Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Again, bullshit. They faced a full strength AFL reserves side, far different from a CD, Sturt or North.

What is bullshit about my statement?

Their record speaks for itself. I did a little bit of fact checking and found the following.

Last Premiership 1964

Last GF appearance 1979

They only made finals 10 times in 36 years and have only won 5 finals since 1980.

As I said before they are the closest thing to Richmond the SANFL has.

They had one great year in 2014 where they deserved to be in the grand final and the only thing that stopped them was the Port reserves team, this year though they couldn't knock Sturt over so they clearly weren't good enough and definitely weren't robbed.

simmo97

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Their record speaks for itself. I did a little bit of fact checking and found the following.

Last Premiership 1964

Last GF appearance 1979

They only made finals 10 times in 36 years and have only won 5 finals since 1980.

They had one great year in 2014 where they deserved to be in the grand final and the only thing that stopped them was the Port reserves team, this year though they couldn't knock Sturt over so they clearly weren't good enough and definitely weren't robbed.

your facts are not all right about South there deserved to be the in GF this year way more than 2014.
2014 Minor round 4th 11wins-7losses
2016 minor round 2nd 14wins-4losses

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club

Last Premiership 1964

Last GF appearance 1979

What's history got to do with current events in this case? Twice in three years they've been bailed out in finals by full strength AFL reserves teams, one confined to a cap of under 400k another with no cap. From Souths few finals appearances I'd suggest it's all the more unfair. What does it take for you to understand the inequities of this setup?

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
your facts are not all right about South there deserved to be the in GF this year way more than 2014.
2014 Minor round 4th 11wins-7losses
2016 minor round 2nd 14wins-4losses

Got to win games in September to get there, that's the key difference between 2014 and 2016.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Sturt v WWT Grand Finals.

All the sooking SANFL suporters can stop crying about how strong our side is. The two best SANFL teams made the Grand Final and we just chopped up Sturt.

Our guys were soundly beaten by the Double Greens, sorry Blues. My favourite free was the high contact in the forward line that resulted from no contact by the Crows player, as the Sturt spud fell over his own feet.

Sturt did play better than us, but they were ably assisted to ensure the "correct" result. It is truly a pissant league.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Great season by Jono Beech. The previous stats list really emphasised that.

Hope he gets a well deserved chance next year.

Our performance against Sturt reeked of a 'season's over' attitude.
I'd be disappointed if he didn't get another year, he's earned it.

lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
To give some context to Milera's game, he was almost permanently played as a small forward yesterday. We had O'Brien, Hunter, Lowden, Dear all in the side (3 of them up forward). So Milera was stationed in the forward line for almost the whole game.

He kicked 3.0 goals, laid 7 tackles and had 12 possessions. That's a pretty good game in a league final. That's a reasonably influence on the game playing in that role. He used the ball really well too. Don't just look at his possessions. He didn't spend much time up the ground at all.

Btw when all those talls are up forward we lose more often than not.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What's history got to do with current events in this case? Twice in three years they've been bailed out in finals by full strength AFL reserves teams, one confined to a cap of under 400k another with no cap. From Souths few finals appearances I'd suggest it's all the more unfair. What does it take for you to understand the inequities of this setup?

So you've determined that the system is inequitable because an AFL reserves team made it to the preliminary finals stage of the season? In order for people to understand that the system is inequitable there actually has to be some tangible evidence to support it.

Considering that 5 out of the last 6 grand finalists have been traditional SANFL sides, that in itself suggests that the system is more than fair to all 10 SANFL sides.Based on the first three years of the reserves team concept I am yet to see anything that even remotely suggests that the currently system is unfair.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
So you've determined that the system is inequitable because an AFL reserves team made it to the preliminary finals stage of the season? In order for people to understand that the system is inequitable there actually has to be some tangible evidence to support it.

Considering that 5 out of the last 6 grand finalists have been traditional SANFL sides, that in itself suggests that the system is more than fair to all 10 SANFL sides.Based on the first three years of the reserves team concept I am yet to see anything that even remotely suggests that the currently system is unfair.
It's inequitable due to the very differences in the teams. One is comprised of professional full time footballers, one is comprised of part time footballers. One is restrained by a $400k salary cap, the other isn't. I could go on about the differences and advantages but it's all been said before, if you don't see them as relevant then that's your perspective, I can accept that.

I don't see how South's history going back to their last flag is relevant to the last few years under this model, yes they've struggled for decades with little to look forward to each year, Gotch has got a good team together and playing some great footy only to be bailed out twice by stacked AFL reserves teams. I don't think that's fair and I feel for their supporters, if you think it's fair then that's your opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 11, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide

I have no problem with the AFL sides inclusion.

The problem is the lottery of what team the SANFL clubs play agsinst. Dependimg on injuries, or lack of them, you could have an easy win or have no chance.

Then, in finals, we see 21 listed players being far too strong, then a group who look as if they just want the season to end.

Adelaide are just playing to the rules set for them and get what they want from the comp, so no fault of theirs.

It does affect the integrity of the SANFL competition, but a solution isn't easy.

As for the season, it's hard to assess, as so few of our SANFL players were given a chance at the higher level.

Someone mentioned 80% of SANFL players are there to be drafted. Make that about 10% at senior level. Under 18's is a different matter.

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
To give some context to Milera's game, he was almost permanently played as a small forward yesterday. We had O'Brien, Hunter, Lowden, Dear all in the side (3 of them up forward). So Milera was stationed in the forward line for almost the whole game.

He kicked 3.0 goals, laid 7 tackles and had 12 possessions. That's a pretty good game in a league final. That's a reasonably influence on the game playing in that role. He used the ball really well too. Don't just look at his possessions. He didn't spend much time up the ground at all.

Btw when all those talls are up forward we lose more often than not.

Right position, wrong game/league.

10,000 posts right on the exit of our season, nice timing.

We have this thread if folks want to continue to discuss the Crows legitimacy in the SANFL: Should the Crows reserves be in the SANFL?

I'll probably start a SANFL Grand Final thread for next Sunday to officially conclude the SANFL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back