2016 AFL Finals - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Fri, Sept 9, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Likely changes for Hawthorn

IN: McEvoy, Stratton

OUT: Pittonet (Omitted), Sicily (Omitted)

B: Stratton, Frawley, Burton

HB: Birchall, Gibson, Hodge

C: Hill, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Rioli, Schoenmakers, Gunston

F: Puopolo, Fitzpatrick, Breust

R: McEvoy, Lewis, Burgoyne

INT: Whitecross, Shiels, Hartung, Duryea

EMG: Sicily, Spangher, Langford

Not sure how Geelong will structure up. Kersten played well on Gibson in Round 1 and he didn't play against Melbourne yesterday.

IN: Scott Selwood, Lachie Henderson

OUT: Jed Bews, Kade Kolodjashnij

B: Henderson, Lonergan, Ruggles

HB: Mackie, Taylor, Enright

C: Guthrie, Blicavs, Duncan

HF: Bartel, Stanley, Menzel

F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Motlop

R: Smith, Dangerfield, J.Selwood

INT: Menegola, S.Selwood, Caddy, Cowan

EMG: Cockatoo, Lang, Kersten

Agree and disagree (though admittedly I go there to watch league games and rock concerts more regularly than AFL).

The surface is shithouse, no escaping that.
It is also soulless, no escaping that.

However I don't have a drama with the facilities themselves as a fan. Perhaps if there was more than 1 nearby pub I'd like it more. The transport there is usually okay, and I don't think it is a bad viewing stadium.

Never go to league games there, I hate the stadium though so I won't voluntarily go there unless it is the Swans playing and I just cop it but it is never a pleasant experience.

I just hate not having a pub that serves full strength anywhere near the stadium a bit of a joke. I never get drunk, but I like to have 1-2 beers. I don't expect that to be watered down at full strength prices.

You do realise just how bad the stadium is right? It is a dump! Shocking facilities, I'm just glad this is the last game at that diabolical stadium. It is the most souless stadium in Australia. If I didn't HAVE to go to the Swans game I sure as anything wouldn't usually at ANZ. Every time I go there it is a terrible experience.
Perfect for the occasion then.

Perfect for the occasion then.

Look for some events it is perfect, I just don't feel we are suddenly going to get 70k at the match, will be a 40-50k crowd, which again begs the question, why move it...the SCG holds 50k now!

I'll be half-heartedly supporting Geelong out of a sense of righteous indignation against Hawthorn/the umpires/the AFL.

If the Hawks win the grand final, it's a hollow one built on cheating. Isn't worth anything.
Good to see you're resorting to posting s hit comments instead of making s hit threads. There's hope for us all.

Likely changes for Hawthorn

IN: McEvoy, Stratton

OUT: Pittonet (Omitted), Sicily (Omitted)

B: Stratton, Frawley, Burton

HB: Birchall, Gibson, Hodge

C: Hill, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Rioli, Schoenmakers, Gunston

F: Puopolo, Fitzpatrick, Breust

R: McEvoy, Lewis, Burgoyne

INT: Whitecross, Shiels, Hartung, Duryea

EMG: Sicily, Spangher, Langford

Not sure how Geelong will structure up. Kersten played well on Gibson in Round 1 and he didn't play against Melbourne yesterday.

IN: Scott Selwood, Lachie Henderson

OUT: Jed Bews, Kade Kolodjashnij

B: Henderson, Lonergan, Ruggles

HB: Mackie, Taylor, Enright

C: Guthrie, Blicavs, Duncan

HF: Bartel, Stanley, Menzel

F: McCarthy, Hawkins, Motlop

R: Smith, Dangerfield, J.Selwood

INT: Menegola, S.Selwood, Caddy, Cowan

EMG: Cockatoo, Lang, Kersten

Cowan will come out for Scott Selwood rather than Bews. Cowan's defensive pressure has been very good of late, but Bews' is better IMO and he (along with Ruggles) gives us some nice drive from HB. Probably receives a lockdown role on Breust or Puopolo. Heard a rumour on the Geelong board that Henderson is done for the year, so if this somehow proves true losing probably our best defender for 2016 hurts and means Kolodjashnij remains in the side. If Kersten plays, it necessitates one of Smith/Stanley being omitted, which negates the significant ruck advantage we have and hence won't happen.

Using Fitzpatrick as a resting forward (ala Rhys Stanley) gives Hawthorn some much-needed height in the F50. You've not only lacked this all season with Roughead out, but it could prove important against a tall backline featuring Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie and Henderson/Kolo. Not sure what Hawk fans think, but I'd say he's virtually an automatic selection.

Using Fitzpatrick as a resting forward (ala Rhys Stanley) gives Hawthorn some much-needed height in the F50. You've not only lacked this all season with Roughead out, but it could prove important against a tall backline featuring Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie and Henderson/Kolo. Not sure what Hawk fans think, but I'd say he's virtually an automatic selection.

Possibly, but we may also want to exploit the lack of decent matchups for our smalls, and keep a player like sicily in the team, who is not particularly tall, but can play tall due to his decent overhead marking, with Schoey and Gunston playing the role of taller forwards. Who usually gets the job on Rioli/Breust/Poppy?

So the Sydney game is during the day on a Saturday because of travel time for Sydney supporters across suburts (its like a 25 min train ride from the centre of Sydney) yet its ok for Geelong fans to travel on Friday night from a completely different city that can take nearly 2 hours. Did they even think before they came up for that reason why the Sydney game should be in the day?

Meh, it's an hour on the V/Line, maybe a tick over if you're driving depending on traffic. I don't know what your method of travel is, but it should not take anywhere near 2 hours one-way. In fairness I haven't been home in 3 years, but I missed the memo where Geelong had moved 100 km further out.

Tbh I always went to more Cat's games at the G than I ever did at Simonds despite living in Geelong, because I love the G. Nothing beats a final at the G. Though I do agree with the bitterness that we are conceding home turf, it would never have been any different anyway so just forget about it and enjoy what will be one of the games of the year.

Cowan will come out for Scott Selwood rather than Bews. Cowan's defensive pressure has been very good of late, but Bews' is better IMO and he (along with Ruggles) gives us some nice drive from HB. Probably receives a lockdown role on Breust or Puopolo. Heard a rumour on the Geelong board that Henderson is done for the year, so if this somehow proves true losing probably our best defender for 2016 hurts and means Kolodjashnij remains in the side. If Kersten plays, it necessitates one of Smith/Stanley being omitted, which negates the significant ruck advantage we have and hence won't happen.

Its refreshing to come onto a footy forum and see people actually discussing..football.

Cats looks dangerous. I reckon Cats by 30+ or Hawks by under 10. I've got a feeling it might be a Hawks vs Cats GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone on BF have access to the breakdown of the number of 50m penalties received/conceded and the number of goals scores from 50m penalties received/conceded?

I think everyone on BF knows the trend!

Great to see some footy talk finally instead of home ground, umpires BS. Keep it up.

Personally I think it will be tough on Hawks to get up based on form. Geelong are looking the goods but you never know.
Would be a tough call on Cowan to miss. Cats will need consistent play from Motlop but very up/down this season.
Hawkins will be your most important player but he can be very hot and cold so don't know what to expect.

Hawks will bring in Stratton after an extra weeks recovery so will give us some experience and another level head in the backline.
Shoey will remain in the squad as he also gives us a tall option that contests and brings the ball to ground. Nice foot skills too.
Danger will be a problem due to his burst speed. I thing a surprise inclusion may be Langford to run with and harass him. Burton
will be omitted IMO for some more experience in Hartung possibly to rotate with Hill.

Will be an immense game but if Geelong get in front by 3-4 early it will be hard to peg back. However, in saying that who knows if the
experience factor of Hawks will have an effect. Our skills have been average lately which is strange considering our history of great skills
over several years. If we turn over too much we will be punished as Cats move the ball around very nicely. To win Hawks will have to up
the foot skills and apply greater forward pressure which has also been lacking lately. We have copped too many goals on the rebound.

Hawks by 12 with 91K to watch. Will be a great spectacle for fans of the game and has been many years.

Meh, it's an hour on the V/Line, maybe a tick over if you're driving depending on traffic. I don't know what your method of travel is, but it should not take anywhere near 2 hours one-way. In fairness I haven't been home in 3 years, but I missed the memo where Geelong had moved 100 km further out.

Tbh I always went to more Cat's games at the G than I ever did at Simonds despite living in Geelong, because I love the G. Nothing beats a final at the G. Though I do agree with the bitterness that we are conceding home turf, it would never have been any different anyway so just forget about it and enjoy what will be one of the games of the year.
have you ever heard of the car and peak hour traffic?

Hawthorn lucked into a home final here. Hope Geelong members get first dibs on buying the good seats (ha ha).

Cats by 5-8 goals.
I think that sounds about right. Most people have been writing Geelong off for the best part of the season including myself. But it's getting harder to justify. Unless the Hawks can pull something similar to a rabbit out of the hat then I think it's the Cats quite comfortably. Doesn't mean I won't be shouting at the box cheering my Hawks in though! Good luck. May the best team win.

The only reason Hawks have any rights to consider themselves a chance for this game is this mystical switch we apparently switch on during finals.

I am not so convinced.

Our best bet is our defence to get on top and make it an arm wrestle as I see the centre square being a blood bath for us.

I think that sounds about right. Most people have been writing Geelong off for the best part of the season including myself.

Yet we finished with a better record against top 8 sides than any other team, and one of our two losses was by two goals away to GWS (which in hindsight was a decent effort given how they dismantled Hawks and Swans).

People read too much into our losses against Collingwood, Carlton and St Kilda. Hawthorn had 4 losses against non-finalists last year but it didn't hurt them come September.

Of course, it's a new season now and form to date counts for nothing. But the commentary around us has been quite funny this season. One week we've been premiership favourites, the next week we've been duds. IMO we've only put in two shockers (v Carlton and v Sydney) - our other three losses could have gone either way with us in front or within a goal late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back