News 2016-2017 general news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a very jump the gun reactionary approach that I don't normally subscribe to but this year is about trialling things so yeah I'm with you TH

I would usually be the last to even contemplate knee jerk reaction, but I really think the time is right. Or kids need exposure now.

Thanks SLB for the comprehensive report, it is much appreciated as I could not get up there myself.

Last edited:
I like Dan Howe too. He didn't get a whole heap of it yesterday but I rated his work in close. He's very clean with his hands at stoppages and likes to get his hands dirty.

There was a moment in the last yesterday where he dumped a bombers player and gave as good as he got when Hocking came in to remonstrate.

One or two more runs for the Stangers and I'd like to see him get an extended run at it in the ones.

I like Dan Howe too. He didn't get a whole heap of it yesterday but I rated his work in close. He's very clean with his hands at stoppages and likes to get his hands dirty.

There was a moment in the last yesterday where he dumped a bombers player and gave as good as he got when Hocking came in to remonstrate.

One or two more runs for the Stangers and I'd like to see him get an extended run at it in the ones.
That hit was deemed a dangerous tackle by the ump. Bullshit call. Was a beautiful tackle and should not have been penalised for a textbook tackle. If the Essendon player leaves the ground to avoid the tackler, which is a stupid idea, the Essendon player has to suffer the consequences, not be rewarded for it.

Thanks SLB. Did WhiteX do any time on the ball or did he just play down back?
He pretty much played entirely on the ball with some resting on the half backline if I remember correctly.

In the first quarter the Essendon player tried to physically quell him and the end result was WX being clean and finding teammates. Not sure if it was a coaching instruction, but after 1/4 time, Essendon seemed to let WX get the ball, which ultimately resulted in copious turnovers.

Would love to hear that brand played and starred, please help
He really stood out like a sore thumb from where I saw it. Was poor in a couple of contests under the high ball and butchered it a couple of times when he got hold of it. I think he can forgiven somewhat for the amount of footy he's missed this pre-season. A long way off the ones based on yesterday though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a beautifully sunny day at True Value Solar oval.
Box Hill fielded are far stronger side that their opponents and it showed on the scoreboard for three quarters. While the win was less than a goal, the scoreboard flattered Essendon due to BHH going very young in the midfield and using a KPP non-Hawthorn player as the ruckman.

Players that stood out:
Hanrahan - I'm adopting him as my boy (take note, H2F). For a rookie he was outstanding all game. Beautifully balance and his skills and decision making were top shelf. He positions himself around the contest and around the ground very well and is clean when he gets it.
Stand out moment was when the ball was kicked to him 1-on-1 on the wing with Mirra about to run past him. Hanrahan was going to get crunched, but he kept his balance in the air and used soft wrists to guide the ball to Mirra and hit him on the chest. Well executed and well thoughtout because a normal footballer would go for the contested mark.

Miles - Chief of the backline. Started or was a key component of the forward thrusts from the backline. Very vocal and cool under pressure. Should have played for Hawthorn.

Glass - Played as a HBF with a defensive role. For the whole game, he was my BOG. Has stepped up to the next level seamlessly and his skills were more than up to standard. Composed under pressure and knows his limitations. Hard to think 12 months ago, he was still learning the skills. Exciting prospect.

Fitzgibbons -Dominant ruckman in the first half. Destroyed Bellchambers and was useful around the ground. Played forward in the 2nd half.

The rest.
WX - Very good first quarter. BOG. Must have listened to John Farnam's 'Burn For You' at the quarter time break. Burnt the ball like he was trying to invent a new way to start fire after quarter time. Did it under little or no pressure too.
Brand - Defended well, but his skills were rusty.
Lewis - Played the second half only. Played ruck in the 3rd quarter and broke even with Bellchambers, which I see as a good win. Needs to learn to run harder both ways, but plenty of encouraging signs as a fwd/ruck prospect.
Burton - No effort in the first quarter and a bit. Started forward, but got moved to defense in the 2nd quarter and that switched him on. In the 3rd he went back forward and was BOG in that quarter. Hard running up to the wings before turning his opponents around and burning them off resulting in 3 easy goals. He's a forward if he's allowed to lead, but we all know that's poo-poo'd by Alistair.

Hodge - Blow out for him. Nothing special, but did what he needed to do. One thing that stood out to me was how quiet he was. Almost as if he was sooking and thought he was too good to be playing VFL. When he played it in 2013, he could be heard over the top of everyone else plus the crowd from over the other side of the ground. Today, with no crowd there, I didn't hear him.

Cousins - Didn't see much of him. Don't think he played more than a half?

Howe - Okay. Nothing of note stood out from him.

Willsmore - Weak as piss. Could have put a deck chair out there and the deck chair would have had more posessions and covered more km's on the gps.

Toby - His arms have some meat on them. Still tiny around the hips. He was very good today. Competed all day and crash hard. Wanted to lead, but you could see him start and then stop once his mind clicked that Alistair doesn't select forwards who lead. Took a good pack mark in the 2nd Q at the back on a 5-man pack. Encouraging signs, but until forwards are allowed to lead, I can see him being able to play a role for Hawthorn. Could be very good at AFL for a club that allows forwards to lead into space. Tim, if you're reading this, do your research, circle the clubs that allow this and seek a trade.

Harry Morrison - Only played the second half. Hard to get a read on him as he was having to rove off a KPP, VFL- listed, makeshift ruckman.

Nash - Well off it. Will play VFL 2nds this year. Has the body and athleticism, but not the brains yet. Was his first full game of Aussie Rules football, so his game is full of excuses and that's more than fair.

Lovell - Hardly sighted.

Hardwick - No defensive side to his game. Offered very little. Played up the ground and when he hit the ground, he would often just lie there and watch. Was worrying.

The BHH player:
Mirra - Vintage. Had a few goes starting on the wing. Only negative was he butchered the ball from that tap I mentioned from Hanrahan.

Moore - Nice pick up from the BH recruiters. Provides a mature body with an experienced VFL football brain. Was very good today.

Hams - Good pick up. Played well. Could be a goal-scoring mid. Knows where the goals are and knows where to run to be dangerous at this level.

Fisher - Athletic, but only played a half. You always know what you're going to get with him.

The rest were nothing of note, but serviceable.

Hit me up with any Q's if you have 'em.
Better slip into Specsavers tomorrow old mate because Willsmore
It was a beautifully sunny day at True Value Solar oval.
Box Hill fielded are far stronger side that their opponents and it showed on the scoreboard for three quarters. While the win was less than a goal, the scoreboard flattered Essendon due to BHH going very young in the midfield and using a KPP non-Hawthorn player as the ruckman.

Players that stood out:
Hanrahan - I'm adopting him as my boy (take note, H2F). For a rookie he was outstanding all game. Beautifully balance and his skills and decision making were top shelf. He positions himself around the contest and around the ground very well and is clean when he gets it.
Stand out moment was when the ball was kicked to him 1-on-1 on the wing with Mirra about to run past him. Hanrahan was going to get crunched, but he kept his balance in the air and used soft wrists to guide the ball to Mirra and hit him on the chest. Well executed and well thoughtout because a normal footballer would go for the contested mark.

Miles - Chief of the backline. Started or was a key component of the forward thrusts from the backline. Very vocal and cool under pressure. Should have played for Hawthorn.

Glass - Played as a HBF with a defensive role. For the whole game, he was my BOG. Has stepped up to the next level seamlessly and his skills were more than up to standard. Composed under pressure and knows his limitations. Hard to think 12 months ago, he was still learning the skills. Exciting prospect.

Fitzgibbons -Dominant ruckman in the first half. Destroyed Bellchambers and was useful around the ground. Played forward in the 2nd half.

The rest.
WX - Very good first quarter. BOG. Must have listened to John Farnam's 'Burn For You' at the quarter time break. Burnt the ball like he was trying to invent a new way to start fire after quarter time. Did it under little or no pressure too.
Brand - Defended well, but his skills were rusty.
Lewis - Played the second half only. Played ruck in the 3rd quarter and broke even with Bellchambers, which I see as a good win. Needs to learn to run harder both ways, but plenty of encouraging signs as a fwd/ruck prospect.
Burton - No effort in the first quarter and a bit. Started forward, but got moved to defense in the 2nd quarter and that switched him on. In the 3rd he went back forward and was BOG in that quarter. Hard running up to the wings before turning his opponents around and burning them off resulting in 3 easy goals. He's a forward if he's allowed to lead, but we all know that's poo-poo'd by Alistair.

Hodge - Blow out for him. Nothing special, but did what he needed to do. One thing that stood out to me was how quiet he was. Almost as if he was sooking and thought he was too good to be playing VFL. When he played it in 2013, he could be heard over the top of everyone else plus the crowd from over the other side of the ground. Today, with no crowd there, I didn't hear him.

Cousins - Didn't see much of him. Don't think he played more than a half?

Howe - Okay. Nothing of note stood out from him.

Willsmore - Weak as piss. Could have put a deck chair out there and the deck chair would have had more posessions and covered more km's on the gps.

Toby - His arms have some meat on them. Still tiny around the hips. He was very good today. Competed all day and crash hard. Wanted to lead, but you could see him start and then stop once his mind clicked that Alistair doesn't select forwards who lead. Took a good pack mark in the 2nd Q at the back on a 5-man pack. Encouraging signs, but until forwards are allowed to lead, I can see him being able to play a role for Hawthorn. Could be very good at AFL for a club that allows forwards to lead into space. Tim, if you're reading this, do your research, circle the clubs that allow this and seek a trade.

Harry Morrison - Only played the second half. Hard to get a read on him as he was having to rove off a KPP, VFL- listed, makeshift ruckman.

Nash - Well off it. Will play VFL 2nds this year. Has the body and athleticism, but not the brains yet. Was his first full game of Aussie Rules football, so his game is full of excuses and that's more than fair.

Lovell - Hardly sighted.

Hardwick - No defensive side to his game. Offered very little. Played up the ground and when he hit the ground, he would often just lie there and watch. Was worrying.

The BHH player:
Mirra - Vintage. Had a few goes starting on the wing. Only negative was he butchered the ball from that tap I mentioned from Hanrahan.

Moore - Nice pick up from the BH recruiters. Provides a mature body with an experienced VFL football brain. Was very good today.

Hams - Good pick up. Played well. Could be a goal-scoring mid. Knows where the goals are and knows where to run to be dangerous at this level.

Fisher - Athletic, but only played a half. You always know what you're going to get with him.

The rest were nothing of note, but serviceable.

Hit me up with any Q's if you have 'em.
You better slip into Specsavers tomorrow old mate because Willsmore didn't play.

He played. I'm not going to argue. If Newtothegame thinks he didn't play, that's his call, but what I saw on numerous occasions from close up was a player that was wearing Willsmore's number, who looked exactly like Willsmore who never got out of 2nd gear.

He played. I'm not going to argue. If Newtothegame thinks he didn't play, that's his call, but what I saw on numerous occasions from close up was a player that was wearing Willsmore's number, who looked exactly like Willsmore who never got out of 2nd gear.
I don't think he played, I know he didn't play ! Just admit your wrong and you made some bullshit remarks about a player that was told to stay away if sick. You f##ked up, now own your mistake.

I don't think he played, I know he didn't play ! Just admit your wrong and you made some bullshit remarks about a player that was told to stay away if sick. You f##ked up, now own your mistake.

Settle down.

Being overly aggressive to another poster will bring you nothing but grief, regardless of whether you are right or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back