News 2016-2017 general news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Tasmanian and original Gold Coast Suns squad member and 17yo selection Luke Russell has moved to Melbourne to continue his career in the VFL and just happens to be living with the J-Bomb!!! Could I be sniffing a new Stangas recruit?

Also happens to be great mates with Mav Weller so Sandy may be another possibility.

Has signed with the Bullants due to his standing relationship with Josh Fraser from when they were at the Suns together.

http://northernbluesfc.com.au/?p=3751

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good pickups. But none appear to be key position forwards. This is one area they have struggled with over the years. Bryce Retzlaff is the only true full forward they have recruited in the last 15 years, You'd then have to go back to Darron Wilkinson, Dale Carroll & Paul Bolton. whilst Grimley was adequate, his work ethic was questionable at times. Any of the Hawthorn listed forwards who show any promise move into Hawthorn's team (eg Sicily). Good to have a young developing list, but which Box Hill tall forwards are going to step up and present. Can't see them matching it with the other top sides next year, even with a strong midfield & backline. They need goalkickers.

Training resumes on Friday so the list should start to take shape over the next few weeks. I understand Billy Gowers has decided to sign with Footscray because he thought it would be his best option to provide another chance to play in the AFL

Thanks HH. Fairly dumb choice from Gowers. Doggies have a pretty good list. I would head to tigs or pies, their lists have holes everywhere.

Since 2010 I recall the BHH list has seen a turnover of around 20 to 26 players every year. I called in to training last Wednesday and was very pleased to count 26 players from last year's list. Based on the 2016 B & F voting the list is in very good shape given the only players to leave who finished in the top 32 of the count are Iles [2nd], Lock [10th], Lawlor [16th], Gordon [22nd] and Soccio [30th]. It is worth noting the last four players all played games in the development side in the second half of the season and were replaced by the likes of Kennedy and O'Donnell returning from ACL injuries and talented young prospects Brolic and Switkowski. In addition the top 15 players in the premiership development side B & F voting were all training.

The training involved a match simulation. There were a few recruits who caught my attention however at this stage I do not have any names. There were over 50 players at training so the list is yet to be finalized for what should be a strong playing group.

Last edited:
Since 2010 I recall the BHH list has seen a turnover of around 20 to 26 players every year. I called in to training last Wednesday and was very pleased to count 26 players from last year's list. Based on the 2016 B & F voting the list is in very good shape given the only players to leave who finished in the top 32 of the count are Iles [2nd], Lock [10th], Lawlor [16th], Gordon [22nd] and Soccio [30th]. It is worth noting the last four players all played games in the development side in the second half of the season and were replaced by the likes of Kennedy and O'Donnell returning from ACL injuries and talented young prospects Brolic and Switkowski. In addition the top 15 players in the premiership development side B & F voting were all training.

The training involved a match simulation. There were a few recruits who caught my attention however at this stage I do not have any names. There were over 50 players at training so the list is yet to be finalized for what should be a strong playing group.

Keep up the great work. When you get any info of who is surprising or whatever be great hearing from you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back