Universal Love 2016 AFC GIF Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As an old calico waver myself, the positioning of AFL goal umps drives me nuts.

And they rely on the video review waaaaaaay too much.

Oh, and that goal ump is right under the flight, up at the post, which means he's in a better position than the 10,000 Bulldogs supporters who were sitting in the nosebleed section in Row IDGAF and claim they had a better of it than him.

It's partly why I love going to the sanfl. Even without the best view I can easily predict if it was a goal or not just because of the positioning of the sanfl goal umps.

It's partly why I love going to the sanfl. Even without the best view I can easily predict if it was a goal or not just because of the positioning of the sanfl goal umps.

What do the AFL umps do wrong? Do they stay in the middle of the goals and not move around as much? Is there a particular reason for it (TV?) or are they just badly coached now?

What do the AFL umps do wrong? Do they stay in the middle of the goals and not move around as much? Is there a particular reason for it (TV?) or are they just badly coached now?

They don't move to get to the right places from what I can see. Instead they seem to put themselves in a position where they don't get the best view to properly adjudicate, often they are the other side away from the ball. I think it is a combination of the last two. The AFL like the drama of waiting for the decision from the ump and that has led to what I consider to be some bad coaching. Anyone who actually has been a goal ump would be able to help out here - PrideOf ? I only know a little bit from when I was a boundary ump, but it just seems so wrong to me the positions they are standing in.

they seem to watch a lot of balls through side-on these days, favouring a good view of the line rather than getting in the easiest position to see which sticks the ball goes through.

its risky when you're hungover helping out down the ammos, but makes sense at AFL level I think. I know in the former situation I've been caught out standing by the wrong post and when someone boots one low and hard near the opposite post it can be difficult to be 100% certain which side it flew by on.

how there can be any doubt over that prelim goal is beyond me though, he's there to see it perfectly. I guess the ball swung in the air earlier than Libba thought from where he was standing ;)

how there can be any doubt over that prelim goal is beyond me though, he's there to see it perfectly. I guess the ball swung in the air earlier than Libba thought from where he was standing ;)

I've done games where people have abused me afterwards because they were in the "perfect position" which turned out to be 100 metres away on a 45-degree angle about 100 rows up.

They don't move to get to the right places from what I can see. Instead they seem to put themselves in a position where they don't get the best view to properly adjudicate, often they are the other side away from the ball. I think it is a combination of the last two. The AFL like the drama of waiting for the decision from the ump and that has led to what I consider to be some bad coaching. Anyone who actually has been a goal ump would be able to help out here - PrideOf ? I only know a little bit from when I was a boundary ump, but it just seems so wrong to me the positions they are standing in.

Two things I've noticed: one, the fact there's a video review there makes them second-guess. A good goal ump is confident in his decision. It's different to be a field umpire where it's about interpretation. For a goal umpire, it either hit the post or it didn't, crossed the line or it didn't. I've seen so many umps a bit gun-shy because of the video review. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been an edict from the AFL to go to review more often than not.

Two, I've seen more and more umps get their angles wrong in the past few years. That's why you see them unsure about balls hitting the post or carrying the line - they're just in the wrong spot. Here in Adelaide, I think we've actually got some of the better goal umps in the AFL so we don't see it that often in our games.

Found some time to Gif a few things from today.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes. I think he got told to, otherwise that normally wouldn't occur.

I was surprised how often Rowie kept saying that Hendo wasn't hard enough. Was pretty up front about it. About time those two called what the rest of us can see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back