Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Noticed we're missing this thread.

Pre-season starts in a week, who will you be keeping a close eye on? Brad Crouch for me. Got his first taste of finals last season and, just like Matt did, i'm hoping he takes another step the following season. He needs an injury-free pre-season for that to happen though.

Key post-season dates
The key football dates to put in your calendar over the next few months.

Monday, November 21 – Pre-season training starts for 1-4 year players, women’s team pre-season training begins

Friday, November 25 –AFL National Draft Selection Meeting in Sydney, including Father/Son and Academy Players Bidding

Monday, November 28, 4:00pm – AFL Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting

Monday, November 28, 4:10pm – NAB AFL Rookie Draft Selection Meeting

Wednesday, November 30, 2:00pm –Final AFL Club List Lodgement; Final TPP Pre-Season Estimates

Monday, December 5 – Pre-season training starts for 5+ year players

Source: afc.com.au

Last edited:
Lock out training sessions have been off season poison :eek:

Certainly makes the summer seem to draaaaaaaaag on

I miss seeing the photos of Johncock rocking up after an off-season of beer and ciggies. :D

He was always right to go by R1 though.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I miss seeing the photos of Johncock rocking up after an off-season of beer and ciggies. :D

He was always right to go by R1 though.
hope this is a good reminder .....young motlop
upload_2016-11-14_23-30-1.png

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah interested in Greenwood, got a feeling he will rock up looking like a monster this pre season.

Hamish was chasing him for like 8 years, we all know how good Hamish is at his job.
The guys gonna make it, there's something about him.

Guy seems to be an absolute professional in terms of preparation and approach, with his talent it's hard to not see him causing some selection committee headaches pretty soon and I hope he does. Will be very keen to watch his progress.

Douglas is one whom I think we need to have a massive preseason. Has had 2 essentially A-Grade seasons, with a lot of meh in between, we need our experienced players to step up and in Douglas' case command a midfield spot. I hope he's been given a massive rocket and told in no uncertain terms that his spot is a long way off assured. If he has a 2010/13 type year, suddenly our midfield is significantly shored up.

Alwaysacrow

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last year after pre-season and NAB we had 2 surprise selections for round 1, McLovin and Milera I believe. I'll be keeping an eye on Hampton, Greenwood, Menzel, CEY and Knight mostly.
Greenwood interests me a lot. Being a rookie he won't feature in round 1 but I hope he has a massive impact in the 2's and can get upgraded towards the end of the year, he could be a real bonus find that we've picked up for nothing.
Given the dreadful trade period we've just had we're all hoping I guess that our "organic growth" will produce some good results next year. I'm not overly optimistic but I guess we've got go with what we have.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Knight & Menzel I'm tipping to be the 2 big inclusions in 2017.

I'm hoping Knight can take over from Mackay in that role, similarly hard working, running type, but with a more natural hard edge to him.

Menzel I think we might see take over from either Cameron or Douglas, or a bit of both, with Cameron becoming more of a wing/midfielder, Douglas either claiming back a mid spot or losing it all together.

Why do our senior players get 11 weeks leave? Plus a short break at Christmas I assume.

Teams who get past the first week of finals have a slightly longer break.

In each year, the AFL will determine the Recommencement Date, provided that:

1. (i) the Recommencement Date for Clubs that did not participate in weeks 2-4 of the Finals Series shall not be prior to the date determined by the AFL and AFLPA in mid-November;

2. (ii) the Recommencement Date for Clubs that participated in weeks 2-4 of the Finals Series shall not be prior to 1 December;

3. (iii) a Club may require players with four or less years on an AFL Primary List to return for developmental training two weeks prior to its Recommencement Date; and

4. (iv) each Player shall receive a minimum of six weeks Leave prior to the Recommencement Date.

Yes, they also get a break at Christmas.

1. Other Leave Periods
    1. (a) Players shall receive two weeks Leave over Christmas and New Year (Christmas

Leave) and may not be required to resume training prior to 4 January in any year.

2. (b) Each Club shall provide Players two breaks of three days each during the period between 4 January and the first match of the Pre-Season Competition. For the avoidance of doubt, Clubs are not required to provide a mid-week day off in a week in which there is a three-day break.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Yeah interested in Greenwood, got a feeling he will rock up looking like a monster this pre season.

Hamish was chasing him for like 8 years, we all know how good Hamish is at his job.
The guys gonna make it, there's something about him.
Greenwood has been altitude training in New Mexico with CEY over the last 2-3 weeks. Hopefully it helps them both.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm liking what I'm hearing about CEY's attitude, he knocked back getting traded and finding a club where he would be guaranteed best 22 each week because he wanted to fight for his place in the Adelaide 22. He took his game to a new level in the 2015 pre-season when he shadowed Kerridge, this year he is altitude training at his own expense, he could be a great addition to our midfield, he has the attributes to be exactly the player we need.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm liking what I'm hearing about CEY's attitude, he knocked back getting traded and finding a club where he would be guaranteed best 22 each week because he wanted to fight for his place in the Adelaide 22. He took his game to a new level in the 2015 pre-season when he shadowed Kerridge, this year he is altitude training at his own expense, he could be a great addition to our midfield, he has the attributes to be exactly the player we need.
Really? Wow that's a great attitude. I've always liked him. Hopefully Thommo takes a back seat and gives CEY an opportunity to play as a full time mid.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
makes 40+ hours a week with two weeks holiday look like a joke.

During the season they pretty much work 7days a week though, they don't get weekends off and when they have days off they need to spend a fair chunk of them on recovery.

Really? Wow that's a great attitude. I've always liked him. Hopefully Thommo takes a back seat and gives CEY an opportunity to play as a full time mid.
Hopefully Thommo & VB in their new roles are mentoring CEY.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
The big question is who joins the 1-4 year players on Monday voluntary of course. ie Tex, Sloane, For moral and leadership and Brad Crouch ( if his 1st year is counted), Menzel, CEY, for the extra bit of fitness.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
I don't mean this in a snobby type of way, but no real need to keep an eye on Knight. That kid is a jet. Will be itching to be back in the team and should rip roaring to go come round 1 barring injuries. Is very highly rated internally, and really should have been in the side late last year.

Milera will continue to track along nicely and building an AFL ready physique. We saw what he was capable of last year at the top level, should build on that.

Menzel, Greenwood Doedee are the big ones for me. Meznel has the talent but strikes me as the type that would get bored easily. Can we keep him in the right mindset and have him ready to go in round 1? Will be watching how Greenwood and Doedee continue to progress, Greenwood a huge smokey obviously as most know. My friends will scoff at me suggesting him as one to watch, but I reckon he could very well feature this year. Thommo's spot should be up for grabs and Lyons is gone with probably only CEY looking likely at this stage.

The news of CEY altitude training is good to hear. Id love to see us start round 1 with Menzel/Milera in for Douglas and Knight in Mackay. I'd equally like to see CEY in for Thommo for now. Been crying out for that dynamic mid for so long and CEY provides us with something different and probably deserves first opportunity.

Not as confident in Hampton tbh, not sure he has what it takes. Wigg is going to have to do something special because there are a lot ahead of him.

Back