2016/17 Melbourne Victory Thread - It just wasn't to be

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spent most of this afternoon/this evening at my neighbours going away party before watching this on delay. So apologies if my musings are a little... well, drunken. (I'm really sad that they're leaving!)

To be honest the biggest takeaway tonight is surely that the Wanderers are trash. Sure, it's hard to identify who our best 3-5 players were tonight - but that is, I think, more to do with the Wanderers being crap than it it is the Victory being good.

Even despite scoring a hattrick, I think the 3rd goal is about the only one that Berisha really had to work for. The first was a tap in due to Dudmayne's ineptitude, and the 2nd was due to a cracking cross from Ingham and a result of some crap defending.

That said, it's good to see us starting to come together. The back 4 (5 if you include Thomas) looked pretty good for most of tonight. I think Valeri played his best game of the season shielding that back 4. I think FBK and Beister were pretty good - although, as I will say in the general A-League thread when I get around to it, I think players like Beister really do prove that the A-League is better than a lot of people give it credit for. This guy has come from the Bundesliga, he's taken over a month before getting a start... and he absolutely doesn't look any better than most of the good players in the league.

I've set an alarm in my phone to buy a ticket to the derby next week, cos if Muscat is any sort of a decent manager he'll sort out the technical issues that cost us the first match, and next weeks derby will be a much, much better match than the first derby and the FFA semi. If they pull our pants down next week? I think I will finally have to join the ranks of fans calling for Muscat's head. To have watched both sides over the last 3 weeks or so, the Heartless are no better than us.

I spent most of this afternoon/this evening at my neighbours going away party before watching this on delay. So apologies if my musings are a little... well, drunken. (I'm really sad that they're leaving!)

To be honest the biggest takeaway tonight is surely that the Wanderers are trash. Sure, it's hard to identify who our best 3-5 players were tonight - but that is, I think, more to do with the Wanderers being crap than it it is the Victory being good.

Even despite scoring a hattrick, I think the 3rd goal is about the only one that Berisha really had to work for. The first was a tap in due to Dudmayne's ineptitude, and the 2nd was due to a cracking cross from Ingham and a result of some crap defending.

That said, it's good to see us starting to come together. The back 4 (5 if you include Thomas) looked pretty good for most of tonight. I think Valeri played his best game of the season shielding that back 4. I think FBK and Beister were pretty good - although, as I will say in the general A-League thread when I get around to it, I think players like Beister really do prove that the A-League is better than a lot of people give it credit for. This guy has come from the Bundesliga, he's taken over a month before getting a start... and he absolutely doesn't look any better than most of the good players in the league.

I've set an alarm in my phone to buy a ticket to the derby next week, cos if Muscat is any sort of a decent manager he'll sort out the technical issues that cost us the first match, and next weeks derby will be a much, much better match than the first derby and the FFA semi. If they pull our pants down next week? I think I will finally have to join the ranks of fans calling for Muscat's head. To have watched both sides over the last 3 weeks or so, the Heartless are no better than us.

I thought Beister was good tonight from what I saw and he at least hit one from long range on target to provide an assist unlike Troisi lol.
He still looks like he isn't fit enough which is a worry, he was puffing after 6min ffs! Players always take time adjusting to our league because its very physical and clumpy compared to the big European leagues, as well as having to deal with the elements in the weather and crap referee's.

If Maxi can get himself fit I'm sure he'll adjust quick enough he has shown glimpses out wide and as an Attacking Mid tonight.

Last edited:
So who's going to the Derby Saturday?

I'm giving it a miss this year, my mates that normally come to the games with me all have s**t on, so I've decided stuff it! I'll watch it at the local.

Feel a lot more confident we can take them on this time, I don't think City have played anywhere near as good since that first Derby and we've improved enormously, hopefully Rojas is back too.
Still it's a derby and them campaigners lift every time they play us, it seem they only pull the arsey performances against us.

Get use to a lot of grubby pull downs, hard tackles and play acting treatments, it's what those scum campaigners are good at.

I'm giving it a miss this year, my mates that normally come to the games with me all have s**t on, so I've decided stuff it! I'll watch it at the local.

Feel a lot more confident we can take them on this time, I don't think City have played anywhere near as good since that first Derby and we've improved enormously, hopefully Rojas is back too.
Still it's a derby and them campaigners lift every time they play us, it seem they only pull the arsey performances against us.

Get use to a lot of grubby pull downs, hard tackles and play acting treatments, it's what those scum campaigners are good at.
I'll be there mate! Where is your private tour of the Sth End?:p

What are ticket sales looking like?

I'll be there in aisle 33. Can't wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back