Opinion 2016 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather play a kid ahead of both. Tutts run is good but he just butchers the footy, I'd rather sosos play as he is going to be a deadset gun
Pretty much every single Carlton supporter would like to see that, definitely we will have a preference to play the young recruits over a guy like Tutt, but they have to earn it. We need to be as competitive as possible and whilst we will give the kids some games Bolts will also be conscious of having guys who can play to the team structure and run out 4 quarters (which kids in their first year will struggle to do), just my opinion but I think Tutt will get more games than most on here would like.

Of course not, which makes it even more imperative for the club to set the standards required for us to get back there down the track.

Talent will only get you so far at the elite level and no player should be able to rest on their laurels and demand a spot on talent alone.

I'm very excited to see how Charlie develops but if we're playing him at senior level because he's talented, then we're playing him at that level for the wrong reason.

Just as with every player on the list, he needs to work hard for a spot and if he does, he'll be rewarded.

The noise is that he'll start round one..... Earned or not.

We'll see.

My best 22 at this stage would be

B Weitering Jamo Tuohy
HB Simpson Docherty Buckley
C Boekhorst Cripps Gibbs
Foll Kreuzer Murphy Kerridge
HF Thomas Gorringe Everitt
FF Lamb Casboult Walker
Int E Curnow, C Curnow, Whiley, Graham

I am a little concerned with the pace off the bench. would like to see Smith get a few games in a row at some stage and I think Galluci could replace Lamb. Lamb has a big question mark on his disposal at this stage in my opinion. I can't see the point in moving forward with Rowe as he is a bit slow and very fumbly around the ball. Better off blooding younger guys and if a hard body is needed I would stick with white at this stage.

Anyway just my thoughts.
Your backline looks a bit short. IMO this year Weitering should be more of a 3rd tall / floating defender

If you had to pick just 1 FP right now who would it be?
I don'[t see Thomas as a true FP btw.

Lamb?
Gallucci?
Sumner?
Buckley?
Tutt?
Smith?
Armfield?
Wright?

(it'd be Wright for me)

Of course not, which makes it even more imperative for the club to set the standards required for us to get back there down the track.

Talent will only get you so far at the elite level and no player should be able to rest on their laurels and demand a spot on talent alone.

I'm very excited to see how Charlie develops but if we're playing him at senior level because he's talented, then we're playing him at that level for the wrong reason.

Just as with every player on the list, he needs to work hard for a spot and if he does, he'll be rewarded.

Yes we don't want another Yarran.

But the beauty is with Bolts in charge we can be confident that the standard is being set...he constantly mentions it in his media appearance...about being united and giving max effort.

Its basically the reason why the talented Jaksch is still on the outer...so no way would Curnow be gifted games...he must be earning it which is exciting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

after watching the three nab games i like this side

buckley jamison plowman
docherty weitering tuohy

kruezer gibbs graham
boekhurst cripps simpson

kerridge casboult murphy
smith rowe walker

whiley byrne e.curnow wright

i have real doubts on gorringe everitt tutt lamb & white

when ready cuningham g-mccasker mckay & silvagni

and i am putting aline through thomas & jones

AFTER NAB CHALLENGE MATCH NO. 3

FB - Zach Tuohy, Michael Jamison, Lachie Plowman
HB - Kade Simpson, Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering
C - Blaine Boekhorst, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
HF - Bryce Gibbs, Andrejs Everitt, Sam Kerridge
FF - Sam Rowe, Levi Casboult, Andrew Walker
R - Matthew Kreuzer, Nick Graham, Marc Murphy
I - Dylan Buckley, Simon White, Andrew Phillips, Mark Whiley

E - Matthew Wright, Ciaran Byrne, Dale Thomas

jeez rowe looked terrible today against the swans. that said, i still think we will go with jamo and rowe as keys with weitering the third tall. eventually i think we will end up with jamo weitering and plowman (once he is full fitness). Daisy really looks uninspired at the moment, and borderline useless. Bolton however, seems like someone who would back him in. besides, you can't have someone on 800k in the twos.. can you?

round 1 side prediction:

FB weitering Jamison Tuohy
HB Docherty Rowe Simpson
C Thomas Gibbs E curnow
HF Kerridge Everitt Boekhorst
FF Lamb Casboult Walker
R Kruezer Cripps Murphy
I buckley White Phillips Wright

E: Whiley C Curnow Tutt Byrne

Eventually id like to see plowman and c curnow come in for white and rowe

FB Weitering Jamison Touhy
HB Docherty Plowman Simpson
C Boekhorst Gibbs E.Curnow
HF Kerridge Everitt Rowe
FF Lamb Casboult Walker
C Kruezer Cripps Murphy
I/C Buckley C.Curnow White Wright

Best 22:

FB: Weitering Jamison Tuohy
HB: Docherty Rowe/Plowman Simpson
C: Boekhorst Cripps Gibbs
HF: Wright Everitt Kerridge
F: Lamb Casboult Phillips
R: Kreuzer Murphy Graham
I/C: E.Curnow, Buckley, C. Curnow, A. Walker

EMG: White, Whiley, Smith,

Rowe starts the year ahead of Plowman due to having form (not good form, but it beats not being on the park).

I have given Lamb the FP over Smith due to a more consistent showing. Whiley, who has worked hard, lacks some polish. White is under-sized and therefore an inappropriate replacement for Rowe

Best 22 .

Tuohy Jamison Plowman
Simpson Weitering Docherty
Boekhorst Cripps Murphy
Kerridge Jaksch C.Curnow
Walker Casboult Lamb

Kruezer Gibbs Graham

Phillips E.Curnow Buckley Wright

Taking on board (and hoping) Silvagni's comments that Jaksch has finally put the bit between his teeth .
Want to see Cuningham pushing hard for senior games at stages this year .
I just haven't seen enough of Byrne at this time , hopefully he can be the bolter .
Conversely , and unfortunately , i have seen enough of Rowe , Thomas , Everitt , Jones and Tutt .
Can't see a spot for them where we're going ...

I always thought the critics went too hard, too early, on BB. Saw a few tgings early last year that made me think he nay be something. And in 3 nab games so far i an convinced he can be an elite outside mid by the time we are a competitive side. And elite outside mids make a competitive side a really good side. Here's hoping, but last night he was brilliant. Rowe and everett were equally bad. I think we need andrejs' versatility this year more than ever, so hoping he can rediscover his 2005 form, but Rowe is done

I think most have got a pretty similar 22 for round 1.
5 of the back 6 are locks - Rowe the only concern. Jacksch, White, plowman as possible replacements.
On ballers have picked themselves.
Kerridge, graham, boek, wright, Buckley have shown enough to add depth.
The worry is the forward line (surprise, surprise). Cas, dre and walker are all locks but are sadly out of touch.
Lamb tries hard but doesn't get the ball.
Kruez and Phillips don't mark it.
Daisy struggling.
Unfortunately Phillips and Gorringe are still projects - both very athletic but don't mark the ball - which is what we need from the resting ruck, and get pushed around too easily in ruck contests. Don't be surprised if wood gets a few games whilst they continue to develop.

I'd look at c curnow and hope armfield gets back quickly. Smith needs to show something in the VFL to get a look in for the small forward role.

Last edited:
If you had to pick just 1 FP right now who would it be?
I don'[t see Thomas as a true FP btw.

Lamb?
Gallucci?
Sumner?
Buckley?
Tutt?
Smith?
Armfield?
Wright?

(it'd be Wright for me)

Probably Wright at the moment but im hopeful smith can develop. has had a good pre season. sumner is he can get fit and gallucci has impressed with workrate. i still see buckley as a defender

Have no idea what the 22 will be come round 1, but we have something like this by years end, we may have a reasonable platform.

Simpson Jamison Plowman
Byrne Weiteirng Tuohy

Kreuzer Gibbs Murphy
Docherty Cripps Boekhorst

Kerridge Casboult Thomas
Smith Walker CCurnow

Graham Phillips Cuningham Everitt

No Rowe...White...Armfield...Tutt...Jones

Still wouldn't mind Gorringe being developed as a back-man.
He's not a forward nor will he be a ruck-man.

Have no idea what the 22 will be come round 1, but we have something like this by years end, we may have a reasonable platform.

Simpson Jamison Plowman
Byrne Weiteirng Tuohy

Kreuzer Gibbs Murphy
Docherty Cripps Boekhorst

Kerridge Casboult Thomas
Smith Walker CCurnow

Graham Phillips Cuningham Everitt

No Rowe...White...Armfield...Tutt...Jones

Still wouldn't mind Gorringe being developed as a back-man.
He's not a forward nor will he be a ruck-man.
I agree. Has the strength and athleticism to play CHB and isn't a deer in the headlights with the ball either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back