Preview 2016 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Petracca likely for Round 2?

Thanks.
Highly unlikely and I would go as far to say almost certainly not. All things going well I'd expect him to debut against either Collingwood or Richmond (Round 4-5). He needs at least a few games to find his feet in the VFL, as he hasn't played a game at any level since late 2014.

Hey guys what role do you see Bugg playing this year? Looked real good during the NAB cup. Will he tag?

Hey guys what role do you see Bugg playing this year? Looked real good during the NAB cup. Will he tag?

At the moment I would say he's fringe and battling for a spot alongside Matt Jones, Viv Michie, and a couple of others.

In years gone by Petracca might go straight into the 22 without needing to find form in the VFL first, because we were at a stage where it didn't really matter if he was rusty.

Now it's not a risk we're willing to take, because we're actually in a position to be looking to win each game and we need every player ready to go.

It's a nice change, as annoying as his extended absence is.

He's actually been playing an outside role during pre-season which he is likely to take into the season proper, with Vince going back to provide a bit of class and composure moving the ball out of defence which I have liked. So no it is unlikely Bugg will tag. Whilst his defensive game is very good, the club clearly rates what he brings to the table offensively.

I see him as the guy on the wing or coming off half back, providing support on the outside of packs and laying tackles and defensive pressure. Also, has the ability to get his hands dirty on the inside when needed. Unless he does something terribly wrong I see him as consistent 22 all year. I think whether he tags or not depends on who we are playing. Roo's and Goodwin dont seem to like using the traditional tag and would rather have a Vince or Viney run with a gun and try to beat them at their own game which they managed to do a bit last year.

Love the fact that we are competitive now, but have players like Petracca, Oliver, Weideman, Trengove who are not best 22 necessarily yet. Still talent to come into the side! Unlike the old days

Garlands problem is he quite often just lays the ball onto the boot long down the line to opposition players under no pressure at all
His tackling can be brilliant but he needs to give our blokes a better chance of holding the footy

This is true! Back when he started it probably wasn't such an issue but now footballers are so efficient at moving the footy that any uncontested turnover can be dangerous. Needs to at least get it to a 50 - 50 if he is clearing the ball under pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garlands problem is he quite often just lays the ball onto the boot long down the line to opposition players under no pressure at all
His tackling can be brilliant but he needs to give our blokes a better chance of holding the footy
I'm not convinced he's a great tackler. Just as he's all too happy to see the ball over the boundary line, he's also happy to coral his man over rather than tackle, from my recent observations.

I used to absolutely love him, but as the general intensity from the guys around him has improved over the last two years, he's started to appear lethargic and overly negative to me.

At the moment I would say he's fringe and battling for a spot alongside Matt Jones, Viv Michie, and a couple of others.
Fringe? I reckon the only thing Fringe about Bugg is on his head. He's easily best 22 based on NAB Cup form

FWIW, AFL.com.au has released their take on each club's best 22.

This is their Melbourne team. Not a bad effort, although I'd have Harmes in for Lumumba and Pedersen in for Petracca, at this stage.

B: Neville Jetta, Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland
HB: Tom Bugg, Tom McDonald, Christian Salem
C: Angus Brayshaw, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson
HF: Dean Kent, Sam Frost, Aaron vandenBerg
F: Jeff Garlett, Jesse Hogan, Jack Watts

Foll: Max Gawn, Bernie Vince, Jack Viney

INT: Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca, Heritier Lumumba, Ben Kennedy

The main area of contention is who the second tall forward will be to accompany Jesse Hogan. Sam Frost gets the nod because of his versatility, speed and forward-line pressure. Injured forward Chris Dawes remains out of the team until he can prove he deserves a spot. Recruits Tom Bugg and Ben Kennedy come in as they both fall under the category of 'competitor', a key criteria the Demons' match committee will take into account when selecting the team in 2016. Heritier Lumumba, despite an injury-interrupted pre-season, retains his spot ahead of promising youngster James Harmes. If fit and in form, Christian Petracca earns his place in the 22 based on his talent and potential. - Ben Guthrie

Not a bad 22. I do wonder about the ruck though. That setup has Gawn doing 90% of the work, with Frost and possibly Dunn the only others who could help out. I'd be tempted to have Pedersen in there so it's more like a 75-25% split - I think he can probably do more solid ruckwork than Frost.
So maybe Pedersen for Frost.

Not a bad 22. I do wonder about the ruck though. That setup has Gawn doing 90% of the work, with Frost and possibly Dunn the only others who could help out. I'd be tempted to have Pedersen in there so it's more like a 75-25% split - I think he can probably do more solid ruckwork than Frost.
So maybe Pedersen for Frost.

It's a funny one - I actually have no idea who's better in the ruck between Pedersen and Frost. I wonder if we could play both in the team?

It's a funny one - I actually have no idea who's better in the ruck between Pedersen and Frost. I wonder if we could play both in the team?

Wondered that myself but I really hate to sacrifice any sort of speed/versatility for both of them.
From the best 22 above the only one I'd feel fairly confident dropping would be Petracca, but purely because he's an unknown entity. I get the feeling by the end of this year it'll be hard to argue that.

Wondered that myself but I really hate to sacrifice any sort of speed/versatility for both of them.
From the best 22 above the only one I'd feel fairly confident dropping would be Petracca, but purely because he's an unknown entity. I get the feeling by the end of this year it'll be hard to argue that.

Frost covers both of these. Pedo can play both ends too. I think theres room for both. T Mac is also very athletic so I don't think it'd slow us down.

We probably could because non of our KPP are "dinosaurs" and are quite mobile and versatile.
All but hogan can/will play in another position at some point, just keep the hulk at full forward:mad:

Dunn listed as an emergency? Thought he was a sure shot for round 1 as I considered him best 22 at least.

Dunn listed as an emergency? Thought he was a sure shot for round 1 as I considered him best 22 at least.

It's an interesting one. He is best 22, however with the best 3 tall forwards out for GWS, and Dunn coming off a niggle, Roos probably saw an opportunity to get another senior game into Oscar McDonald who will eventually replace Dunn in our backline. I think you'll see Dunn back in the side Round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back