List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns are flying over members of Martins family early in 2017 to entice Martin to re-sign , ....could be an Omeara stand off if Martin actually wants back to WA , which is probably a pretty low chance I would imagine , sounds like the Suns are going to offer something pretty good .
That seems logical, fly his family over (surely if he wants to come home is being closer to family) to get him to re-sign then fly them back to the other side of the country, almost as far away as they possibly can get.

I think that is the pertinent point there, Fremantle's default offer is almost 100% guaranteed to be positioned much more favorable via a draft pick. No doubt they would ask for 2 first rounders and or 1 and a decent player and I don't blame them. Martin is class and if we go after him will have to offer a decent package.
Be happy to part with a decent package for him, he's electrifying. We've stocked up with quite a lot of young talent lately so I wouldn't be opposed with parting with one or two for him bar a few. Possible package with a ready made spud.

Anyone got highlights of this kid playing AFL? All I remember was his first game he came out and got injured. Not many GC games on FTA. If I recall he has a good overhead mark but I didnt think he'd been setting the world on fire.

Anyone got highlights of this kid playing AFL? All I remember was his first game he came out and got injured. Not many GC games on FTA. If I recall he has a good overhead mark but I didnt think he'd been setting the world on fire.

Sunk Freo at Subiaco last season , Round 2 23 disposal four goal game was amazing that day .
Should be a replay on the AFL site somewhere ( telstra subscibers )

He got third in their B&F. Hasn't set the world on fire per se, because he's always injured and he's still pretty undeveloped in terms of tank and size.

It's more about his ceiling really, which is epic, but his body will always be a question mark (like O'Meara).

He just does everything on the field well. Skills, overhead marking, goal sense, contested footy/tackling, ability in traffic.

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2014-08-31/rd23-jack-martin-showreel
http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2015-09-18/suns-tv-jack-martin-season-review

Also played a blinder against us a few years back in the last game of the season, 2014 I think?
Yeah highlights of that match in my previous post. Ended Adam Carter's career i think

Re: Recruiting Martin it matters not that Fremantle should have a better pick than us if we convince him to nominate us.

That being said I can see Freo going hard and us not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We go hard if players want to come to us. If they want to play for the other mob then thats their loss.

Not that I know much but the way it is portrayed in the media Fremantle throw just about everything at WA-linked players whereas we choose more carefully.

Martin is one I'd be very happy to target. We need quality smalls generally and a quality half forward/outside mid like Martin would be dope. Depending on how he goes this year you'd think a first rounder as a starting point and then maybe a player that Gold Coast could use in their 22.

Not that I know much but the way it is portrayed in the media Fremantle throw just about everything at WA-linked players whereas we choose more carefully.

Martin is one I'd be very happy to target. We need quality smalls generally and a quality half forward/outside mid like Martin would be dope. Depending on how he goes this year you'd think a first rounder as a starting point and then maybe a player that Gold Coast could use in their 22.

We just walk the walk instead of talking the talk. While Freo make all their big plays via the media we quietly get s**t done in the background. Multiple examples of this in recent years.

And when things don't go as punters hoped that doesn't mean we didn't try, just that it wasn't possible.

Martin kinda seems surplus to requirements for Freo but if that sort of talent wants to come home I guess you make room for them. I need to see more of him before I turn as fanboy as some on here.

We just walk the walk instead of talking the talk. While Freo make all their big plays via the media we quietly get s**t done in the background. Multiple examples of this in recent years.

And when things don't go as punters hoped that doesn't mean we didn't try, just that it wasn't possible.

Martin kinda seems surplus to requirements for Freo but if that sort of talent wants to come home I guess you make room for them. I need to see more of him before I turn as fanboy as some on here.

I agree I don't have criticisms as such about us not going for players that Fremantle had subsequently signed (Bennell would have been nice but I get it).

I agree I don't have criticisms as such about us not going for players that Fremantle had subsequently signed (Bennell would have been nice but I get it).

Yeah I was more just voicing an observation about targets weve acquired haha. Bennell would've been good at the time. In hindsight though? He seems pretty fragile and still likes to party.

Yeah I was more just voicing an observation about targets weve acquired haha. Bennell would've been good at the time. In hindsight though? He seems pretty fragile and still likes to party.
Well over the past bunch of years Freo has built their side by drafting bulk mids (except Bennell) and then opportunistically traded in fairly average talls, whereas we have pretty much done the opposite (have concentrated more on mids in the last few years though)

I reckon you're relatively likely to get away with B grade talls if the rest of your side is good enough, but trading in an A grade midfield is near on impossible.

Remains to be seen how freo will go but I think their approach makes sense.

Re: Martin - keep your eye out for him this year. Absolute gun.

Well over the past bunch of years Freo has built their side by drafting bulk mids (except Bennell) and then opportunistically traded in fairly average talls, whereas we have pretty much done the opposite (have concentrated more on mids in the last few years though)

We've actually recruited midfielders with our last 7 first picks:

2016: Daniel Venables
2015: Luke Partington
2014: Liam Duggan
2013: Dom Sheed
2012: Brant Colledge
2011: Murray Newman
2010: Andrew Gaff

So the concentration has always been there it's just the ability to develop them like our talls as you say.

Martin would be unbelievable but would take more than our first pick, way too early too worry about. I would say he is on the same level as a Chaf Wingard, given that we have drafted so many mids recently I would be content to chase him.

Martin would be a dream some very good free agents as of next year too. Salary cap management is vital in the next two yeaars

Martin would be unbelievable but would take more than our first pick, way too early too worry about. I would say he is on the same level as a Chaf Wingard, given that we have drafted so many mids recently I would be content to chase him.
wingard had 2 AA's by 22 and one of the best small forwards in the game. Martin is no where near. has potential but wingard is miles ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back