2016 Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Not huge news but Alex De Minaur (Australian 17 year old who lives in Spain) is having a good run at the Eckental Indoor Challenger event in Germany.

He won his three qualifying rounds and then beat Kenny De Schepper (ranked 159) in round one of the main draw.

The cut off ranking for the main draw was 211 so it is a high standard event.

He has a winnable round 2 match as well.

The race between Thompson and Millman for 3rd in the Aussie rankings will be a close one.

Perhaps due to his injury at Ningbo a couple of weeks ago, John is skipping next week's Challenger event in Kobe - for which he was the defending champion. That non-defence will drop his points tally back to 665, which will be at least 10 points behind Thompson depending on how Jordan does in Canberra this week.

Thompson is also down to play Kobe and Toyota; but if he does very well again in Canberra, I can't see him running his body into the ground for 4 consecutive weeks leading into the off-season, and he really has no need to given that direct acceptance into the AO is assured for him.

And both guys would now need to reach at least the semi-finals of any Challenger event they enter to gain any points.

The race between Thompson and Millman for 3rd in the Aussie rankings will be a close one.

Perhaps due to his injury at Ningbo a couple of weeks ago, John is skipping next week's Challenger event in Kobe - for which he was the defending champion. That non-defence will drop his points tally back to 665, which will be at least 10 points behind Thompson depending on how Jordan does in Canberra this week.

Thompson is also down to play Kobe and Toyota; but if he does very well again in Canberra, I can't see him running his body into the ground for 4 consecutive weeks leading into the off-season, and he really has no need to given that direct acceptance into the AO is assured for him.

And both guys would now need to reach at least the semi-finals of any Challenger event they enter to gain any points.
Could Johnny potentially drop out of the 100?

Could Johnny potentially drop out of the 100?

No, he's quite safely within the Top 100 even after the Kobe points are deducted - although with a ranking in the mid-80s, it's not going to be much higher than where he began the year in spite of all his achievements.

And remember he had a fantastic start to 2016, which he is going to have to defend almost immediately in 2017...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many Aussies in finals in Canberra, flat track bullies? ;)

Can't blame no one else coming down when it's only two challengers, really need to add some more.

Jordan Thompson inflating his ranking a little bit with these, smart move. Polmans will have direct entry into qualies at AO, wonder if he is a sneaky chance for a WC.

De Minaur is into the Semi's with a win over Melzer. This is an impressive run.

Wins his Semi, plays number 5 seed and world number 105 Steve Darcis in the final.

A bonus is he got into the French Challenger for the upcoming week as a special exempt as he has missed the start of qualifying.

Last edited:
Am on holidays in Greece (Greek background), and whilst wondering around Heraklion stumbled across a Futures tornament. I ended up staying and watching a bit, and was surprised to see an Aussie called Scott Browne was playing in it. I've never heard of him before, but I decided to stay and watch him play an unranked Romanian, and ended up seeing him win 60 62 and was really impressed. Could potentially be a top 300 prospect. Anyone have any info on him?

Am on holidays in Greece (Greek background), and whilst wondering around Heraklion stumbled across a Futures tornament. I ended up staying and watching a bit, and was surprised to see an Aussie called Scott Browne was playing in it. I've never heard of him before, but I decided to stay and watch him play an unranked Romanian, and ended up seeing him win 60 62 and was really impressed. Could potentially be a top 300 prospect. Anyone have any info on him?

Melbourne Cup one week, holidaying in Greece the next... you're living the dream!!! :thumbsu:

Don't know anything about Scott Browne though sorry.

Last edited:
Melbourne Cup one week, holidaying in Greece the next... your're living the dream!!! :thumbsu:

Don't know anything about Scott Browne though sorry.
Yep! Present from parents for VCE results last year, and being a Greek boy where else was I going to go?;)
Also saw Alex Zverev here in Greece:D

He's 26 and he struggles to qualify for Futures tournaments.

http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100103737

Remove this Banner Ad

Back