2016 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't mind the rookie draft being on the same night. For the guys that miss out but eventually get picked up as a rookie it's a whole lot of unnecessary disappointment
I get clubs might need time but they've got all year to work it out, they have there lists in front of them. The likes of Jarman Scharenberg and Brayshaw probably had family over and are now feeling pretty low

There were a shitload of interesting calls tonight.
Was surprised Carlton's Macreadie bid wasn't matched by GWS in the end, e.g.

Really bizarre - but I think it was personal and didnt like Sydney much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't mind the rookie draft being on the same night. For the guys that miss out but eventually get picked up as a rookie it's a whole lot of unnecessary disappointment
I get clubs might need time but they've got all year to work it out, they have there lists in front of them. The likes of Jarman Scharenberg and Brayshaw probably had family over and are now feeling pretty low
The three day turnaround is a dumb idea. Either go back to the old system weeks later which allows clubs to invite blokes out to train with them or do it on the same night.

So who would you have taken at #6?

Brodie. A player a lot of Carlton fans thought would suit us better at THIS stage of our rebuild.

SPS has a boom or bust aura about him for many. Those are not the kind of players we need to be taking at this stage with out list as it is imo.

We're in need of locking in players who have a higher chance of being 200 game players right now and as I said, many Carlton fans thought that guy was Brodie.

Brodie. A player a lot of Carlton fans thought would suit us better at THIS stage of our rebuild.

SPS has a boom or bust aura about him for many. Those are not the kind of players we need to be taking at this stage with out list as it is imo.

We're in need of locking in players who have a higher chance of being 200 game players right now and as I said, many Carlton fans thought that guy was Brodie.
What makes him boom or bust, and less likely to be a 200 gamer?

You don't get about much then. Plenty of Carlton fans saying they wanted wanted Brodie and didn't want SPS.
Righto... Funny, cos I was out last night whilst the draft was on! What were you doing? Bitching on here about something you have no control off.
Maybe it's because I don't live in Melbourne that I don't hear what you hear but my Carlton supporting family and friends down in Melbourne are all very happy about SPS heading our way.
I've spent the last hour or so reading and looking into our draft picks and I can tell you, you are still the first I have seen that has this opinion... Anyways time will tell if we made a crap choice. At least I'm willing to not write this kid off before he plays a game for us!

Inspired drafting SOS & co. Bravo!

I just had a look at Brodie - the differences are minimal apart from SPS appearing to have more mongrel and a better option outside of his midfield prowess. I'm stoked!
And that's my opinion. Happy for you to live with yours.

The beauty about SPS is we can play him either the hard in and under type, the outside runner or a combination of both.

Midfielder tick
In & under tick
Outsider runner tick
Pace tick
Tackler tick
Left footer tick
Good on both legs tick
Goal kicker tick
Clean handle of footy tick
Evasive skills tick

Brodie whilst maybe better at in an under and possession accumulator, lacks everything else SPS brings.

At the safest, SPS can rival Brodie... and at the ceiling height, we have ourselves a harder edged Shaun Burgoyne

The beauty about SPS is we can play him either the hard in and under type, the outside runner or a combination of both.

Midfielder tick
In & under tick
Outsider runner tick
Pace tick
Tackler tick
Left footer tick
Good on both legs tick
Goal kicker tick
Clean handle of footy tick
Evasive skills tick

Brodie whilst maybe better at in an under and possession accumulator, lacks everything else SPS brings.

At the safest, SPS can rival Brodie... and at the ceiling height, we have ourselves a harder edged Shaun Burgoyne
It's funny...I don't see Bostonian over on the Carlton board voicing his opinion. And I don't see anyone on the Carlton board agreeing with his opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back