Universal Love 2016 AFC Best and Fairest Thread part 2 (Old one went haywire)

Remove this Banner Ad

I love that CC was recognised for his efforts. He's not a high possession player in his current role but he brings so much more with his pressure acts and tackling. His finishing needs some work but that will definitely come.
I think he will absolutely take the next step next year...hopefully in the midfield where his grunt and speed will be invaluable.

I want to know where Douglas, Thommo and Mackay finished in total votes and votes per game.

They have obviously finished outside of the top 10. Keeping these three players will be an indictment on our club.

Thommo polled votes in games where he got it 20 times playing 80%+ game time. Delusion.

Wayne's-World What did you think of Mackay's voting?
Frankly couldn't give a rats toss .......oneday people will realise the game is not played by numbers ......otherwise why get angry at coaches and sack them .....they simply look at stats, B&F, and fantasy stats .....shouldn't be any arguments then over team selections, correct?

Not only did Mackay finish 20th, he finished 27 votes behind Lyons. Now Vader that messes with your pecking order doesn't it?

Now this can't go through to the keeper. David Mackay who had his best season in a long time only managed to finish 20th and based on average games played he would be even lower.

That is ******* pathetic and vindicates what we've been saying all season.

Someone get Wayne's-World to justify his defence of Mackay, it shows thought maybe we are watching with our eyes.

As for Thommo, besides Sloane he's most probably spent the second most amount of time in the middle and finished 14th. We can not possibly give him another season and it will be interesting to see how he went in the last 10 rounds.

Selection committee you've spoken by your voting and you should be embarrassed.

After round 6, Thommo polled 88 votes from 16 games which would put him 23rd, between CEY and Mackay on votes per game. I wouldn't normally be one to divide a season like that. But Thommo's downfall was entirely predictable and there was definitely 2 distinct seasons from him. Averaged 29.5 touches in rounds 1-6 and about 21 for the rest of the year. That we play such a poor performer in position 1a at such a massive amount of stoppages explains why our midfield is incapable of improving.

Frankly couldn't give a rats toss .......oneday people will realise the game is not played by numbers ......otherwise why get angry at coaches and sack them .....they simply look at stats, B&F, and fantasy stats .....shouldn't be any arguments then over team selections, correct?
So you are saying it doesn't matter how the coaching staff rated his performance throughout the year?

Interesting view.

What about all the clowns that kept wanting Cameron dropped! Same people also said dmac was having a good year.

Vader said he had a very good year. Just the one bad game and savagely dropped despite a "very good" year. Such a ruthless selection committee. I knew the votes per game would prove Wayne's-World clueless when it comes to Mackay. I wonder if he's melting anywhere over the coaches bias against his little buddy.

Umm, the argument is why do they keep selecting them when it's obvious they're going poorly. This has been a consistent theme. There's been a disconnect between player performance and selection policy. Experience seems to be valued too highly because we know that junior players don't get that latitude.

What, nice try Wayne.

After round 6, Thommo polled 88 votes from 16 games which would put him 23rd, between CEY and Mackay on votes per game. I wouldn't normally be one to divide a season like that. But Thommo's downfall was entirely predictable and there was definitely 2 distinct seasons from him. Averaged 29.5 touches in rounds 1-6 and about 21 for the rest of the year. That we play such a poor performer in position 1a at such a massive amount of stoppages explains why our midfield is incapable of improving.
******* hell.

Yikes

Has there been actual confirmation of the Thommo contract? Surely the club can't be that blind?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yikes

Has there been actual confirmation of the Thommo contract? Surely the club can't be that blind?

I can't imagine Bickley backtracking and endorsing a new contract is evidence of anything other than the club has told him to back their decision. I'd love it to be because Thommo isn't getting a contract and they want to spin it as a retirement, but that seems a fairly unlikely.

Vader said he had a very good year. Just the one bad game and savagely dropped despite a "very good" year. Such a ruthless selection committee. I knew the votes per game would prove Wayne's-World clueless when it comes to Mackay. I wonder if he's melting anywhere over the coaches bias against his little buddy.
Not to mention winning the Best Trainer award or whatever it was likely means the coaches love him so he would've got the max votes possible whenever there was a borderline call.

Honestly, it's an indictment on this club that we rate actual game day performance so lowly.

The re-signing of Thompson is the same…will be accompanied with a load of BS about leadership, on field voice, training standards blah blah blah…how about getting a frickin kick or chasing somebody or actually performing in finals. If Thompson goes on it is going to be a bitter and pathetic end next year. Either he will play SANFL or the supporter base will turn on him and the club.

Not to mention winning the Best Trainer award or whatever it was likely means the coaches love him so he would've got the max votes possible whenever there was a borderline call.

Honestly, it's an indictment on this club that we rate actual game day performance so lowly.

The re-signing of Thompson is the same…will be accompanied with a load of BS about leadership, on field voice, training standards blah blah blah…how about getting a frickin kick or chasing somebody or actually performing in finals. If Thompson goes on it is going to be a bitter and pathetic end next year. Either he will play SANFL or the supporter base will turn on him and the club.
Why on earth would you have a best training award?

Surely the only reason you even have training is so that players can play well in matches.

When I become an AFL coach the first thing I will do is tear down any measures that are plastered up around the club that recognise training performance. Who bench presses the most, beep test results, sprint times, skinfolds - whatever. Too many opportunities for players to feel like they are having a good season and are putting in.

The only measures that have any relevance are those that occur in the two hours between first siren and final siren on the weekend.

Every game in existence is played by numbers. Afl is no different.

Why on earth would you have a best training award?

t2957lrg.jpg

There's not enough reminding Wayne of MacKays polling in this thread.

Lift your game otherwise I will have to create and alias called Get Wayne

Couple of interesting results looking at the votes per game.

- Surprised that Cameron was rated as our 5th best player on average during the season, personally feel that's overated when you see him ahead of guys like Talia, Hartigan etc - obviously playing the role the coaches demand from him though.

- Thought Lyons might have polled a little higher, 12th on average is still pretty solid though and ahead of someone like Douglas who is pretty similar competition given the roles they both play.

- Jenkins 60 odd goals didn't count for much in the voting for what you might have expected - finishing off the good work of the team rather then getting a lot of credit for it I suppose.

- Seedsman rather low on the polling which I suppose gives a better idea of where we rate him at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back