Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No never said it was, hawks tested him he managed to play afl and quite well in fact in his very first year after two years off, obviously hawks docs were on the money

Apparently Menzel couldn't get a gig because he couldn't get fit enough, go figure!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You never said his injury was an ACL?
In fact you've said it plenty even when Burtons injury was pointed out to you numerous times.

#embarassingyoureselfagain

Rory Sloane went 3 picks after Myles at Pick 44....

And one entire draft? Didnt he nominate the year before he was taken? So he was overlooked by all clubs. I seem to remember one of the recruiters, possibly Hamish, saying he wanted to take him with our last pick in that draft but the coach at the time (I guess Craig) wanted a Ruckman or a KPD. Hamish didnt sound too happy about that but was very happy when he was still available the next year. Hope I didnt make this up because its a very elaborate story I have led myself to believe.

And one entire draft? Didnt he nominate the year before he was taken? So he was overlooked by all clubs. I seem to remember one of the recruiters, possibly Hamish, saying he wanted to take him with our last pick in that draft but the coach at the time (I guess Craig) wanted a Ruckman or a KPD. Hamish didnt sound too happy about that but was very happy when he was still available the next year. Hope I didnt make this up because its a very elaborate story I have led myself to believe.

When you're drafting for need with your last pick in a draft, then you've got NFI what you're doing.

James Craig what a s**t pick that was. Where exactly did they expect a 195cm ruckman to play.
Thought he could be converted to a KPP ......how many fails have we had trying to convert undersized ruckmen to KPP ?

Only one i can recall was Pittman

This sounds similar to my recollection. I think we took Aaron Kite ahead of Sloane though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From this article ... http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-14/the-bad-stat

ADELAIDE-620-cn.jpg

It was well documented that Sam Jacobs was slightly down on his best form in 2016, and that's reflected in the Crows having one of the worst hit-out differentials in the competition. What would be more alarming for Adelaide and its fans though is the team's ball use. When going by foot, the Crows were ranked 15th in the competition for efficiency, a stat that must improve in 2017 if the Crows are to go deep into the finals. - Michael Whiting

I'm not that surprised with the hit-outs stat (cmon ROB), but I am not sure about the kicking efficiency one. We kick the ball a lot, and our overall disposal efficiency is top 5 from memory?
Would like to compare against metres gained per kick. Feel that we are more aggressive with our kicks, try to get forward quickly.

IIRC, 4 sideways uncontested kicks followed by a long kick down the line to a pack = 5 effective kicks.

For GWS you could name about half their team
Not sure about that. Few of their midfields aren't great kicks - Shiel, Scully, Ward, Griffen. Coniglio and Kelly are good but not incredible.

The problem we will face is that when they run and handball in numbers we will find it hard to tackle them.

Their defence has a couple of elite kicks in Williams and Shaw.

This sounds similar to my recollection. I think we took Aaron Kite ahead of Sloane though.
2008 draft
pick 10 Phil Davis, pick 28 Shaun McKernan, pick 44 Rory Sloane

2007 Draft
pick 10 P Dangerfield, pick 27 Andy Ottens, pick 30 Jarrhan Jacky, pick 38 Myke Cook, pick 58 Tony Armstrong, pick 71 Aaron Kite, (NSW SP pick 75) Taylor Walker
Rookies
James Moss, Jared Patrenko, Ed Curnow, Brodie Martin,
no Pre-season Draft picks.

2008 draft
pick 10 Phil Davis, pick 28 Shaun McKernan, pick 44 Rory Sloane

2007 Draft
pick 10 P Dangerfield, pick 27 Andy Ottens, pick 30 Jarrhan Jacky, pick 38 Myke Cook, pick 58 Tony Armstrong, pick 71 Aaron Kite, (NSW SP pick 75) Taylor Walker
Rookies
James Moss, Jared Patrenko, Ed Curnow, Brodie Martin,
no Pre-season Draft picks.

Sloane was eligible for the 2007 draft

Kite was taken over Sloane because of that reason. I'm not sure if it was Craig or Rendell who made the final decision. It was most likely Craig as it usually comes down to the coach who has the last say.

Cheney I'll grant you. Is one of our best kicks - a fringe player at Melbourne and Hawthorn, which gives good context.

Laird is a great player but an abysmal kick. Can he kick it more than 35m?

Atkins should be good. Add him to the Walker, Smith pile. Has the skills, doesn't produce it.

Milera barely played. Knight didn't play. Can't count these as proven quality kicks at AFL level.

Lynch is perhaps the worst field kick in the whole team. Between the arcs I've never seen anyone worse. Good around goals though (as long as within 40m - his limit).

Seed is a good kick I'll grant.

Harsh criticism. Not for the 1st time. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back