2016/17 Perth Glory Thread-20 Years of Glory..Castro for Premier!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be ready for round 1. I don't want to start the season with Warren at LB.

20799283_1447852238644601_5026119642680989761_n.jpg

We beat Cockburn City 4-0 tonight. I went along and we didn't play all that well but got the win in the end. Harold opened the scoring early to give us a 1-0 lead at half time. Chianese made it 2 after a rebound fell to him and Nichols got the 3rd with a nice finish in the bottom corner from about 20-25 yards. The whole team (other than Feely in goal) came off for the NPL boys after about 60-65 minutes. One of the young guys made it 4 with about 10 minutes to go and that is how it stayed.

Castro was at the ground so it is good to know he is back and ready to train. We overheard Kenny talking to one of the NPL guys about training during the week and he said something about "the Spanish lads" which could mean that Torres gets here later this week or early next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Torres official.

21317575_1464088677020957_3217185410444015603_n.jpg

Perth Glory is delighted to announce the signing of Xavi Torres as the club continues to build its squad for the 2017-18 Hyundai A-League campaign.

The 30-year-old Spaniard spent last season playing in La Liga for Sporting Gijon having previously gained a wealth of top-flight and European experience through spells at Barcelona, Malaga, Levante, Getafe and Real Betis.

During his time at Barcelona, he featured regularly for the reserve team coached by Pep Guardiola and made his senior debut for the Catalan giants in 2009.

Versatile enough to play both in midfield and at the back, Torres is renowned for his strength, positional sense and excellent range of passing.

A former teammate of Diego Castro's at Getafe, he comes highly recommended by last season's Most Glorious Player and along with fellow-new recruit Andreu, swells the club's Spanish contingent to three.

He flew into Perth with his partner over the weekend and is clearly excited by the prospect of beginning a new chapter in his career.

"I'm really excited to be here," he said. "I have heard good things about the club and the league from Diego [Castro] and Kenny [Lowe] and now I want to win things with Perth Glory."

Torres has signed a one-year deal subject to international and medical clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back