2016 AFL Finals - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Fri, Sept 9, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

You play 4 home games in Taz. We play 2 home at MCG.

So we should play at your home ground where we play 1/2 the number of home games as you at your second "other" home ground.

Yup.. equitable.. and the fact you can't see the issue proves the colour of the glasses.

Go Catters
Professional successful teams win no matter the venue.

Not saying specifically against Hawthorn, I'm saying if youre only playing 2 home games at the G then the majority of the rest are at skilled. Does any other Melbourne based club get that advantage?
Geelong aren't a Melbourne-based club. It's probably difficult for interstate supporters who aren't aware of the geography of Victoria, but Geelong is an entirely different city to Melbourne. It's not a benefit at all, but we've won finals at the MCG, 3 Premierships since '07 in fact, so no excuses.

Not saying specifically against Hawthorn, I'm saying if youre only playing 2 home games at the G then the majority of the rest are at skilled. Does any other Melbourne based club get that advantage?
Geelong is not a Melbourne based club. Geelong is a regional based club forced against its will to play home games in Melbourne to fulfill the AFL's stadium deal agreements because sides like Hawthorn sell games interstate they should be playing at the G and Docklands.

Again I'm fine for any home final we play to be at the G as it has been that way for a very long time now but don't give us this home advantage s**t please. Geelong play in Geelong in the season. Very simple.

Last edited:

No doubt Geelong will show up fired up for the game but hawthorn will be just as fired up. In the last few years the club has dealt with adversity leading into finals series and all its done is brought them together. Hawthorn enjoys being written off which a lot of the media are doing as well as opposing fans which is great. The Hawks will let their footy do the talking. Even though the footy from the guys this season hasn't set the world on fire they have won 17 games -exactly the same as Geelong. Grinding out wins when you play like s**t is a sign of a super team and that's what the Hawks have done this season a number of times but I must say this game will be toss of the coin and I'm very happy that Geelong are warm favourites!
Game will start out very even, missed opportunities by both sides. Second term Hawks will break and lead by 2-3 goals. Geelong will even the scores up early in the third with hawthorn kicking the last few of the term to lead by 10-15 points and in the last term it will be an arm wrestle but the Hawks will have the last laugh. Watch out for a super last quarter by one billy Hartung and the man himself luke hodge.
Hawks by 22

No doubt Geelong will show up fired up for the game but hawthorn will be just as fired up. In the last few years the club has dealt with adversity leading into finals series and all its done is brought them together. Hawthorn enjoys being written off which a lot of the media are doing as well as opposing fans which is great. The Hawks will let their footy do the talking. Even though the footy from the guys this season hasn't set the world on fire they have won 17 games -exactly the same as Geelong. Grinding out wins when you play like s**t is a sign of a super team and that's what the Hawks have done this season a number of times but I must say this game will be toss of the coin and I'm very happy that Geelong are warm favourites!
Game will start out very even, missed opportunities by both sides. Second term Hawks will break and lead by 2-3 goals. Geelong will even the scores up early in the third with hawthorn kicking the last few of the term to lead by 10-15 points and in the last term it will be an arm wrestle but the Hawks will have the last laugh. Watch out for a super last quarter by one billy Hartung and the man himself luke hodge.
Hawks by 22
Will be interesting how the last quarter pans out if it's close at 3/4 time. Geelong has been the clear dominant final quarter side in the competition in 2016, winning 19 and losing just 2 with a percentage of 219%. Hawthorn aren't too shabby themselves, 15 wins, 7 losses with a percentage of 143%. You guys saw firsthand how dominant our last quarters were in Round 1 when the Hawks lead by 2 points at 3/4 time but we won by 30 points.

Looks like there might be spanking weather on Friday night (23 and sunny Thursday), should be perfect for the pacey players on both teams to show their wares and for clean precise ball movement.

Looks like there might be spanking weather on Friday night (23 and sunny Thursday), should be perfect for the pacey players on both teams to show their wares and for clean precise ball movement.

Also good weather for contested marking.

Matt Spangher any chance Hawks fans? I see he's playing development level footy on the w/e to try to get back in your AFL side.

We'll certainly be loading up with tall forwards trying to expose your lack of height in defence, however since Bolton's gone it's become a bit harder to try to expose your lack of height in the coaches box.o_O

Will be interesting how the last quarter pans out if it's close at 3/4 time. Geelong has been the clear dominant final quarter side in the competition in 2016, winning 19 and losing just 2 with a percentage of 219%. Hawthorn aren't too shabby themselves, 15 wins, 7 losses with a percentage of 143%. You guys saw firsthand how dominant our last quarters were in Round 1 when the Hawks lead by 2 points at 3/4 time but we won by 30 points.

Your spot on mate. Geelong have been a great last quarter side all season but you guys are capable of mentally switching off for quarters throughout the season. You have a fair few young players in your side who haven't experience a final as eagerly anticipated and as heated as this will be. Either way may the best teAm win. Round 1 I don't take too much notice of seeing as we had a much later start to pre season and we're always going to run out of steam. I feel the start of the game will be key and I really think the winner of this game will go on to win the GF. GWS aren't ready, WCE struggle at the G, Adelaide shot themselves in the foot by missing the double chance and the chokers from over the border are bound to choke at same stage.
Good luck to your side mate

Matt Spangher any chance Hawks fans? I see he's playing development level footy on the w/e to try to get back in your AFL side.

We'll certainly be loading up with tall forwards trying to expose your lack of height in defence, however since Bolton's gone it's become a bit harder to try to expose your lack of height in the coaches box.o_O

No chance too underdone and that move would reek of desperation. Stratton will be back and depending on how the game is panning out schoenmakers can be thrown back which I'm not too keen on but I'd rather that to a not fit spangher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

insurance only. McEvoy no certainty. If Fitzy struggles could see Spang as relief ruck over Pittonet.

If it's wet it might disadvantage our talls, but the Hawks don't like the contested ball. If it's a tight contested game I'm not sure how the Hawks would compete with the Cats.

If it's wet it might disadvantage our talls, but the Hawks don't like the contested ball. If it's a tight contested game I'm not sure how the Hawks would compete with the Cats.

Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Lewis and Rioli are all good contested ball winners.

Cats have the edge with their talls forwards, Hawks have the edge with their small-medium forwards.

Geelong has the edge on the inside, Hawks the slight edge on the outside.

If it's wet it will favour Geelong.

If Hawthorn don't win the clearances or match Geelong in that area we won't win this game. Long bombs inside Hawthorn's forward 50 will never work against the Geelong back six.

Going to be wet. Might favour the Hawks?

Wet conditions doesn't favour expected big crowd, still sometime to go before first bounce but early signs are not good as crowd doesn't seen to be turning up, major disappointment unless there is late rush, perhaps they've decided to go to Legends game instead and watch old fashioned old-man on old-man footy.

Last edited:

You are suggesting that it would be an advantage for other Melbourne based clubs to play at Skilled? I think the Doggies were offered, but they were forced to stay with their Etihad contract.

I don't know why other teams would also want to play at Skilled. Not sure it would be an advantage for them to play at Skilled as a home game, as they would have to travel away from grounds closer to them.

That's the point. You have a home ground. You play most of your games there. If you end up hosting a final, it should be at your home ground.

No doubt. The ball spending more time on the deck should suit us
You do knock-ons etc really well, so it would suit a certain aspect of your gameplay. And you have fast, agile small forwards who would have an advantage if the ball is booted into their vicinity.

But at the contests, we'd be winning the clearances and contested footy and gaining territorial advantage. And our forward press and repeat inside 50's is a huge strength, so we'd be taking lots of shots at goal.

I think it favours Geelong more.

Um... have you seen the amount of Hawthorn players in the media trying to talk themselves up?

Facts speak for themselves 4 time premiership players they don't need to talk themselves up. Again, we will see what happens next Friday night!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back