecting much from the Bluebirds, I think they have been playing above themselves so far this season, and against a genuine promotion chasing opponent may struggle a little. But you never know, to come away with a draw would be great.:)

2-2 draw away to the 4th place team - you'd have to have been the happier of the two sides with that result I'd imagine? Gives your lads confidence that they can match it with the best on their own turf.

As for Barrow - our form has been a bit up and down of late and if your boys play with confidence and belief, who knows what they can accomplish. :)

Every drink I could think of came up as vegan friendly. Which ones normally aren't?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes that's more of a reflection of how far the industry has come in recent years. And the practices they use.

But still, many drinks wouldn't be vegan. For example, those that use honey (Beez Neez I think the brand is called). Then there are some red wines that use carmine (crushed beetles) as a food dye/coloring. And then there's drinks like Baileys that have milk in it as a creamer.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more but overall, there's plenty to choose from if you're a vegan who likes to drink (which I'm not haha, chocolate is my vice) :D

Sorry for the late reply. Yes that's more of a reflection of how far the industry has come in recent years. And the practices they use.

But still, many drinks wouldn't be vegan. For example, those that use honey (Beez Neez I think the brand is called). Then there are some red wines that use carmine (crushed beetles) as a food dye/coloring. And then there's drinks like Baileys that have milk in it as a creamer.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more but overall, there's plenty to choose from if you're a vegan who likes to drink (which I'm not haha, chocolate is my vice) :D

I'm presuming that is the dairy-free chocolate you're talking about.

Reminds me I should be after some sugar-free ones.

Carlisle defeated Colchester 2-0 to move into 3rd. This is our 11th league game without a loss, our best ever start to a league season.

Early days but promotion might be on the cards!

Not only that but Barrow got a 0-0 draw to Forest Green - dare I say they'd be the happier with that result. :p

Think I saw they are 6th on the table (we are 2nd). :thumbsu:

4-0 away win at the league's most in form side Aldershot puts us on top of the world table!

Hopefully there to stay! :D

Carlisle won again, this time 3-0 away to Morecombe (who were 10th, but drop to 14th). That's now 12 games unbeaten to start the league season, in fact our only loss in any competition was away to Championship Team Derby County in the League Cup, and we lost that 14-13 on penalties. Despite the lack of defeats we are still only third behind Plymouth, who after losing to us (1-0 at home) in round two have won nine of their last ten, and Doncaster who we drew 2-2 (away) a few weeks ago. We have also played the fourth placed team and favourites for the title, Portsmouth, in round one and held them to a draw (away). It has been a very positive start by the Cumbrians.

Defensively we are looking the best we have been for a decade, guys like Atkinson, Raynes, Ellis, Grainger, Gillesphey and Miller are building a very solid back four and are working extremely well together, and in Gillespie we have our best goalkeeper since Westwood in the late 00's when we were fighting against clubs like Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Swansea for promotion to the Championship. Offensively, we've had a slight set back with injury to our leading scorer Wyke, but Adams, Kennedy (who scored twice this morning) and Obehre are starting to find the back of the net a little more regularly which I hope will continue as we have a favourable month coming up were we can open a bit of gap between us and the other clubs chasing automatic promotion.

Next we have Hartlepool (13th) at home, followed by Stevenage (21st) away, Crawley (6th) at home, Newport (last) away and Exeter (23rd) at home. If current form is anything to go I'd hope we will finish with five victories from these games.

3-0 away win to North Ferriby. Puts us 2 points clear on top and I think is our 4th or 5th clean sheet in a row. Hitting some good form!

AFC Wimbledon have climbed above MK Dons for the first time in their short history. I'd love to go and watch a game between those two, reckon it would be pretty intense with the hatred AFC Wimbledon fans have of MK Dons.

Saw that on facebook earlier as well.

Still have to thank Fryer Tuck for his epic education essay from the Owner's thread (IIRC) about the history and bad blood between those clubs. :p

Barrow had a 3-0 win at home against Maidstone to move into 4th.
Cumbria's second team is performing almost as well as it's premier team, they have now gone 10 games without defeat.

Barrow had a 3-0 win at home against Maidstone to move into 4th.
Cumbria's second team is performing almost as well as it's premier team, they have now gone 10 games without defeat.

Carlisle should loan out some of their young players to Barrow to help them out while giving them experience (if they don't already).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlisle should loan out some of their young players to Barrow to help them out while giving them experience (if they don't already).

Carlisle have stronger links with the Workington Reds who are currently in the Northern Premier League, 7th Tier in the Football pyramid IIRC. I think we have had some youngsters playing for them in the past, but I don't think we have done it for the last couple of years.

Carlisle have stronger links with the Workington Reds who are currently in the Northern Premier League, 7th Tier in the Football pyramid IIRC. I think we have had some youngsters playing for them in the past, but I don't think we have done it for the last couple of years.

Ah fair enough - would be good if you guys could help out Barrow - could be a mutually beneficial arrangement for the Cumbrian clubs. :p

Do you guys play any preseason friendlies or anything like that? I think Newcastle (or the U21s) usually play a preseason friendly with Gateshead (local non league side in the Conference).

Ah fair enough - would be good if you guys could help out Barrow - could be a mutually beneficial arrangement for the Cumbrian clubs. :p

Do you guys play any preseason friendlies or anything like that? I think Newcastle (or the U21s) usually play a preseason friendly with Gateshead (local non league side in the Conference).

We play a preseason match against Workington every year. We also play in the Cumberland Cup against clubs like Workington, Penrith, Gretna, Aspatria and Carlisle City. I think there are 36 teams in this seasons cup, but I don't think Barrow are included. It is a competition for "traditional" Cumberland Clubs and Barrow only became a part of Cumbria when it came into existence in 1974 after the merger of Cumberland, Westmoreland and Furness.

Saw that on facebook earlier as well.

Still have to thank Fryer Tuck for his epic education essay from the Owner's thread (IIRC) about the history and bad blood between those clubs. :p

Oh you, lol.

Just on a whim that. Amazing what can come from it. Of course, we did cover a lot of topics. If anyon was every curious about a certain mystery, I wouldn't mind a crack at that!

Carlisle United's greatest ever start to a season was back in 2004 in it's only season in the Conference when it started 13 games without defeat. Today that record has been equalled with a 3-2 win over Hartlepool.

Third placed Carlisle are now 3pts ahead of fourth placed Luton Town, hopefully the top three are beginning to open a gap between the rest of the teams.

Also with Bradford losing this morning only Tottenham and Carlisle remain undefeated in the top 4 tiers.

Last edited:
2-1 loss for FGR in the FA Cup 4th round qualifying match against Sutton United. Not too fussed about it, means we can hopefully focus on promotion! :p

2-1 loss for FGR in the FA Cup 4th round qualifying match against Sutton United. Not too fussed about it, means we can hopefully focus on promotion! :p

At least one of our clubs is focusing on the league.

That reminds me, I need to do some serious updating to the FA Cup topic when I get the chance.

NEW RECORD - 14 Games unbeaten to start the season. We haven't started this well in league or cenfernce football. Ever.
Carlisle defeated Steveage 2-1 to move into second place, 4pts behind Plymouth Argyle.

3-0 win over bottom of the table Guiseley. 4 points clear with the best GD in the division by a small bit.

Won't get too excited just yet but Toon and FGR looking good so far!

Off to Alty tonight. New manager hasn't done a whole lot for results, currently 7 points from safety with a game in hand. So no time for a win like the present, at home against the bottom side Bradford Park Avenue

And guess what made an appearance at the half time break.

b7e0b85379d1e9281837dd2c6894ffec.jpg

Alty 1-0 up. Cracking team goal too. Full of quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back