2016/17 Summer of Cricket - AUS vs India 2nd test- 4th innings

Remove this Banner Ad

Listened to the Triple M cricket coverage today and surprisingly enjoyed it. Particularly impressed with Isa Guha, reckon she's a very good commentator.

Also particularly happy for Renshaw who played a real test innings. Whilst Warner will get most of the plaudits for his innings (probably deservedly so), Renshaw again showed that he's more than just the plodder that people who should know better have complained about (looking at you Brett Lee) by gritting out the early going and punishing once he got his eye in. The top 5 really looks exciting for the next few years, just need to get 6 and the 'keeper sorted.
He'll knock a double tomorrow and honestly it'll be the finest Test innings knocked by an Australian for a while. None of Warner playing the white ball game in a Test, all about playing the shots as they come and not being utterly ludicrous.

Also watch out for Will Pucovski. 18 years old. Knocked a record 650 runs in the U19 Champs pre-Xmas and has followed with a 165 for Melbourne. If he keeps it up he will be in the Test side within 2 years.

The 6 spot is a problem but honestly if we can find a keeper who can bat I would put him at 6 and consider Pattinson or Starc at 7. Or bring back Agar.

Really think we have a couple keepers in Renshaw and Handscombe, just need a 6 and 'ideally' a better spinner than Lyon.
Arjun Nair only 18 years old is our future spinner, probably a couple of years away but looks promising. can bowl and bat

Also watch out for Will Pucovski. 18 years old. Knocked a record 650 runs in the U19 Champs pre-Xmas and has followed with a 165 for Melbourne. If he keeps it up he will be in the Test side within 2 years.

The 6 spot is a problem but honestly if we can find a keeper who can bat I would put him at 6 and consider Pattinson or Starc at 7. Or bring back Agar.
You've identified his major problem. He doesn't play for NSW.

Ideally, Faulkner wouldn't have been a knucklehead in England and would've been our allrounder at 6 for the last couple of years. Hopefully he continues his strong Shield form this season.

Really think we have a couple keepers in Renshaw and Handscombe, just need a 6 and 'ideally' a better spinner than Lyon.

Reckon it's too big an ask to be a test 'keeper and opener and I'd be concerned that it would affect Handscomb's batting.

Ideally, Faulkner wouldn't have been a knucklehead in England and would've been our allrounder at 6 for the last couple of years. Hopefully he continues his strong Shield form this season.

Reckon it's too big an ask to be a test 'keeper and opener and I'd be concerned that it would affect Handscomb's batting.

I don't want Handscombe to be keeper or open the batting???

Haha I read it the same mate but he means keeper as in someone to keep there spot

You've identified his major problem. He doesn't play for NSW.

That's a lazy statement mate
Ferguson, Mennie, Cartwright, Renshaw, Maddison Handscomb are the blokes who have debuted this summer

Only 1 from NSW
Faulkner, Voges, Nevill, Bird, Burns, Khawaja, Marsh in the last 2 years, 1 NSW

Plenty of spots available for everyone
The NSW who have been picked Warner, Starc, Hazelwood, Smith are the only reasons we win
Sure there have been 2 failures in Maddison and Nevill but every other state has has theirs as well

I don't want Handscombe to be keeper or open the batting???

Haha, sorry. Because Handscomb has done some wicket keeping I thought you were suggesting either he or Renshaw could 'keep for Australia. :)
We definitely look like we've found something pretty special in those boys, a trip to India will certainly sort them out though.

Ferguson, Mennie, Cartwright, Renshaw, Maddison Handscomb are the blokes who have debuted this summer

Only 1 from NSW

The NSW who have been picked Warner, Starc, Hazelwood, Smith are the only reasons we win
Sure there have been 2 failures in Maddison and Nevill but every other state has has theirs as well

Nevill is originally Victorian too...

Haha, sorry. Because Handscomb has done some wicket keeping I thought you were suggesting either he or Renshaw could 'keep for Australia. :)
We definitely look like we've found something pretty special in those boys, a trip to India will certainly sort them out though.

Nevill is originally Victorian too...

Exactly, the only NSW bias is from blokes like Clarke, Starc, Warner, Smith being plucked before they were ready
Yet all 4 have been or will be amongst our very good to best players by the time they retire

Only 1 from NSW

Mennie is from NSW, as are Khawaja and Bird. Nevill is a Mexican.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mennie is from NSW, as are Khawaja and Bird. Nevill is a Mexican.

I ment when selected, did forget about Khawaja moving states though
Does it really change my point though?? Khawaja and Bird both deserved to be selected and Mennie was only really in front of Sayers

I ment when selected, did forget about Khawaja moving states though
Does it really change my point though?? Khawaja and Bird both deserved to be selected and Mennie was only really in front of Sayers

NSW XI should be the Australian XI. Former servants and products of NSW may also be considered should there be no two-legged folk with enough digits to hold a stick in Sydney.

Re: people being plucked before they were ready see Mitchell Johnson, Watto, Cameron White, Maxwell, Wade and any person who once tweaked the odd ball in the post Warne era.

Another excellent innings from Azhar Ali today. He can deservedly leave our shores with his head held high when their tour has finished, has been enormously impressive. Really happy to see Younis bat well today too. Has been a great bat for a long time.

Where yesterday was Warner's day, today definitely wasn't...

NSW XI should be the Australian XI. Former servants and products of NSW may also be considered should there be no two-legged folk with enough digits to hold a stick in Sydney.

Re: people being plucked before they were ready see Mitchell Johnson, Watto, Cameron White, Maxwell, Wade and any person who once tweaked the odd ball in the post Warne era.
Pretty much this is what the history is. With few exceptions it's only NS Welshmen who get a crack.

And I'm still bitter about Hodge. Was the most capable batsman outside of the Australian side by a long long way and was capable of rolling the arm over too, yet in the post-Warne era they continued to give matches to Watson when he couldn't get on the park. Completely ****ed.

Pretty much this is what the history is. With few exceptions it's only NS Welshmen who get a crack.

And I'm still bitter about Hodge. Was the most capable batsman outside of the Australian side by a long long way and was capable of rolling the arm over too, yet in the post-Warne era they continued to give matches to Watson when he couldn't get on the park. Completely stuffed.

To be fair it's because we produce the best cricketers.

I know a lot of you blokes are the hoity toity traditionalists types that only watch Tests ... but if you're not going out of your way to tune in to the Lynn and McCullum show you're kidding yourselves! Just incredible hitting

Poor McCullum. 50 off 31 would usually win man of the match honours but Lynn was just otherworldly!!

I know a lot of you blokes are the hoity toity traditionalists types that only watch Tests ... but if you're not going out of your way to tune in to the Lynn and McCullum show you're kidding yourselves! Just incredible hitting

Was quite impressive. If we're hoity toity traditionalist types, does that make you T20 folk Johnny-come-lately blow-ins with ADHD? Some people respect someone who can do a job for 10 hours more than belting (a lot of) pills out of the park in a shits and giggles match. Each to their own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back