List Mgmt. 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Having not watched any games and only reading the game styles and watching the limited highlight packages on the net, I really want both Powell-Pepper and Bolton. I think they're exactly what we need and both sound like players that could bring their game next season. Unless theres an obvious slider, we should reach for SPP early and then take Bolton if available or reach for Ryan. With our acquisition of Mitchell, I think we can afford to reach on players that we rate and believe can fill a certain need for us. If we rate them, we should back ourselves in to be superstars.

paran, I don't recall. I suspect he'd have a hitout if he played ruck. He played some relief ruck at league level. He moves really well but that won't be his AFL role. I wasn't watching too closely this year, so Swannies or Spearhead may know more.
Thanks mate. I had been assuming he was more like Barras - athletic KPD, however the 33 possy game at ressy level gave me pause.

Having not watched any games and only reading the game styles and watching the limited highlight packages on the net, I really want both Powell-Pepper and Bolton. I think they're exactly what we need and both sound like players that could bring their game next season. Unless theres an obvious slider, we should reach for SPP early and then take Bolton if available or reach for Ryan. With our acquisition of Mitchell, I think we can afford to reach on players that we rate and believe can fill a certain need for us. If we rate them, we should back ourselves in to be superstars.

Watch the U18 allstar game if you can - they both show up and you get an idea of what their strengths are.

TBH, English is up there because of his veratility and agility (i.e. can play fwd) but I'm not a big fan of his. I think Marshall is a talent, and Logue looks like he's tough and athletic, but probably too high for a KPD.

His marking looked decidedly average in the All-Star game. Marshall never had the breakout game needed this year for me. He just lacked that natural forward instinct.

Footballers before athletes please. 54 wouldn't be a stretch even with that result IMO.
He'd need a rest after running through the banner with that result

I get the footballers before athletes bit but you aren't going to survive as an AFL player with that level of fitness. It's poor

I get the footballers before athletes bit but you aren't going to survive as an AFL player with that level of fitness. It's poor
I suppose you weigh up the cost vs potential benefit.

I've seen enough promise from him that 54 would easily be worth the work we'd put in for the potential output.

Don't want logue btw, not even if he was there with our second rounder. For all his talk of utility he just doesn't get enough of the ball.
I suppose you weigh up the cost vs potential benefit.

I've seen enough promise from him that 54 would easily be worth the work we'd put in for the potential output.

A lot comes down to how you rate the player as well, particularly for us. If say for example both waterman and ryan are there at 54 you take ryan knowing that waterman then basically comes for free and ryan may or may not last till the rookie draft from that point onwards. It would be hard to see fremantle not taking him considering the age of ballantyne and even yarran turning 28 next year and no certainty of providing anymore than he did this year or even receding. Couple that with just how many players the dockers will be drafting, their love of smalls and the taste of how the go home factor seems to becoming more and more of an issue and it's easy to see them taking him. They have 5 picks in the draft after that before we even get to the rookie draft where they would have a pick before us.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/11520/deppro-draft-watch-state-combine-results

Results from the WA draft combine

For the Ryan lovers, like me, the beep test result of 10.1 is a bit of a sobering thought. No way we reach for him with pick 34, 54 would be a stretch

Thanks for posting that Keyser , our boy from Broome had a really good state-combine........ I really want him in wings next season.
Has that rare combination of being both a good footballer and a good athlete. Big game player and a natural leader.

Rohan O'Brien.......make it happen.

If you don't then..... My friend Liam will come after you.

In his words

" I will look for you, I will find you and..... I will ...... "

Quoted from the movie Taken ..... So Mr O'Brien make sure he is Taken by West Coast.

I don't think he even did a WAFL pre season did he? Plenty of scope for improvement. Gero pre season training amounts to a few laps, a bit of kick to kick followed by a bellyful of beers.
I wouldn't be going near him with a 2nd round pick, even 3rd is probably overs buuuuuut the upside could be enticing. Has a great leap on the lead, balls that Darling and Lecras are marking above their head he is chest marking, hard to spoil that s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he even did a WAFL pre season did he? Plenty of scope for improvement. Gero pre season training amounts to a few laps, a bit of kick to kick followed by a bellyful of beers.
I wouldn't be going near him with a 2nd round pick, even 3rd is probably overs buuuuuut the upside could be enticing. Has a great leap on the lead, balls that Darling and Lecras are marking above their head he is chest marking, hard to spoil that s**t.

Don't get me wrong as I'd love to see him at the Eagles but that beep test shows he doesn't come without risk

As it is our only chance to get him would be at 54 provided we don't have to use that pick for waterman because he won't be there at our next pick (106) - Freo will take him before then

Can almost guarantee Freo bid on waterman with either 35 or 40 to force us into using 54 on him

Don't get me wrong as I'd love to see him at the Eagles but that beep test shows he doesn't come without risk

As it is our only chance to get him would be at 54 provided we don't have to use that pick for waterman because he won't be there at our next pick (106) - Freo will take him before then

Can almost guarantee Freo bid on waterman with either 35 or 40 to force us into using 54 on him

Maybe, maybe not on the waterman bid. Considering they have traded kersten and sunshine in would they really take yet another third tall forward in the same draft?

Maybe, maybe not on the waterman bid. Considering they have traded kersten and sunshine in would they really take yet another third tall forward in the same draft?
If it forces us to use our third on Waterman they will (and I strongly doubt we would call their bluff and not take him because of the PR nightmare of letting Freo steal a premiership player's son).

Which will clear a path for freo to use a later pick on Ryan.

Which is why we should have got moar picks!!!1!

If it forces us to use our third on Waterman they will (and I strongly doubt we would call their bluff and not take him because of the PR nightmare of letting Freo steal a premiership player's son).

Which will clear a path for freo to use a later pick on Ryan.

Which is why we should have got moar picks!!!1!

Would hate to see freo force me to burn down their football department building by bidding on waterman!

How do you get a 10.1 beep test after a full footy season?

That's shocking.

The same way you get caught with a girl in a tent at Rottnest.

i saw ryan play about 5 times this year and from what i read he apparantly lacked defensive pressure and ability to accumulate downfield but that didn't really put me off. But watching the game we SF he would give a half arsed chase and then curl up and suck the big ones in. Im not the best person to talk about fitness as im a fat bastard but thats really poor from a guy 70 odd kgs and you would probably expect that from a guys 20-25kgs heavier than him.

i saw ryan play about 5 times this year and from what i read he apparantly lacked defensive pressure and ability to accumulate downfield but that didn't really put me off. But watching the game we SF he would give a half arsed chase and then curl up and suck the big ones in. Im not the best person to talk about fitness as im a fat bastard but thats really poor from a guy 70 odd kgs and you would probably expect that from a guys 20-25kgs heavier than him.
Ryan being raw in many respects isn't exactly news, though. Recruiters have known this for some time so I doubt the poor beep test would affect their perceptions of him too much. What those perceptions are, I suppose we'll see.

It's a massive step up from country football to WAFL level. He showed the skill but not the fitness.

So he's a work in progress, like most kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back