Discussion 2016 AFL Finals Series - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 9 this year, @ Spotless:
AFL+Rd+9+GWS+v+Western+Bulldogs+Z8DBL6LqzFkl.jpg

WB wore their cartoon clash in the NAB game @ Manuka but I found no evidence of anything other than royal being worn against GWS apart from that game. I'd be very surprised to see anything other than home/home vs home/white.

Home/white v Home/blue would work best I reckon.

Don't mention it to the Ice-Wolf but wouldn't that just mean Collingwood in home kit? Like, why'd they even decide to go with a toss? Was it because this was the first GF in the "clash jumper era" where one would be needed?
Coolingwood weren't the reigning premiers - Geelong were at the time. But they weren't in the 2010 GF.

Rules is rules I guess. But it's a bad look to agree to a coin toss and then invoke the rules if you lose.
Mero should be able to confirm if this is still the ruling (or even was, it could be a rumour that's become fact)

Mero should be able to confirm if this is still the ruling (or even was, it could be a rumour that's become fact)
It used to be coin toss, but now it's based on Light and Dark uniforms, with the higher ranked team getting first choice.
So Geelong would choose their Light uniform, which comes with White shorts, and Footscray would have their Dark.
Same as Geelong v Port GF in 2007.

Coolingwood weren't the reigning premiers - Geelong were at the time. But they weren't in the 2010 GF.
Did I say reigning? I meant minor. Sorry.
What I'm asking is, if it had been standard that the higher team gets to choose if they wear the white shorts, why didn't they say the higher team gets to choose which jumper they wear, instead of tossing a coin?

I mean there'll be no issues this year, Geelong v GWS is easy, Geelong v Sydney easy, Geelong v WB easy, Sydney v WB easy...

Did I say reigning? I meant minor. Sorry.
What I'm asking is, if it had been standard that the higher team gets to choose if they wear the white shorts, why didn't they say the higher team gets to choose which jumper they wear, instead of tossing a coin?

I mean there'll be no issues this year, Geelong v GWS is easy, Geelong v Sydney easy, Geelong v WB easy, Sydney v WB easy...
GWS V Sydney is the only Clanger. If GWS have a grey back, that would work better than the qualifying final orange v red.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS V Sydney is the only Clanger. If GWS have a grey back, that would work better than the qualifying final orange v red.
Sadly in the real world we know there won't be any coin-toss or "Sydney finished higher" or "GWS beat Sydney already in the Finals" to determine who wears a clash top tho. So it's easy, we know it'll be two full home kits if they play.

Sadly in the real world we know there won't be any coin-toss or "Sydney finished higher" or "GWS beat Sydney already in the Finals" to determine who wears a clash top tho. So it's easy, we know it'll be two full home kits if they play.
First time in a while we'll see that, too.

Rules is rules I guess. But it's a bad look to agree to a coin toss and then invoke the rules if you lose.
Brisbane won the coin toss to wear home shorts vs Collingwood as well. Eddie had another sook about that too. So all of a sudden both sides could wear home shorts.

I cringe every time I see footage of the Giants vs Swans qualy. If they play in the grand final, I hope we see Giants in their home and Sydney in their clash.
In the words of Damien Barrett:

IF we see a Giants vs Sydney Grand Final, THEN both teams WILL be in their home kits

Brisbane won the coin toss to wear home shorts vs Collingwood as well. Eddie had another sook about that too. So all of a sudden both sides could wear home shorts.
As annoying as Eddie might be, those GFs looked pretty good. If only it could've been a catalyst to review the white shorts rule.

I believe Hawthorn requested brown shorts for last year's GF but were knocked back. It would've looked fine.

Does Eddie get his way on these matters simply because he squeals loudest and the AFL just lets him have his way like a parent of a 3 year old lets their toddler have their way to stop a tantrum, or does he legitimately wield that much influence and power??

As annoying as Eddie might be, those GFs looked pretty good. If only it could've been a catalyst to review the white shorts rule.

I believe Hawthorn requested brown shorts for last year's GF but were knocked back. It would've looked fine.

Does Eddie get his way on these matters simply because he squeals loudest and the AFL just lets him have his way like a parent of a 3 year old lets their toddler have their way to stop a tantrum, or does he legitimately wield that much influence and power??
1991. Hawks in gold jumper/brown shorts, Eagles in all Royal. No issue. 2015.... It's apparently a clash.

I actually do believe both are the correct answers... Eddie is a 3yo having a tantrum when he doesn't get his away (and I suspect the AFL doesn't have the b**lls to argue with him) AND he probably does have that much influence and power.

I mean, for crying out loud, how come Collingwood only leave Melbourne a couple of times a year on average? Bit of a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back