News 2016-2017 general news thread

Thanks Dash. Very interesting stuff.

In your conversations, did anyone indicate what they thought Hardwick's role or future might be?
Dimma played down back for a large portion of the game . Had no discussion around him .

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great reporting guys!
It's always good to get a first hand account & different takes on the BH boys.
Thanks

caseman2

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2008
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
College basketballer Michael Knoll earns spot on Box Hill’s VFL list despite having never played football
Toby Prime, Lilydale & Yarra Valley Leader
April 13, 2017 12:00am
BASKETBALLER Michael Knoll has gone from having never touched a football to landing a spot on a VFL list.

The 203cm, 100kg centre and power forward has given away basketball to pursue a football career.

The Kilsyth resident’s first competitive game was just a few weeks ago in a practice game for Box Hill, who have included the 24-year-old on their 2017 list.

Knoll’s basketball career took him all the way to America’s college system, where he spent four seasons, including one as captain, at St Ambrose University in Iowa.

When Knoll returned to Australia last year, he tried to get his foot in the door at an NBL club.

But when that didn’t work out he decided he would take a punt and give footy a go.

While Knoll is still trying to bed down the fundamentals, he knew his towering height would been seen as an advantage when he arrived at Box Hill City Oval.

“My brother was always on my case about giving footy a crack once I finished college basketball,” Knoll said.

“I sent an email out to Box Hill saying I was interested in playing.”

Box Hill offered him the opportunity to come down for a training session last year before inviting him back for the pre-season, where he suitably impressed.

Box Hill football manager Stewart Ward, who first received that email from Knoll, said he showed enough natural ability to earn a spot on the Hawks’ list.

“His ability to read the ball, compete and as basketballers do, that peripheral vision they seem to have to know what is going on around them to give themselves that little bit of time and space,” Ward said.

“We had some pretty honest conversations that it was going to be a journey for him and I know he has aspirations to try and break into AFL.”

His basketball career was a meteoric rise — just a couple of years after first playing representative basketball at Kilsyth he was plying his trade in the States.
He’s now hoping his football career will follow a similar path.

“I didn’t really know what to expect but once I got into things and I felt pretty confident in the pre-season so I was hopeful I would get a spot in the end,” he said.

“I’m thankful they gave me a chance.”

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Thanks Dash. Very interesting stuff.

In your conversations, did anyone indicate what they thought Hardwick's role or future might be?

Expect we will find out Monday afternoon. I just hope we aren't trying to turn all of our instinctive young forwards into defenders...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

North Ballarat have been kicked out of the VFL.

I suppose winning just 1 game is not good enough. Too bad the AFL does not apply to North Melbourne!

http://vfl.com.au/north-ballarat-decision/

"
NORTH BALLARAT DECISION
AFL Victoria has today informed North Ballarat FC it will not have its Peter Jackson VFL licence continued for season 2018.

The Roosters’ board was recently requested to make a submission to AFL Victoria to address questions on several licence criteria."

Thursday 14 September 2017

http://vfl.com.au/frankston-return-vfl/

FRANKSTON TO RETURN TO VFL
Frankston Football Club will return to the Peter Jackson VFL in season 2018 after having its licence application granted by AFL Victoria.

The club presented a strong case for a return to the competition to AFL Victoria Board and Executive representatives on July 24, with a focus not only on re-establishing the Dolphins’ important role in the talent pathway in the south-east region, but also a long-term management and financial strategy for the club.

Bruce, I believe this will answer your question :)

Tony

Mars Stadium was specifically mentioned by AFL Vic and I believe they are applying the same strategy that worked with Frankston. Get your house in order and we will welcome you back.

Some tough love but for a team to only win 1 game, why not. Makes it a better, stronger comp in the end.

Thursday 14 September 2017

http://vfl.com.au/frankston-return-vfl/

FRANKSTON TO RETURN TO VFL
Frankston Football Club will return to the Peter Jackson VFL in season 2018 after having its licence application granted by AFL Victoria.

The club presented a strong case for a return to the competition to AFL Victoria Board and Executive representatives on July 24, with a focus not only on re-establishing the Dolphins’ important role in the talent pathway in the south-east region, but also a long-term management and financial strategy for the club.

Bruce, I believe this will answer your question :)

Thanks -Mr Rust;)

We could be in for an interesting off season with the AFL delisting of Sam Collins and Sam Gibson who were both leaders at the BHH before being drafted. Also Eastern Ranges Aaron Mullet has been delisted. If we can sign up two of these players and have better luck with injuries 2018 should be a very good year. I thought our performance making the finals this year was outstanding given the large number of injuries throughout the season.

Back