Review 2016 AFL National Draft ( incl Rookies and reviews)

Remove this Banner Ad

So in review Geelong's picks are:

26. Brandan Parfitt (medium mid/med fwd NT/nightcliff)

38. Tom Stewart (medium HBF Geelong vfl/sth barwon)

43. Esava Ratouglea (KPF Murray Bushrangers)

60. Quinton Narkle (medium mid-medium forward WA)

67. Tim House (KPF Geelong vfl/newtown/claremont (WA))

69. Ryan Abbott (Ruck/Geelong vfl/Grovedale)

3 kids and 3 mature age players all from our vfl side. Feel free to express your thoughts here, be respectful of each other and don't breach the board rules-we all have differing opinions which we are entitled to. I will put my thoughts up shortly.

You can also talk about who you want us to take in the rookie draft on Monday-we will have 1 pick in the pre season draft and 3 rookie picks or if we pass in the pre season draft then 4 rookie picks. We can now pre list Sam Simpson as a rookie and have one less rookie pick.

Last edited:
Keep in mind also the Simpson will be GFC Rookie pick in the rookie draft after his preselection by us.

GO Catters

Happy with this years lot and probably goes to show how much they rate the guys from the VFL to upgrade then doubt too many supporters will be unhappy....

That was interesting... But what do I know half the guys on my short list didn't get looked at. Looks like there is a lot of talent left for the Rookie draft

I was extremely wrong about House. I wonder what Ruggles is thinking. Is he a trend setter or did they want him to have to earn it. Ryan Abbott out of nowhere.

It will be easier to get hyped once we see them running around on the track.

I like Stewart, he's a tackling machine. But I reckon with the other picks, House and Abbott. they've given priority to players in our VFL team over players in other VFL or other second tier teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Ruggles hasn't been upgraded?

Would be appreciated if someone could post the age or DOB of our new guys.

No, Ruggles has been upgraded. Rookie upgrades are no longer read out on draft night. They're just put onto the main list and the list spot is occupied, which is why we passed when we did.

Will any play next year? I know nothing about all of them.

Stewart was talked about as being ready-made, mind you we have Tuohy and Thurlow to add to our round one backline (with only Enright as an out), so he will have to earn a spot.

Depp draft ...and three of our VFL players ? something seems askew
Not unless the talent evaluation of some of the VFL players after a year, or more, in the system rated them as further along than the 18 year olds in the draft.

Not saying that is the case but there has to be some value to experience in the system.

You see it with Stewart - and whilst im speculating its reasonable to suggest that Scarlo had been consulted over the duration of the year regarding the progress of Stewart - deficiency included - and that the sum of the progress put him in play over the kids taken at 40 odd.

As for House, he seems the right dice roll at 60 odd - shown plenty but needs to start running now to get the tank up to speed.

Abbott - cant talk too much - dont know a lot.

Go Catters

I really don't see why House and Abbott couldn't be rookie-listed players.
I thought this wold be the case -

Abbott I didnt have at all.
Go Catters

Well done Catters. Love our first four picks. A lot to be excited about. Parfitt & Narkle are exactly what we need, exciting break the lines fast players. Will be fun to watch. Ratugolea will also give Buzza a run for his money in the cult following stakes. Could be a bust, but also could be a great get. Love that he has speed, good jumping and not afraid to tackle and go for the ground ball, that's what you want from a key forward these days. Just needs to learn the forward craft. Stewart, super happy with, he's a good player and jumps straight in to the back line. If he was 18, clubs would be jumping over themselves to get him. House I don't know, I thought rookie list at best, but cats obviously see potential, is coming from a low base, so if he can build his tank, giddy up. Abbott is just a reach I think as they just went for the best ruck man they new and they snagged the one under their noses.

Also get Simpson as a free hit. WINNING!

Bring on the Rookie Draft. Henry, Blood, Walker, Scharenberg.

Then bring on the boys first day at pre season training.

Get around them.

GO CATS!!!

Not unless the talent evaluation of some of the VFL players after a year, or more, in the system rated them as further along than the 18 year olds in the draft.

Not saying that is the case but there has to be some value to experience in the system.

You see it with Stewart - and whilst im speculating its reasonable to suggest that Scarlo had been consulted over the duration of the year regarding the progress of Stewart - deficiency included - and that the sum of the progress put him in play over the kids taken at 40 odd.

As for House, he seems the right dice roll at 60 odd - shown plenty but needs to start running now to get the tank up to speed.

Abbott - cant talk too much - dont know a lot.

Go Catters

I agree with all of that... but Im starting to get a little concerned that we have so many late pick , high development required , roll of the dice players. Buying 15 "100 to 1" shot horses does not necessarily give one a better shot at winning the Melb cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back