Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Which players are they exactly? Who are these vaunted superstars not getting their opportunity because of dastardly coaches, and where are the rival clubs lining up to take the obvious superstars off our hands for nothing? We didn't want Lyons, and yet played him for 23 games in the season ahead of this theoretical host before trading him to the only taker for a pick in the 40s, he's hardly a "golden ticket" case. Mitch Grigg is back at Norwood. Kerridge is in the bottom half of the Carlton side.

Opportunities are earned, and even amongst those who have earned them, few have stood out, and none in the midfield. The opinions held of a large section of our squad are unreasonably high.
sure, we were short on vaunted superstars but lets look at the end of the season after our wet lettuce leaf game against West Coast:

- Douglas and Mackay were still in the same flaky form they'd been in all season, and Knight despite coming off a long-term injury was back up and running and looking very good in the SANFL, and also has "the Bulldogs final" as an example of being able to perform in high-pressure matches. Add Milera, who after performing OK in the AFL at the start of the season before being dropped for a rest, was humming along well by the end of the season.

- Thommo was moving around the ground at 70%. I don't think Wigg or CEY are destined to be A-graders, but it wouldn't have hurt our chances much at all to give one of them a go against North, who our SANFL side could have given a run.

- Brown had struggled through the entire back half of the year with his dodgy groin, throw Doedee in. Hell throw Kelly in, we know he can run and chase and lay a tackle.

- Jacobs and Jenkins both flaky as hell on their ankles. ROB had already held his own, maybe he's not "ready" but if Jacobs can't jump and can't cover the ground it doesn't matter if we wish we could have given ROB another preseason, he has to play. Similarly with Dear and Jenkins.

even if we make all these changes I'm confident we still would have accounted for North comfortably, even if half the new guys had stinkers. That would have been fine, you drop them back down, bring the one-week-fresher senior guys back and keep the kids who did perform. Now they know we're serious about offering opportunities AND holding the senior side to expectations on performance which is healthy for the entire club. We might just uncover someone who surprises us while we're at it.

Of course he was. What else do you expect him to say to the fans, or the media?
obviously if the media said "you must be excited about how well everyone is playing in the SANFL..." I'd expect no less, but often he was bringing it up himself. There's absolutely no reason for straight-bat Pyke to go there and spill the beans on what the SANFL side is doing unless its burning in the back of his mind in his presser before every selection meeting.

Last edited:
Because some numbnuts gave them 2-year contracts in 2015 - CEY, Otten, Shaw...
blame Trigg for that one, if we had two more first round picks to resign a few of them might have been let go already.

Show me where I've made grandiose predictions about Galluci. Heck, show me where I've made any predictions about him.

CEY is a good SANFL footballer, who might be able to step it up to being a below average player at AFL level. In that sense, he's no different to Kerridge, Grigg and Lyons, all of whom the club has moved on in the last 16 months. The only difference between them and CEY is that CEY has/had a contract for 2017.

Galluci is a relative unknown. We've never seen him play at AFL level, and we've barely even seen him training at that level (thanks to the AFC's closed training policy). I have no idea whether or not he'll make it at the AFL level. At least he has potential on his side. CEY has been around long enough that he's a known quantity - the potential tag no longer fits.

Im not havinga dig at Galluci he looks ok but so did Grigg and CEY the first year they were drafted, so thats a lets wait and see

As for CEY he has done everything right he can to get a gig in the AFL and done it well last year. He deserves a crack at the AFL infront of Menzel, Hampton, Milera, Doedee, Wigg, Galluci as he has outperformed all of them at the level they have had him playing and in the midfield also. Not saying he will do what he has done if the SANFL in the AFL but he actually might, no different to Barlow kicking his carreer of at 23 and this board wanted to draft him, he was no different to CEY at the same age, infact CEY might be actually better, infact Priiddis probably had a year on CEY where he is at at the moment and went onto to become a Brownlow medalist although a lot thought he was a plodder

CEY might or might not make it, but if you dont think he has done enough to deserve a crack I would hate to know what you think of someone like Gore

Im not havinga dig at Galluci he looks ok but so did Grigg and CEY the first year they were drafted, so thats a lets wait and see

As for CEY he has done everything right he can to get a gig in the AFL and done it well last year. He deserves a crack at the AFL in front of Menzel, Hampton, Milera, Doedee, Wigg, Gallucci as he has outperformed all of them at the level they have had him playing and in the midfield also. Not saying he will do what he has done if the SANFL in the AFL but he actually might, no different to Barlow kicking his carreer of at 23 and this board wanted to draft him, he was no different to CEY at the same age, infact CEY might be actually better, infact Priiddis probably had a year on CEY where he is at at the moment and went onto to become a Brownlow medalist although a lot thought he was a plodder

CEY might or might not make it, but if you don't think he has done enough to deserve a crack I would hate to know what you think of someone like Gore

I can tell you CEY, was nowhere near Gallucci in his professionalism in training and only adopt that type of training a few years ago,
As for Grigg great player but he made Thommo look like a sprinter. in his first year. Gallucci and Poholke are quicker and fitter.
As for skill level, Has seen all of them in the First year, Gallucci at the same time is in front of both of them. Poholke not far behind Gallucci as well.
CEY vs Gallucci different players bringing a different skill set to the game,
CEY like any of the player you named only deserve a spot if he earn it, as he does not have runs on the board for 2017,
Wait and watch the preseason you get a better picture. Also, look at CEY watch his speed of ball movement and Kicking see if its improved. that alone will tell if he in line for a spot first game.

I can tell you CEY, was nowhere near Gallucci in his professionalism in training and only adopt that type of training a few years ago,
As for Grigg great player but he made Thommo look like a sprinter. in his first year. Gallucci and Poholke are quicker and fitter.
As for skill level, Has seen all of them in the First year, Gallucci at the same time is in front of both of them. Poholke not far behind Gallucci as well.
CEY vs Gallucci different players bringing a different skill set to the game,
CEY like any of the player you named only deserve a spot if he earn it, as he does not have runs on the board for 2017,
Wait and watch the preseason you get a better picture. Also, look at CEY watch his speed of ball movement and Kicking see if its improved. that alone will tell if he in line for a spot first game.

I compared those two only because they are recent, but there seems to be an expectation that all draftees wll make it, yet we are fully aware the AFL average for players drafted who play in excess of 100 games like Mackay has is only arouund 35% meaning everyone will have some failures and plenty of them

As for CEY earning it his 2016 form needs to be taken into consideration a ball hasnt even been bounced this year

Yes, but they've been doing match simulation drills for a couple of months now, and that form is more relevant than SANFL form from 6 months ago.

Sounds like Hampton will be getting first crack, because he has earnt it due to his preseason form.

Yes, but they've been doing match simulation drills for a couple of months now, and that form is more relevant than SANFL form from 6 months ago.

Sounds like Hampton will be getting first crack, because he has earnt it due to his preseason form.

Wasn't there a match simulation/internal trial this morning?

Did anyone with inside connections at the crows (my name Jeff ;)) get to have a look? When will we be told about the lower limb replacements for Brad and Jake? Was Bran Nue Mackae providing excellent run and carry (possible at West Lakes Shopping Centre).

For God sakes Roocheyman, your supposed to be a journalist, get your arse out of Rigoni's and DO SOMETHING!

Doesnt sound like anyone will have first crack, the one or many that stands up in the pre season games will be having first crack, forget internal trials. If Hampton, CEY, Menzel, Gore whoever pull out some top 3 performances in the JLT cup you can bet they will be the ones earning that spot. So they shoudl be, but as a player if you have played well last year and you have worked out what is required you are giving ypurself the best opportunity to perform in these games. Who ever fails in these preseason games better work their arse of to get another opportunity later in the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesnt sound like anyone will have first crack, the one or many that stands up in the pre season games will be having first crack, forget internal trials. If Hampton, CEY, Menzel, Gore whoever pull out some top 3 performances in the JLT cup you can bet they will be the ones earning that spot. So they shoudl be, but as a player if you have played well last year and you have worked out what is required you are giving ypurself the best opportunity to perform in these games. Who ever fails in these preseason games better work their arse of to get another opportunity later in the year

Which makes 2016 SANFL form irrelevant, yes? :)

Which makes 2016 SANFL form irrelevant, yes? :)

If they are playing well in 2016 it shows a lot, if no one steps up to the plate in the newbies in the pre season, do you think they will just throw a dart at the board or maybe go to last years form?

Playing well last year does a lot for the confidence of the player and I think its accepted that CEY is very much a confidence type player, the club would be aware of this.

If they are playing well in 2016 it shows a lot, if no one steps up to the plate in the newbies in the pre season, do you think they will just throw a dart at the board or maybe go to last years form?

Playing well last year does a lot for the confidence of the player and I think its accepted that CEY is very much a confidence type player, the club would be aware of this.

If I am a coach of an AFL side, and am faced with the above unlikely scenario (i.e. no one gets a kick at all), I am looking at who trained well and showed more in the pre-season rather than form from games at a lower level over six months ago.

Odds are that someone will stand up in the pre-season games and will get a crack.

Your argument that 2016 SANFL form will be held in higher regard than recent pre-season form has more holes in it that swiss cheese.

I would imagine Pykey (and Campo) have their first choice midfield unit penciled in for round one based around the form of the guys in the preseason, and what they think they can offer to the team. I would hope that 2016 SANFL form is irrelevant in their thoughts:

Pykey: "Geez Curtly has been tearing up the track and think he's set for a big year"
Campo: "But Pykey, he didn't show much in Rd 18 in the SANFL last year"
Pykey: "Oh yeah, that's right! Let's start him in the twos and give CEY a crack"

Sounds stupid doesn't it?

That's because it is.

If I am a coach of an AFL side, and am faced with the above unlikely scenario (i.e. no one gets a kick at all), I am looking at who trained well and showed more in the pre-season rather than form from games at a lower level over six months ago.

Odds are that someone will stand up in the pre-season games and will get a crack.

Your argument that 2016 SANFL form will be held in higher regard than recent pre-season form has more holes in it that swiss cheese.

I would imagine Pykey (and Campo) have their first choice midfield unit penciled in for round one based around the form of the guys in the preseason, and what they think they can offer to the team. I would hope that 2016 SANFL form is irrelevant in their thoughts:

Pykey: "Geez Curtly has been tearing up the track and think he's set for a big year"
Campo: "But Pykey, he didn't show much in Rd 18 in the SANFL last year"
Pykey: "Oh yeah, that's right! Let's start him in the twos and give CEY a crack"

Sounds stupid doesn't it?

That's because it is.

I wrote the JLT Cuommunity cup will determine who gets first crack, I believe though that players that have developed and building from last year will have more chance of succeeding, in it would that be a fair assesment? Or do you think teh chances of someone playing like a dog last year will step up to the plate easier this year? Work on what is more likely

As for CEY earning it, his 2016 form needs to be taken into consideration a ball hasnt even been bounced this year

This is your direct quote (I added a comma in to ensure it made sense) that I replied to.

To me, this reads as 2016 form is more important than form through the pre-season. Is this not what you meant when you said the above?

Mitch McGovern is the perfect example to your last point. His 2015 was nothing short of average, and yet played every game bar one last year. This wasn't based on his development the year before, or blistering 2015 SANFL form. No, this was based on the form he showed throughout last year's pre-season, which gave him a crack in the NAB Challenge, where he took is chance.

I have a really good feeling that Curtly Hampton will be our Mitch McGovern this year and fill a void our midfield has been lacking. I said it at the start of last year, if he can get fit, I think he offers something we don't have. I think that this is his breakout year.

I put Menzel in the same boat.

I agree, Poholke is the one that could really change our midfield if he develops.

If we looking for like types, then Poholke a faster Thommo type, and Gallucci a Sloane type. Both will offer different styles of Play. But Poholke will need to dethrone Matt Crouch to be #1 inside mid.
Personally I like both But Gallucci speed and leap is hard to beat.

You would first be happy just to play in excess of 150 games to become elite is an enormous ask, I would put my money on Galluci to do that given the option
Of course, but who wouldn't hope they both become two of the best players in the game, as unlikely as it is ;)

This is your direct quote (I added a comma in to ensure it made sense) that I replied to.

To me, this reads as 2016 form is more important than form through the pre-season. Is this not what you meant when you said the above?

Mitch McGovern is the perfect example to your last point. His 2015 was nothing short of average, and yet played every game bar one last year. This wasn't based on his development the year before, or blistering 2015 SANFL form. No, this was based on the form he showed throughout last year's pre-season, which gave him a crack in the NAB Challenge, where he took is chance.

I have a really good feeling that Curtly Hampton will be our Mitch McGovern this year and fill a void our midfield has been lacking. I said it at the start of last year, if he can get fit, I think he offers something we don't have. I think that this is his breakout year.

I put Menzel in the same boat.

There will be a few that pull it out of there bum, look at west coast picking up a Brownlow medalist as a rookie or one of the greatest players ever to play the game picked in the last round in James Hird. But if your going to put faith or hope in something that is unusual you are setting yourself up for many many failures, not saying it wont happen, just unlikely.

If a player is developing nicely getting a lot of BOGS and performing in the twos the chances are he will succeed, against a player doing nothing. Wouldnt you rather go with something that has a better chance of succeeding or an unlikely chance?

There will be a few that pull it out of there bum, look at west coast picking up a Brownlow medalist as a rookie or one of the greatest players ever to play the game picked in the last round in James Hird. But if your going to put faith or hope in something that is unusual you are setting yourself up for many many failures, not saying it wont happen, just unlikely.

If a player is developing nicely getting a lot of BOGS and performing in the twos the chances are he will succeed, against a player doing nothing. Wouldnt you rather go with something that has a better chance of succeeding or an unlikely chance?
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAbpAAAAJGRiZDk2NjFlLWNlMGUtNDEwOS04NGNmLWQzY2VmNGE5ODI3OQ.jpg

If he's doing that in his first year, then yes - there's a chance that he'll go on to be something special at the AFL level.

If he's doing that in his 5th year, then that's the absolute minimum expected and there are no expectations of anything at all at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back